Big Update!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven’t been able to get to the posts on my last thread, I was busy and I just finished my big task of the day. My mom, dad and I just finished removing all the sand from the tank! We were thinking about it and as we sat in front of it after having the tank fallow and before we got ready to restock the tank we decided to remove the sand bed so no more detritus or debris would accumulate in the sand bed. We didn’t have any cleaning crew, (snails, crabs and starfish kinda creep me out except Patrick ofcourse!) so now hoping for a cleaner more efficient tank. But I’ve read about you guys putting starboard on the bottom, is that so the rocks don’t scratch the glass? Can I use the clear or snowy acrylic, what are my choices from like Home Depot? What exactly is the purpose of the board, does that not trap debris or does it need to be cleaned like every 6 months. Once I have the tank ready I’ll share a pic with you guys.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The starboard is for bare bottom tanks. You are correct, it is there to protect the glass from the rocks. Starboard is tough, safe to use in saltwater, and does not float as much

Some like the look , some don't. I'm in the don't group lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starboard is for bare bottom tanks. You are correct, it is there to protect the glass from the rocks. Starboard is tough, safe to use in saltwater, and does not float as much

Some like the look , some don't. I'm in the don't group lol
Any other options other than starboard?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back