Bigger is Better: Upgrading to Reefer 425 G2

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Excited to be able to share my new RSR 425 G2 build that is kicking off as we speak.

This is an upgrade from a Reefer 250 that I had running for about 2 years in Boston before a move to Chicago this summer presented a compelling opportunity to upgrade. I was able to sell back my 250 to my LFS for ~50% of its value in credit and then used them to order the new tank. I had no idea I’d be able to get that much for it and it was great to be able to support a local business.

The new 425 just arrived and I’ve gotten as far as checking it for damage (all good). Impressed with the way that Red Sea packs those pallets!

Thankfully a lot of the gear from my 250 will move over nicely to the new tank; I’ve just had to upgrade in a couple of areas and may upgrade things like my skimmer depending on how it all starts to go. To start I’ll be running:
- 3x Radion XR15 Pros (G5)
- 2x MP40s
- Vectra M2 return pump
- Reef Octopus Essence S-130 skimmer (this may prove to be undersized but maybe not given the roller)
- (New) Reefmat 500 roller
- Ordered a new CaribSea Plateau and Reef Forest to serve as the core of my scape. Excited to try both of those out after seeing them at MACNA.

In terms of a stocking plan, I‘m still a bit torn. On the coral side I’ll try for a mix of pretty much anything other than SPS. Still new enough to the hobby that the extra demands and sensitivity of those just doesn’t seem like a good fit. Maybe that’ll change over time.

Here’s the purest form of a “before” picture and I look forward to sharing more as the build gets underway!

PS - anyone have any recommendations on a great LFS north of Chicago? I’ve heard good things about Wojtek’s Reef and Tank it Easy but haven’t made it down to either yet.

BF6AF1FB-4A61-4564-9612-F61850CB36A4.jpeg

wakejumper22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, would love to see some updates.. I also live in the Chicago burbs and visit wojtek frequently.. he has the best coral I have found to date in the area…

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back