BigFish's - 150G Reef Build

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello CTARS,

I wanted to share my build with all you fine ladies and gentleman.

The tank is currently in the build/gather equipment phase so I'll list the things I've gathered so far in a little bit.

I've been in the hobby for about 4 years now. Have had a variety of tanks and different style systems. We have just moved into a new house and this will be a very fun adventure.

Current equipment list:

SC Aquarium 150 Gallon Starfire and eurobraced:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417044754.801596.jpg

Bubble King Double Cone 200 w/ Red Dragon Speedy Pump

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417044836.739021.jpg

PacSun Kore 5th Doser:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417046048.928845.jpg

Vertex V6 Return Pump:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417046083.057246.jpg

Apex controller will be ordered on Friday.

Current light is from my previous tank, 48" 8 bulb Tek light, planning on an T5/LED hybrid in the future.

In tank flow is currently 2 MP40's

Heaters will be two Jager 300w controlled by the apex.

ATO will be the Tunze Osmolator

Sump will be an acrylic design of my own to incorporate macro algaes and a frag section.

That's it for now,

Happy Reefing!

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike, Im interested to hear how you like the Pacsun doser. Ive read about them however there doesnt seem to be many folks here using their lights or equip. I thought it seemed like a great unit though.

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you had tanks before. It will be interesting to see what you do differently now that you have some experience under your belt. Any explanations in that regards would be very helpful. Look forward to your posts.

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question - what temperature will you set your Jager heaters so that they will be controlled properly by your Apex?

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question - what temperature will you set your Jager heaters so that they will be controlled properly by your Apex?

I will set them to their maximum so that when the apex triggers them they will always turn on. Most people who have this set up do it that way.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Finnex in the past. They are super short for their wattage and in my previous 160 gallon setup they had some issues keeping up temp. A few of them failed on me too, so I wanted to try the Jager since they are large and have great surface area for distributing heat. They also get great reviews and a few friends have them and really like them.

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Finnex in the past. They are super short for their wattage and in my previous 160 gallon setup they had some issues keeping up temp. A few of them failed on me too, so I wanted to try the Jager since they are large and have great surface area for distributing heat. They also get great reviews and a few friends have them and really like them.

I didn't think of it but you are correct, they are short. I thought short would be an advantage but I see your point on a greater surface area for distributing heat. The reason I'm asking these questions is I need a new heater and you now have helped me make a choice. Thanks

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not set to 78F? You're not going to worry that something will go wrong and boil your fish?

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think of it but you are correct, they are short. I thought short would be an advantage but I see your point on a greater surface area for distributing heat. The reason I'm asking these questions is I need a new heater and you now have helped me make a choice. Thanks

Woot woot! I'm good for something!

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not set to 78F? You're not going to worry that something will go wrong and boil your fish?

Because of where I'll place the temp probe of the apex (which will be right before the chamber in which the heaters are in) I don't want the apex to tell the heater to turn on but the internal temp prob on the Jager to tell it to turn off cause it believes the water is at temp. I put my trust in the apex as if something is wrong I'll get a notification and I can address it if needed.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike nice stuff and good luck
Consider the setpoints on the heaters though. I have heard of outlets on the apex getting stuck in the on position.

I have mine set to 82 degrees and still controlled by apex. Like you I also run 2 smaller heaters rather then one larger in case one gets stuck on it won't overheat tank

Good luck again

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike nice stuff and good luck
Consider the setpoints on the heaters though. I have heard of outlets on the apex getting stuck in the on position.

I have mine set to 82 degrees and still controlled by apex. Like you I also run 2 smaller heaters rather then one larger in case one gets stuck on it won't overheat tank

Good luck again

I was thinking that as well, set it up for redundancy.

Good call sir.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few things in the mail today...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417562678.154642.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417562695.545811.jpg

Went with the door buster deals on the red PVC just to keep the theme rolling, also got some GFO, Rox Carbon and 2 300w Jager Heaters

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you really buy the red pvc pipe. I think it's cool but until they make the fittings to match I will never use it. I'm shocked they don't it has to look funny with white fittings. It's perfect for the Christmas theme you will have candy cane pipes on your tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back