Bigger clown attacking a smaller one

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two clownfish and I have been having them for about 2-3 weeks now. I noticed that a true percula (large) is attacking a oscellaris (small). Small one is just hiding at the corner and sometimes shakes when the large one attacks. It does not seem too aggressive usually, but whenever I feed them, the large one attacks the small one as if it is preventing the small one from eating anything. I don’t think the large one bites the small (no signs of injuries) I have seen some posts that this is some kind of mating ritual, but I dont think the smaller one understands what is going on. How much will this situation last before they successfully mate?

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two clownfish and I have been having them for about 2-3 weeks now. I noticed that a true percula (large) is attacking a oscellaris (small). Small one is just hiding at the corner and sometimes shakes when the large one attacks. It does not seem too aggressive usually, but whenever I feed them, the large one attacks the small one as if it is preventing the small one from eating anything. I don’t think the large one bites the small (no signs of injuries) I have seen some posts that this is some kind of mating ritual, but I dont think the smaller one understands what is going on. How much will this situation last before they successfully mate?
Here is a pic of my two clowns and tank. Tank is 15 gal Fluval with one fire shrimp, comline 9001 protein skimmer, Jager heater, etc.
image.jpg

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Percula clowns are more aggressive than oscellaris, you may need to decide which one you want more and get a much smaller clown of the same family you keep

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 2 years in the hobby but have learned that clown aggression is basically the baseline. Odd really because Nemo and his dad are so nice.

My oscellaris pair (2 years old) fight for a few months then chill then fight then chill. Nothing I can do about it. Concerning at first but you get used to it. That said, there is plenty of chatter in the world/webs about totally incompatible pairs (seems that maroon clowns are never ever nice ever) where essentially there can be only one.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 2 years in the hobby but have learned that clown aggression is basically the baseline. Odd really because Nemo and his dad are so nice.

My oscellaris pair (2 years old) fight for a few months then chill then fight then chill. Nothing I can do about it. Concerning at first but you get used to it. That said, there is plenty of chatter in the world/webs about totally incompatible pairs (seems that maroon clowns are never ever nice ever) where essentially there can be only one.

Good luck!
Percula clowns are more aggressive than oscellaris, you may need to decide which one you want more and get a much smaller clown of the same family you keep
Will adding 1each of percula/ocellaris help? So it is going to 2 occy and 2 percs in the end. I know that a perc and ocellaris dont get along well. But if they have the same species of their own, will thing get better for them? (less aggression)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will adding 1each of percula/ocellaris help? So it is going to 2 occy and 2 percs in the end. I know that a perc and ocellaris dont get along well. But if they have the same species of their own, will thing get better for them? (less aggression)
You have to hope each species of clownfish will pair. The tank is too small outside of a paired single species. I'd go Percula imho, since they are milder on aggression. You may better off getting a already paired species. Because when they don't, usually the dominant fish (female) will kill the other fish in fairly short order. BTDT with Cinnamon, Maroon and now Tomato clowns over the years.

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. aggression continued so I went ahead and put the perc in a hang on breeding box. ocellaris was more active and well with not having a bully around. I took the perc back after 2 days of quarantine. They seemed peaceful after that. And after two days, the perc again nipping and chasing the occy and occy just hiding and twitching as a sign of submission. I honestly dont know what to do now. Is this just a sign of mating ritual or a simple bullying? I am going to upgrade my tank to 40 gal and use my current 15 gallon tank as a sump. What is going to be the best option here? I prefer not to send either one back to lfs, since I am emotionally very attached to both.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. aggression continued so I went ahead and put the perc in a hang on breeding box. ocellaris was more active and well with not having a bully around. I took the perc back after 2 days of quarantine. They seemed peaceful after that. And after two days, the perc again nipping and chasing the occy and occy just hiding and twitching as a sign of submission. I honestly dont know what to do now. Is this just a sign of mating ritual or a simple bullying? I am going to upgrade my tank to 40 gal and use my current 15 gallon tank as a sump. What is going to be the best option here? I prefer not to send either one back to lfs, since I am emotionally very attached to both.
out of curiosity, how do you plan on creating a sump out of a flex 15 with the bowed front? Are you fashioning your own baffle system?

Also, moving up to a 40 gallon might help, but if it were me, I'd choose between the two as hard as that may sound. There's no guarantee that a larger tank will fix the problem and it's better that they both live rather than one completely dominate and kill the other. The other thing you could do is split them, continue with your plan of getting a 40 gallon, but keep the flex as a standalone tank, but buy a 20 gallon long for your sump on the 40 gallon (FijiCube makes a baffle system for the 20 Long).

Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of curiosity, how do you plan on creating a sump out of a flex 15 with the bowed front? Are you fashioning your own baffle system?

Also, moving up to a 40 gallon might help, but if it were me, I'd choose between the two as hard as that may sound. There's no guarantee that a larger tank will fix the problem and it's better that they both live rather than one completely dominate and kill the other. The other thing you could do is split them, continue with your plan of getting a 40 gallon, but keep the flex as a standalone tank, but buy a 20 gallon long for your sump on the 40 gallon (FijiCube makes a baffle system for the 20 Long).

Just my 2 cents
pls ignore what i said about making flex 15 to a sump. did not consider the bowed front lol.

Will getting a sump be better than getting an aio for future reef system and maybe do less frequent water changes?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always prefer a sump personally... just more space for equipment and water volume. If you're looking at a 40 breeder, maybe consider a standard 60 gallon as they have the same footprint (fit the same stand), the 60 is just a little taller.

Max H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for about 10 months and they do the same thing that your clowns are doing and are perfectly fine

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back