Big problem

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering !! Wish me luck! Any info on trying flick in combination with vibrant? I haven’t even began to tap the vibrant thread.
Most of the people who posted stopped Vibrant treatment to dose Fluc. Vibrant has has some great success, but has also had some major setbacks for users. I think that some of the most reported issues with Vibrant are cyano and other bacteria blooms. This might be related to die-off of algae though.

Like I said, I haven't heard of one person seeing any negative effects of using flucanazole, so I would go for trying that first. Adding in other products may counteract results. I would keep an eye on your nutrient levels as things start to die off, and perhaps even manually remove as much as you can before/while treating.

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I seriously will give this a go! Thanks for the uplift! Are you sharing your battle in a thread anywhere? Great looking tank!! Good luck!
No, but I really should have documented it better. I didn't even take any pictures! I started to notice my algae get lighter in color after a week, and it really started to thin out, and come off the rock on its own. When I did my first water change a ton of it came off very easily. Going to keep dosing up every two weeks and hope it all dies off. This stuff is the devil!

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely update pics over the treatment! I took a bunch of pics today! Can you guys say this is most likely GHA?
f5ed54bacd501a49a8077329c226fd3e.jpg
c11461f68217f137ac5e7e05a6c8a008.jpg
685c784858c2d5ac346c4438c11628f5.jpg
252e322fa2c0f3324775c4bfad8b5aad.jpg
d7cec6f0110125aca0c0749de1e0e2ab.jpg
ad97c62c3bd306a95c07766fc1a5092d.jpg
926f9795f43c58cf3ef59009a83a964b.jpg
287bbacd205d4cb44f56ceac64696153.jpg

Photo bomb
4004e037d2b09b0cb1b91f3fd55e696f.jpg

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely update pics over the treatment! I took a bunch of pics today! Can you guys say this is most likely GHA?

It definitely looks like GHA, in one of the pictures it looks like it may be 'feathery' at the end, which might be some bryopsis (if you have any, it will die with the fluc for sure) but almost all of what I can see in the pictures looks like GHA. I've never had GHA in my own tank, but one of my LFS has been plagued by it in the past.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae is a pain, i have got this in my nano after winning a battle to the light green hair algae. This one is more darker, just like yours...starving it out didn't work...and when you scrape it off it comes
faster back then you want! I'm using vibrant in combo with astrea snails to hopefully beat this algae. It makes the tank look like ****, even though we spent alot of time to it!

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Deniss, it definitely is! I’m thinking it’s not even worth cleaning at this point because it comes back worse than it was. Good luck with the vibrant and snails. Let me know if you get good results. Do you have a pic of yours?
I went ahead and ordered the Fluconazole. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Nutrients are creeping up a little so I’m gonna do a 30 gal water change. I’m hoping to dose meds over the next day or 2. I will update each day with new pics.

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start this tank with dry rock? I ask because I have been battling the same stuff for a long time. My tank is 5 years old and I started with dry rock. I have been doing this for 25+ years but always used live rock in the past. We never had any of these problems unless you just absolutely neglected your tank. I really am beginning to think all of these problems come from using the dry rock, but I haven't switched it out yet, my rock pieces are big and hard to manage. So I scrub them a lot :(. Good luck!

Last edited:

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lived anywhere near me, I would give you my Mexican turbo snails. They absolutely devastated a GHA outbreak of mine. They are ravenous, and relentless. I didn't see what your CUC consisted of, but they come highly recommended by me.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is just so painful to look at and I feel for you. You sure do have some beautiful coral and fish in there so hope you find a resolution soon. Following along to see what eventually works.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Deniss, it definitely is! I’m thinking it’s not even worth cleaning at this point because it comes back worse than it was. Good luck with the vibrant and snails. Let me know if you get good results. Do you have a pic of yours?
I went ahead and ordered the Fluconazole. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Nutrients are creeping up a little so I’m gonna do a 30 gal water change. I’m hoping to dose meds over the next day or 2. I will update each day with new pics.

I will try to get it on picture, i hope the combo of vibrant and astrea's does the trick! Make sure to hold flucanazole longer then suggested, i believe they suggest 21 days for hair algae. Good luck mate!

Did you start this tank with dry rock? I ask because I have been battling the same stuff for a long time. My tank is 5 years old and I started with dry rock. I have been doing this for 25+ years but always used live rock in the past. We never had any of these problems unless you just absolutely neglected your tank. I really am beginning to think all of these problems come from using the dry rock, but I haven't switched it out yet, my rock pieces are big and hard to manage. So I scrub them a lot :(. Good luck!

I have the same algae, and started with live rock only. System is 2 years old now.

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did start with dry rock. Have had a hard time seeding to grow coralline. Grows all over glass, overflows, pumps, frag plugs and discs. Has me a little curious. Was running for about a year with no issues. Like yourself, I’ve had tanks for almost 15 years and with live rock I never experienced this. I like the look of the dry rock and the price. Really hope it’s not what’s costing me? Maybe others have had similar issues or possible explanations and will chime in. Thanks

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of the dry rock is great, also sterility is nice, guaranteed no pest. It’s been the hardest tank for me though. I feel like it used to be so much easier, and it’s counter intuitive since I feel like I have better equipment now. I hope you start killing that stuff one way or another. Pulling for you.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get it on camera, but with the blue leds it's impossible to get a pic out of it.

The astrea snails are working day and night, i think the vibrant is kicking in aswell. But i keep removing as much as possible with my tweezers (ofcourse a nano is easier to do this).
I won the battle against the light green hair algae, to get this hard dark algae ;Blackeye

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 30 gallon WC last night and dosed Flucon to begin attempt at eradicating this terrible outbreak. I did also vacuum out the sump. Tried to remove as much waste as possible before treatment. Of course this morning everything looks worse than it did yesterday. Lol... of course it does... I plan on letting the flucon run it’s course. I opted for a slightly heavy dose. My water volume is pretty close to 200g and I went with 25 capsules emptied, dissolved, and poured in. I’m going to manually clean up around some of the corals that are being directly affected by the algae but plan to let the rest go. Ill be out of town tomorrow through Wednesday. I’ll update Thursday!
A couple of reference pics.
d59f97913f349f6f30fc67c49381514c.jpg

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral plugs being covered in algae can be dipped in peroxide. I have dipped zoa's with great succes before, i'm not sure about acans.

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that, I don’t believe Acans will tolerate the peroxide. Surprisingly, aside from algae the acans and other LPS are doing great! Now that I think of it probably better than before! Growing and color change also. 1 of the Orange acans that has always been Orange is developing a neon green ring on baby heads. We’ll see once they get bigger. Water seems to be cloudy almost a haze after the flucon.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of the dry rock is great, also sterility is nice, guaranteed no pest. It’s been the hardest tank for me though. I feel like it used to be so much easier, and it’s counter intuitive since I feel like I have better equipment now. I hope you start killing that stuff one way or another. Pulling for you.
I could not agree with this any more. My tank is like a 2 year old with too much sugar and too little sleep.

Back