Big News (possibly from Ebay)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't know if this affects sales here - but on Ebay - I just sold a non-reef related item. (for $15.50). I noted that the buyer was charged $2.40 in sales tax. When I checked with PayPal - it turns out I'm required to remit this to Texas (this is new as of November 2019) - and if you do a lot of selling on ebay could result in having to pay/fill out sales tax forms in multiple sites.. Has anyone heard of this previously?

Ryan Turner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ebay is suppose to be paying the taxes for the seller. they charge the buyer tax but the seller doesnt have to report it to the state, ebay takes care of it. (from what I have been told and i buy alot of ebay. and now pay alot of tax on ebay)

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is I didn't just get charged tax on the(used) item but I also got charged tax on shipping as well which is a complete joke in my opinion. Whole thing is ridiculous when dealing with used merchandise that has already been taxed...pretty soon our state here in Minnesota will start charging sales tax at rummage sales as well :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Added reason I will check Ebay . . . LAST

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this affects sales here - but on Ebay - I just sold a non-reef related item. (for $15.50). I noted that the buyer was charged $2.40 in sales tax. When I checked with PayPal - it turns out I'm required to remit this to Texas (this is new as of November 2019) - and if you do a lot of selling on ebay could result in having to pay/fill out sales tax forms in multiple sites.. Has anyone heard of this previously?

Adios Ebay! Wait until the masses who sell on Ebay are faced w/sending $$$ to different states...haha. Better yet, wait until states have to TRY and collect... that's even funnier. Hmmm someone didn't think this out before writing this new tax code.
We're all going to be tax evaders - going to be selling reef gear in back alleys...

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent ya'all figured out you are working for the State in which you live and die.

Once you get old enough for nursing homes in your State.....they start a "spend-down" at the rate of about $15,000 per month.

As long as you KEEP LIVING they'll take your entire lifes saving down to about $100k then stop.

My father had about $600k then got Parkinsons. State of Ohio took $500k away from my mom and left her with $100k and the value of your home. Everything else moneywise was taken from her by the State if Ohio...as my Dad wasted away at the nursing home for 2.5yrs.

So while you're working your butt off at work...just remember the State in which you live will probably get about 80% of your life saving if you end up in a nursing home.

Your State owns you. Like OWNS you....
Get back to work and make lots of money for your State

Last edited:

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay has been doing this for WA for a year now (year and 2 months to be exact) It sure cut down my purchases from there in that time.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent ya'all figured out you are working for the State in which you live and die.

Once you get old enough for nursing homes in your State.....they start a "spend-down" at the rate of about $15,000 per month.

As long as you KEEP LIVING they'll take your entire lifes saving down to about $100k then stop.

My father had about $600k then got Parkinsons. State of Ohio took $500k away from my mom and left her with $100k and the value of your home. Everything else moneywise was taken from her by the State if Ohio...as my Dad wasted away at the nursing home for 2.5yrs.

So while you're working your butt off at work...just remember the State in which you live will probably get about 80% of your life saving if you end up in a nursing home.

Your State owns you. Like OWNS you....
Get back to work and make lots of money for your State

A good lawyer can help avoid that, and no I am not a lawyer. Planning ahead is key.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ebay is suppose to be paying the taxes for the seller. they charge the buyer tax but the seller doesnt have to report it to the state, ebay takes care of it. (from what I have been told and i buy alot of ebay. and now pay alot of tax on ebay)
they are supposed to - (thats what the state of TX told me - but Ebay and PayPal are separate companies - I have a call into ebay

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adios Ebay! Wait until the masses who sell on Ebay are faced w/sending $$$ to different states...haha. Better yet, wait until states have to TRY and collect... that's even funnier. Hmmm someone didn't think this out before writing this new tax code.
We're all going to be tax evaders - going to be selling reef gear in back alleys...
right - thats what I mean - I sell maybe 3 things on ebay a year - if I have to get a sales tax form from each state - and fill it out - forget it - I'm not going to sell

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
eBay has been doing this for WA for a year now (year and 2 months to be exact) It sure cut down my purchases from there in that time.

the difference is that they are asking me (the seller) to collect the sales tax - and then fill out a sales tax for for Texas. to me that is different than ebay collecting the tax and sending it to tX. Btw - when I called the Texas number - staying on hold for 30 minutes - the woman said - ebay pays the tax - then she went and talked to a supervisor - and said - no you need to fill out form 01-165

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the difference is that they are asking me (the seller) to collect the sales tax - and then fill out a sales tax for for Texas. to me that is different than ebay collecting the tax and sending it to tX. Btw - when I called the Texas number - staying on hold for 30 minutes - the woman said - ebay pays the tax - then she went and talked to a supervisor - and said - no you need to fill out form 01-165
Oh - and btw - I called ebay - they said - no we collect the tax - then they said oh wait maybe we dont. Maybe PayPal does. Still waiting for a call back

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back