Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is just AMAZING .

Have you had the chance to read the PAR in your tank ?

Par levels are 200 1" from bottom--450 just below the surface. Sweet spot for most acros is 300-350.

So you have 2 photoperiods each day?

No, my lights are on from 11am-7pm. They all come on at once, I don't use any dawn or dusk lighting schedules.

Gondore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a ATI Sunpower 8 bulb along with a Reefbrite XHO over my 48x22x30 tank. It is a mixed reef but primary sps. What bulb combo, photoperiod and height from the water for the fixture would you suggest for my tank?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bulb combo of choice is the same Blue+ and Coral+ for Sps. Your Reefbrites will serve to add more blue aesthetically which is fine. I'd start at about 9-10 inches......I wouldn't go lower than 7-8" once things settle in.

Main 8 bulbs eight hours.............Reefbrites I wouldn't do more than a total of 6 hours mid day. I'd start at 4.

Those Reefbrites XHO can be overkill of that single 450nm range........it's too narrow and can cause problems with colors longer term. This is based on what I've seen on friends Sps tanks that overdue it on number of hours per day. They will also tend to turn rainbow acans and chalices orange.

I would prefer more of a mixed LED from 400-465 for supplementating.

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BigED,

love the tank and aquascape so far! I have a 90g sps build with similar lighting and dimensions...I also prefer the look of fewer larger colonies with an emphasis on color combinations... What fish do you have in your system? Also interested in that name of last colony picture posted(44)..

Mark

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a canopy? If so do you vent it?

Right now I don't, but I'm in the process of making just a floating canopy for looks. The bottom and top will be open air for passive cooling.

BigED,

love the tank and aquascape so far! I have a 90g sps build with similar lighting and dimensions...I also prefer the look of fewer larger colonies with an emphasis on color combinations... What fish do you have in your system? Also interested in that name of last colony picture posted(44)..

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I want the open look but it's hard to do with small tank and big colonies........it's seems I'm always cutting/fragging for looks. I also am very picky about color combos and artistic aquascaping. I've changed my mind a bunch of times on how I want the tank to look...........more artsy/fartsy type stuff like themes and aquascaping rules.

Right now I have two 4-5" genicanthus angels........watanabei and bellus females and one purple firefish.........I lost a few fish about 4-5 months ago when all the pics in this thread were taken, so I want to get my bioload up more and add more smaller fish.

I've got a half dozen anthias I'll be adding that are in QT right now. I might add one or two more small fish and that's it.

Post 44 pic is my Pearlberry colony

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the open look but it's hard to do with small tank and big colonies........it's seems I'm always cutting/fragging for looks. I also am very picky about color combos and artistic aquascaping. I've changed my mind a bunch of times on how I want the tank to look...........more artsy/fartsy type stuff like themes and aquascaping rules.

Ha yes, definitely harder to have both! The predictability in terms of colors and growth of the 'classics' helps in this regard, however, it takes a lot of willpower to say no to adding more goodies....My tank is half landscaped/ half frag tank after 2 years, still looking for that new colony that will bring it all together... Can't wait to see how your aquascape evolves!

Mark

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some newer shots I took last week-

I really like these branch type shots--

Turquoise with sky blue tip Hoeksemai

hoeki%20branch_zpsj6dttois.jpg

Yellow Caroliniana

caroliniana%20colony_zpsvzcnsmus.jpg

Shortcake

shortcake%20ultra_zpslmz9062e.jpg

Wild raspberry

wild%20rasberry_zpscoxnsaf5.jpg

Oregon Tort

Oregon%20adn%20turg_zpsi6tdxpqr.jpg

Paletta

paletta%20closeup_zps8cfdkebe.jpg

Purple Monster

purple%20monster%20branch_zpsziqmhbdy.jpg

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some newer shots I took last week-

I really like these branch type shots--

Turquoise with sky blue tip Hoeksemai

hoeki%20branch_zpsj6dttois.jpg

Yellow Caroliniana

caroliniana%20colony_zpsvzcnsmus.jpg

Shortcake

shortcake%20ultra_zpslmz9062e.jpg

Wild raspberry

wild%20rasberry_zpscoxnsaf5.jpg

Oregon Tort

Oregon%20adn%20turg_zpsi6tdxpqr.jpg

Paletta

paletta%20closeup_zps8cfdkebe.jpg

Purple Monster

purple%20monster%20branch_zpsziqmhbdy.jpg

that wild raspberry is awesome! awesome wrk on the tank. have you ever thought about selling your trimmings?

1000_smiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ed,
No problems running T5s on the Icecap ballast?
Do you have it wired according to the diagram on the ballast?
I have read that it is the wrong ballast for T5s.
Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back