J

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank thanks for sharing.

The switched protectors are a great find (added to my list). What did you use for the cable raceways?

I’ve been debating about dual returns when my tank finally arrives intact. I bought a 25W UV which I now understand to be minimum/borderline but if I do dual returns I think I can slow it down when I need to or sell and get the 57W before installing. I wish RedSea offered a smaller return pump to fit in the ecosystem. Based on dimensions of the cabinet I was concerned the UV won’t fit in the end but based on what you’ve shared good news. What did you use for brackets to hold the UV? I see you did hard plumping vs tube on the return - do you think it worth the efforts? Pros/cons?

I see you put the skimmer in the back. Isn’t that the fuge compartment or am i misunderstanding? Obviously can use for anything but i am thinking i’m going to try one on my 525

Awesome cable management. You are most welcome to come over and wire mine up :)

Following
Thanks!
I used these for the raceways....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DG2LY5B?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
So far so good, I like the look. I am a little nervous taking a wire out in the future might be difficult, we'll see. :grimacing-face:

For the UV bracket I used these....https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uv-sterilizer-mounting-clamps-2-pack-black-neat-aquatics.html Pricey, but a great product!

As far as the plumbing, I did about 6" of silicon tubing (for vibration/sound dampening) into 1"pvc. It was little extra work, I think in the end it was worth it for the clean esthetic. Using the 1" also allows me to get the most flow out of the pumps.

That rear chamber is the intended skimmer chamber in the new models. I believe some people utilize the front for a fuge.

Good Luck with the 525! Share pics!

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I used these for the raceways....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DG2LY5B?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
So far so good, I like the look. I am a little nervous taking a wire out in the future might be difficult, we'll see. :grimacing-face:

For the UV bracket I used these....https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uv-sterilizer-mounting-clamps-2-pack-black-neat-aquatics.html Pricey, but a great product!

As far as the plumbing, I did about 6" of silicon tubing (for vibration/sound dampening) into 1"pvc. It was little extra work, I think in the end it was worth it for the clean esthetic. Using the 1" also allows me to get the most flow out of the pumps.

That rear chamber is the intended skimmer chamber in the new models. I believe some people utilize the front for a fuge.

Good Luck with the 525! Share pics!
How did you get the UV to fit in that location. Finally got my 525 and setting up. I don’t see how it’s going to fit as just about an inch too long. Did you cut a hole in the back of the cabinet so it could recess a bit or???

OP
OP
J

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the UV to fit in that location. Finally got my 525 and setting up. I don’t see how it’s going to fit as just about an inch too long. Did you cut a hole in the back of the cabinet so it could recess a bit or???
No modification required. I pushed the end flush against the back wall. It fit exactly, like down to the mm. I did drill a hole a placed a desk cord grommet to run the wire.

Attachments

• IMG_5414 copy.jpg
    IMG_5414 copy.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 92

rdelrosario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment List (All Red Sea):
(2x) ReefLED 90 and Mounting Arm
(1x) Reefer DC Skimmer 600
(2x) ReefWave 45 Gyre Powerhead
(2x) ReefRun 5500 Return Pump
- Running dual return pumps, one straight to the display, and one to a manifold for the UV sterilizer
(2x) ReefRun Controller
(1x) ReefMat 500 Automatic Filter Roller
(1x) ReefATO+ Auto Top Off System
(1x) Slide-Out Control Panel 60
(1x) Utility Basket
(1x) 57 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer
Hi, I just bought exact same system you have and I'm struggling with a couple things. Was wondering how you addressed these.

1. The pane of glass in the sump in the overflow chamber is supposed to come out to make room for the ReefMat. It doesn' budge. Is it glued in and you have to scrape the glue from underneath to remove it?

2. When putting in the plumbing pipes from the top of the tank, I was able to screw them in past the 1st set of threads, then when it hits the second set of threats, its nearly impossible to tighten all the way. I don't know if the teeth even caught. It seems tight, but are those supposed to screw in tighly and stop by hand... is that tight enough?
3. The bulkhead built into the tank has 4 connections. They each have a screw on collar on each. What is the purpose of the grey collars. I can screw them in tight, don't see what that does. I can even unscrew them completely off. Please enlighten me on what their used for? Again they seem to just screw on and off, but they don't seem to do anything. What am I missing
4. what size tubing does the return pump to the return plumbing be? Is it 3/4 Inside Diameter. I haven't been able to validate this.
4. When filling up the tank for the first time, am I supposed to fill up the sump half way first or just fill up the display tank until it overflows into the sump... How do I know when to stop filling the display tank going this method.

