Big salinity drop while at work. Need advice.

Om3gatyp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was at work today my HOB refugium leaked which cause my ATO to dump about 2-3 gallons of RO slowly throughout the day (I assume) in my 25 gallon tank.. My salinity has gone from 34ppm to 30ppm during that time. So far my corals look ok from softies to acros. I am currently making some fresh salt water, but what is my best approach? Should i slowly raise the salinity back up over the next few days or should I do it quicker? Thank you for the help

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Fix the leak.

2. Bring up to 35ppt slowly. You can do this through weekly water changes at the correct salinity. Two or three changes and you will be back at 35ppt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While I was at work today my HOB refugium leaked which cause my ATO to dump about 2-3 gallons of RO slowly throughout the day (I assume) in my 25 gallon tank.. My salinity has gone from 34ppm to 30ppm during that time. So far my corals look ok from softies to acros. I am currently making some fresh salt water, but what is my best approach? Should i slowly raise the salinity back up over the next few days or should I do it quicker? Thank you for the help
Assure water leavel hasnt dropped below the probe or probe has air in it. Recheck and /or calibrate
If accurate, take a large cup of tank water out, and add a large cup of saltier water until you reacj salinity
Other reason for this would be ATO emptying into sump or tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back