Big Volitan Lion

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
3,433
Reaction score
2,433
Location
Haverhill, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this volitan lion 3 months ago by accident (I ordered an Antenneta). This is by far the fastest growing animal (I have dogs and cats) I have ever seen.

My wife and I were talking about it and we agree that he has 5x in size in 3 months.

He's a food vacuum. I have to feed him on one side and feed the others on the other side.

I'll probably end up Rehoming him, but he is impressive. I can see why they are invasive in the Caribbean.


https://youtube.com/shorts/NZJCd6oqI5Q?feature=share

IMG_20220521_211004__01.jpg
 
Last edited:
How often are you feeding him. While they do grow fast if you are feeding him too often, they can develop fatty liver disease within just 2-3 years. At that size no more than a couple times a week.
 
How often are you feeding him. While they do grow fast if you are feeding him too often, they can develop fatty liver disease within just 2-3 years. At that size no more than a couple times a week.
I try to distract him with a few small pieces of LRS a day. Otherwise the other fish can't eat.

I intentionally feed him 2 or 3 times a week with selcon soaked salmon or silverslides. He's also been known to eat cockles (it's interesting watching him get them out of the shell).

He is getting a varied diet. Krill, mysis, squid etc. He gets gambusia occasionally.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new