OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I've stopped the nopox and have been blacked since lights out Sunday night. I'm planning on restarting normal light schedule tomorrow morning. Would a 4th day blackout be a bad idea? The new RO filters are in the mail and should be in tomorrow afternoon. Should I dose any peroxide to try and assist the blackout? Lastly I can't find any chaeto, I've checked checked 2 places both about 1.5 hours from my house. I live in the Outer Banks of NC. Next closest place is the Chesapeake/VA Beach area, no if anyone has any?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I've stopped the nopox and have been blacked since lights out Sunday night. I'm planning on restarting normal light schedule tomorrow morning. Would a 4th day blackout be a bad idea? The new RO filters are in the mail and should be in tomorrow afternoon. Should I dose any peroxide to try and assist the blackout? Lastly I can't find any chaeto, I've checked checked 2 places both about 1.5 hours from my house. I live in the Outer Banks of NC. Next closest place is the Chesapeake/VA Beach area, no if anyone has any?
Dosing peroxide worked just fine for me with hair algae but it takes time. The comment about the lack of coralline was spot on.

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well! After the 3day blackout and discontinued nopox dosing. All slime looking stuff has vanished. Now what's left appears to be GHA, a bad case... I did begin to dose peroxide again when I stopped the nopox. Growth seems to have slowed. I replaced all my ro filters and membranes. I focused the last few days on calc/alk levels to be sure they were in order before doing a water change. I was having a swing in alk between doses, could this be why my coralline growth has stopped? Average drop was almost a point every other day. Calcium would only drop around.5 I will water change tomorrow. All corals that aren't surrounded by GHA are looking good. I'm still looking at the possibility of adding a fuge. Probably will tho. Thanks again for the info guys and I'll update in a few days..

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, update... I swapped out my membranes and R/O filters. I have discontinued dosing the nopox but continued peroxide. I’ve made adjustments to my Alk/Calc dosing. Coralline is starting to spread. I did run a 3 day blackout. Didn’t really notice a difference. I’ve done 3 - 35 gallon water changes since 9/12. All of these actions and stuff just kept growing [emoji107].. I decided to pull and scrub my rocks, when I rearranged them
I tried to make sure flow could circle the tank around all rocks. Pics from before manual pull
6edb58da27cf205362c98b605f69459f.jpg
26df36cee2b03fc8bb6e544fec95d1e6.jpg
843c63eba14bf3a7e59fc54baaf9554a.jpg

Sorry not the best quality all pics are cell..

After about 6 hours I’m here.
3f00f5e0e0314db31ad1917ca7fe3e8b.jpg
69b5e6126a795ee48716712c3601a75d.jpg
ac0429e11d29d91d8da34534104fc91d.jpg

I ended up doing an additional WC because of how dirty tank was after pulling all the rocks. I’ve decreased my light cycle and intensity, fish are fed every other day. I also have a UV and GFO reactor rolling. 2nd set of pics was taken before I pulled stuff from coral discs and plugs.
Any suggestions on what I should do next to try to land the knockout punch from this point?

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got some microscope pics of the stuf.
4b04eeed610fc9ec99d4f6b3733c293d.jpg
a2f630cadd289c1ed4eea94339b38d7e.jpg

I wanna say 300x and 75x magnification

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I noticed a microscopic worm looking critter. It looks to me like it’s eating some of this stuff. The sample size was so small I couldn’t believe this was in there. Any ideas??

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just a little over 2 weeks out after removing and scrubbing as as clean as I could get, the issue is back and continues to grow. I’ve done water changes, continued to dosing Calc and Alk. Phosphate was good. I’ve been testing so much I ran out of tests. TDS meter on ro unit still shows 0. One thing I didn’t mention was in previously ran bio pellets. I had no algae and really think my water was to clean. A lot of dull colors in my zoas and acans. I disconnected the pellets and coral colors improved. After about a month I began to notice this algae. Any info on any treatments or suggestions on what to do next?
8bbd70b15e7db5ce0f5c964fad4d852e.jpg

cc55bbce4705845dc7cad6723702329c.jpg

This is growth since 10/5.

