Big E Rimless 80g Sps

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Sps dominant reef is a work in progress , but here's some recent acro shots.

Paletta%20mother_zpsieze6bio.jpg

hawkins%20mother_zpsmhnckrxr.jpg

razz%20wild_zpscvrzsrl4.jpg

hokie_zpsd9sctoxd.jpg

ice%20fire_zpsowv2v771.jpg
canary%20macro%20052915_zpsxcludjnu.jpg

shortcake%20group%20062315_zps7p3z3ce6.jpg

purple%20monster%203-20_zps8cwq7ln6.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ed stuff is looking good! Ill be hitting you up for some stuff soon. I lost a lot of my sps recently.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Ed. Great colours as usual. :)

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the kind words everyone.

System basics--

Berlin style bb system, although I'm experimenting with some light rubble on a small portion of the tank, just for looks.

Large oversized skimmer-- Aquamaxx ConeS 3......total water volume 100g.
10% water change weekly with IO
4x 54w T5 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ on Ice Cap 660 ballast
No additives
Occasional use of GFO & carbon................usually use half the recommended amount. If I would have gone one notch higher with the skimmer I'd never have to use the GFO.
Temp- 77 -78

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great man! Do you still have my old bananaberry acro?

I do, but moved it to my frag tank as I couldn't find a good spot to place it high with good flow. It's a big blob and browned out some now, but I still plan to find a spot for it in the display.

Hey ed stuff is looking good! Ill be hitting you up for some stuff soon. I lost a lot of my sps recently.

Hi George,
I just read about that & very sorry . I'm sure I can work up something for you, just let me know. Are you going to the C-Sea swap in October?

Very nice.
Love the real red color on your red planet.

I didn't post a red planet pic but there is one on my tank thread on the other forum. Here it is before I cut a few pieces off for Jon and another guy.--

red%20planet_zps9ywgtlrm.jpg

As far as your pm to my reds in my acros.....I attribute that to my bulb combo. Coral+ do a very good job of bringing out reds and I don't use too much blue light to oversaturate them. Overdriving the bulbs may also play a part......not sure I can prove that though, but the best tank I ever saw is person was also overdriven with T5 bulbs.

I also make a point of keeping corals with good dna. I had a good half dozen red millis and I only kept the few I really liked. I'm very selective about color and the acros have to prove it my tank to stay. That's also why my tank is dominated by mostly old school proven acros.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick corals dude! I'm trying so hard to get good red colors but so far no luck. I run an 8 bulb ATI fixture. 4 blue +, 2 pure actinic, 1 coral plus, and 1 purple plus. I dose red sea trace elements and coral nutrition.
Do you dose and/or feed regularly?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi George,
I just read about that & very sorry . I'm sure I can work up something for you, just let me know. Are you going to the C-Sea swap in October?

Hey ed, yes i do plan on going to c-sea. Ill of course be in touch. Once again everything looks fantastic.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw corals look great

Thanks.............the last pic is a small red planet.

Sick corals dude! I'm trying so hard to get good red colors but so far no luck. I run an 8 bulb ATI fixture. 4 blue +, 2 pure actinic, 1 coral plus, and 1 purple plus. I dose red sea trace elements and coral nutrition.
Do you dose and/or feed regularly?

Thanks, I would swap out your actinics for Coral+ bulbs. The other thing that's important is that coral pigments and chromo proteins from different acros all have different spectrum and intensity needs. I run only those two bulbs because they cover all spectrum needs with good intensity. Since my spectrum is consistent across the whole tank I only have to find the right height(intensity) to place the coral for best color.

Speaking strictly for acros--------
If you run more blue- purple it will satisfy your eyes on the ambient look, but the corals don't need or want that. It comes down to a trade off...........do you want the colors in the corals or just splash some colored lights on them? More blue/purple light with give you more fluorescence in orange, yellow, and green mostly, but if you overdue it, it's at the expense of visually washing out reds and to some extent purple and blue.

I don't dose any coral additives,aminos or foods. I feed the fish twice a day fairly heavy.

Hey ed, yes i do plan on going to c-sea. Ill of course be in touch. Once again everything looks fantastic.

Thanks George.......sounds good.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back