Big Volitan Lion

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this volitan lion 3 months ago by accident (I ordered an Antenneta). This is by far the fastest growing animal (I have dogs and cats) I have ever seen.

My wife and I were talking about it and we agree that he has 5x in size in 3 months.

He's a food vacuum. I have to feed him on one side and feed the others on the other side.

I'll probably end up Rehoming him, but he is impressive. I can see why they are invasive in the Caribbean.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NZJCd6oqI5Q?feature=share

IMG_20220521_211004__01.jpg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding him. While they do grow fast if you are feeding him too often, they can develop fatty liver disease within just 2-3 years. At that size no more than a couple times a week.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding him. While they do grow fast if you are feeding him too often, they can develop fatty liver disease within just 2-3 years. At that size no more than a couple times a week.
I try to distract him with a few small pieces of LRS a day. Otherwise the other fish can't eat.

I intentionally feed him 2 or 3 times a week with selcon soaked salmon or silverslides. He's also been known to eat cockles (it's interesting watching him get them out of the shell).

He is getting a varied diet. Krill, mysis, squid etc. He gets gambusia occasionally.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back