Any input guys would be great.

Renee180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, I feel so bad for you. Everything you are doing and everything that is happening is exactly what I have been dealing with for over a year and a half! I have spent more time and money on salt, equipment, new lights, pumps, ro/di crap, lights out,etc, etc, etc. to no end. Levels are all "good" , ro/di .01 tds or less. My fish have done awesome through all of this, until now. About 3 weeks ago I thought my rocks were finally looking better and gha is mainly growing only on the bare bottom, but now my fish look terrible and are fighting the start of HLLE and fin rot, and who knows what else. When you figure this out Please let me know what worked for you!
NOPOX created that nasty slime crap for me too. But I do believe it is what is finally helping me kick it. What I did was cut back the dosage to about 20% of what I was using , and dose it Off and on. I will do it for a week or two at a time then stop for a week or two. The heavy green is almost gone (1 or 2 rocks yet) and the slimy stuff has not ever come back with the use of NOPOX at this lower dose.
Because I have not been using NOPOX for a bit I decided to start with carbon again, (havent used carbon or gfo for a yr and half, because NOPOX says not to) and within a week of that use my fish all have developed issues. Coincidence? I don't know , they looked beautiful until that usage. ugh! Good luck to you my friend!

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, I feel so bad for you. Everything you are doing and everything that is happening is exactly what I have been dealing with for over a year and a half! I have spent more time and money on salt, equipment, new lights, pumps, ro/di crap, lights out,etc, etc, etc. to no end. Levels are all "good" , ro/di .01 tds or less. My fish have done awesome through all of this, until now. About 3 weeks ago I thought my rocks were finally looking better and gha is mainly growing only on the bare bottom, but now my fish look terrible and are fighting the start of HLLE and fin rot, and who knows what else. When you figure this out Please let me know what worked for you!
NOPOX created that nasty slime crap for me too. But I do believe it is what is finally helping me kick it. What I did was cut back the dosage to about 20% of what I was using , and dose it Off and on. I will do it for a week or two at a time then stop for a week or two. The heavy green is almost gone (1 or 2 rocks yet) and the slimy stuff has not ever come back with the use of NOPOX at this lower dose.
Because I have not been using NOPOX for a bit I decided to start with carbon again, (havent used carbon or gfo for a yr and half, because NOPOX says not to) and within a week of that use my fish all have developed issues. Coincidence? I don't know , they looked beautiful until that usage. ugh! Good luck to you my friend!

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for all the input. I’ve been out of town for a week and did nothing to the tank. Looks as tho growth has continued but not to drastically. Still covering everything! Can someone identify this stuff? Some is brownish rather than green. Possibly dying off? Anything else I can add to try and fight this stuff? Fluconazole? Been reading about it, just not sure if I should add it? I’m beginning to think it may be something similar to GHA. Here’s pics from today. It’s really starting to overrun my corals. I need to kick this stuff!
8e641535ae21f74485f099d295fbb9b9.jpg
9c27de42d2eafa51b3c78372e6053e00.jpg
51734a5a5bfb6d6db35ba58ee354d021.jpg

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing. Can’t seem to find lawnmower Benny! Snails and crabs also appear to be disappearing. All tangs, wrasse, cardinals, & chromis fat and happy! Brittle Star is good and cleaner shrimp moving about.

cmcimino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this exact same stuff. I have a 28 gallon nanocube. It's awful. I moved my tank about 2 months ago and was able to scrub all my rock and get rid of 95% of it. I ran Purigen, skimmer, and refugium. All of the algae came back in 3 weeks. I do 25% water changes weekly and remove as much as possible, but it still seems to come back by the end of the week. I am using 0 TDS RODI water, with coral pro salt. 3 weeks ago I pulled all filtration out, did my water change, and dosed Fluconazole (200 mg per 10 gallons) after a week I saw lots of die off. After two weeks even more algae die off. I read some forums where people suggested letting it go for 21 days to make sure everything died, but I think all of the die off caused an excess of nutrients and another algae spike. I did another water change, and dosed again. I am going to continue to do water changes and does Fluconazole every week until this stuff is gone for 1 month. I have been fighting this algae for months, and it is making me lose my mind.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the thread about fighting Bryopsis with Flucanazole, a lot of people have successfully gotten rid of GHA during the treatment. I know for sure that it works on Bryopsis [I dosed an even lower dose than recommended and it all died within 5 days]. I would think about Flucanazole since there doesn't seem to be any reported negative effects with treatment.