OP
OP
J

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought exact same system you have and I'm struggling with a couple things. Was wondering how you addressed these.

1. The pane of glass in the sump in the overflow chamber is supposed to come out to make room for the ReefMat. It doesn' budge. Is it glued in and you have to scrape the glue from underneath to remove it?

2. When putting in the plumbing pipes from the top of the tank, I was able to screw them in past the 1st set of threads, then when it hits the second set of threats, its nearly impossible to tighten all the way. I don't know if the teeth even caught. It seems tight, but are those supposed to screw in tighly and stop by hand... is that tight enough?
3. The bulkhead built into the tank has 4 connections. They each have a screw on collar on each. What is the purpose of the grey collars. I can screw them in tight, don't see what that does. I can even unscrew them completely off. Please enlighten me on what their used for? Again they seem to just screw on and off, but they don't seem to do anything. What am I missing
4. what size tubing does the return pump to the return plumbing be? Is it 3/4 Inside Diameter. I haven't been able to validate this.
4. When filling up the tank for the first time, am I supposed to fill up the sump half way first or just fill up the display tank until it overflows into the sump... How do I know when to stop filling the display tank going this method.
1. No, it took me some time to figure out as well. You need to slide the plastic bracket that holds the socks out to the left, and then pull the glass partition up.
2. Stop when tight by hand, then when you screw in the connection from underneath it'll tighten the rest of the way.
3. Are you talking about the pieces in the picture attached? If so the collar has the threads, which make the connection to the bulkheads on the tank.
4. The barb supplied is stepped, so either 3/4" or 1"
5. When filling up the tank for the first time, am I supposed to fill up the sump half way first or just fill up the display tank until it overflows into the sump... How do I know when to stop filling the display tank going this method.
5. The way that I did it was. I just filled the tank and let the water flow down to the sump. I stopped filling when I got to the water line level on the skimmer. From there I turned on the pumps, let everything run for a little bit, and then made small adjustments as needed.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Attachments

• IMG_5577.jpg
    IMG_5577.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 46

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey JTN -

You’re a couple of months ahead of me, and wanted to see how things have progressed for you. I am just getting the scape ready at this point, so still dry with my 350 G2+ Max

Any noise or connectivity related issues with the Red Sea gear?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help/ideas for the power solution. Not running any form of controller. I am torn between;
CRST 12 Outlet Heavy Duty Power Strip
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300
CRST 12 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip with USBs

I will be running 100% Red Sea products, so I will have total control in the ReefBeat app. So the 'smart control' of the Kasa is not super important.

I am open to any other ideas too. If anyone has some pics of their own power set-up for inso that would be greatly appreciated!
I know it's a late response but I am using 3 of the kasa strips. I love them. I have 2 6 plug strips and 1 3 plug strip. All 15 plugs show up together on the app. I use them for my dosers and all my equipment. They have been great thus far. FYI.

OP
OP
J

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank thanks for sharing.

The switched protectors are a great find (added to my list). What did you use for the cable raceways?

I’ve been debating about dual returns when my tank finally arrives intact. I bought a 25W UV which I now understand to be minimum/borderline but if I do dual returns I think I can slow it down when I need to or sell and get the 57W before installing. I wish RedSea offered a smaller return pump to fit in the ecosystem. Based on dimensions of the cabinet I was concerned the UV won’t fit in the end but based on what you’ve shared good news. What did you use for brackets to hold the UV? I see you did hard plumping vs tube on the return - do you think it worth the efforts? Pros/cons?

I see you put the skimmer in the back. Isn’t that the fuge compartment or am i misunderstanding? Obviously can use for anything but i am thinking i’m going to try one on my 525

Awesome cable management. You are most welcome to come over and wire mine up :)

Following
@FernBluffReef
Thanks!
I used these for the cable raceways....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DG2LY5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They seem to be working well, they are definitely packed to the max with cable!
I decided on going with the 25watt UV and it fits perfectly.I used the Neat Aquatics mounting clamps.
The hard plumbing was a lot of effort, I am very happy with the way it looks. Outside of the ascetic not sure if there are any other pros.
According to the G2 manual the front is the fuge and the rear is the skimmer section, but as you said I think you can set it up however you prefer. .

OP
OP
J

JTN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey JTN -

You’re a couple of months ahead of me, and wanted to see how things have progressed for you. I am just getting the scape ready at this point, so still dry with my 350 G2+ Max

Any noise or connectivity related issues with the Red Sea gear?
@Synthgp No, none at all. Aside from minor regular reporting noise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back