Recommended dose that I read was for 20mg/gallon. The Bryopsis thread is: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

Lots of people [including myself] have purchased the med at https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

I've also seen people report that Vibrant has helped to combat nuisance algae, but has also brought on nuisance bacteria, so that might be a product worth looking into as well

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might look at API AlgaeFix Marine. I have used it with success, but not on that much algae.

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this exact same stuff. I have a 28 gallon nanocube. It's awful. I moved my tank about 2 months ago and was able to scrub all my rock and get rid of 95% of it. I ran Purigen, skimmer, and refugium. All of the algae came back in 3 weeks. I do 25% water changes weekly and remove as much as possible, but it still seems to come back by the end of the week. I am using 0 TDS RODI water, with coral pro salt. 3 weeks ago I pulled all filtration out, did my water change, and dosed Fluconazole (200 mg per 10 gallons) after a week I saw lots of die off. After two weeks even more algae die off. I read some forums where people suggested letting it go for 21 days to make sure everything died, but I think all of the die off caused an excess of nutrients and another algae spike. I did another water change, and dosed again. I am going to continue to do water changes and does Fluconazole every week until this stuff is gone for 1 month. I have been fighting this algae for months, and it is making me lose my mind.

I’m thinking I seriously will give this a go! Thanks for the uplift! Are you sharing your battle in a thread anywhere? Great looking tank!! Good luck!

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the thread about fighting Bryopsis with Flucanazole, a lot of people have successfully gotten rid of GHA during the treatment. I know for sure that it works on Bryopsis [I dosed an even lower dose than recommended and it all died within 5 days]. I would think about Flucanazole since there doesn't seem to be any reported negative effects with treatment.

Recommended dose that I read was for 20mg/gallon. The Bryopsis thread is: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

Lots of people [including myself] have purchased the med at https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

I've also seen people report that Vibrant has helped to combat nuisance algae, but has also brought on nuisance bacteria, so that might be a product worth looking into as well

Thanks I’ve looked over the bryopsis thread quite a bit and just haven’t but the bullet! I’m going to go ahead and order! Thanks for the link.. I’ll post up some daily pics so everyone can follow along. At this point I’m really just hoping this is GHA and will actually start to die off! If results aren’t good I’ll look into the Vibrant. You guys think I should go ahead and do a water change before fluconazole?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ve looked over the bryopsis thread quite a bit and just haven’t but the bullet! I’m going to go ahead and order! Thanks for the link.. I’ll post up some daily pics so everyone can follow along. At this point I’m really just hoping this is GHA and will actually start to die off! If results aren’t good I’ll look into the Vibrant. You guys think I should go ahead and do a water change before fluconazole?
If you need a water change to control nutrients before dosing, then do it before hitting it with the fluc. If you need to water change while dosing, try to add more flucanazole to the new water to keep the concentration high enough to make an effect. Most people fighting GHA in the thread have done no water changes for 21 days to combat the GHA. If you need to water change though, just add the appropriate amount of med to the fresh saltwater.

OP
OP
rmiles54

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a water change to control nutrients before dosing, then do it before hitting it with the fluc. If you need to water change while dosing, try to add more flucanazole to the new water to keep the concentration high enough to make an effect. Most people fighting GHA in the thread have done no water changes for 21 days to combat the GHA. If you need to water change though, just add the appropriate amount of med to the fresh saltwater.

Ordering !! Wish me luck! Any info on trying flick in combination with vibrant? I haven’t even began to tap the vibrant thread.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back