Biggest mistake upgrading wifi firm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say ever since I updated to the newest wifi firmware 2 weeks ago. My p4 is off and on off and on wifi connection. Absolute worst idea. I'm getting tired of these little pain in the **** inconveniences lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now it won't hold a consistent connection.

Rant over

What's ever better is my mitras are updated as well and they connect everytime on my phone. Both of them. Just the p4 doesnt

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say ever since I updated to the newest wifi firmware 2 weeks ago. My p4 is off and on off and on wifi connection. Absolute worst idea. I'm getting tired of these little pain in the **** inconveniences lol. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now it won't hold a consistent connection.

Rant over

What's ever better is my mitras are updated as well and they connect everytime on my phone. Both of them. Just the p4 doesnt
Firmware 7086 was apparently more sensitive when it comes to trying to reconnect if the signal dropped/channel switched. They've updated that for 7087.

I'm in the middle of the same going through the ticket process. I have even set up a separate network for it as my main one is a google Mesh network that can be problematic for the P4. The "new network" is a bare bones 2.4ghz set channel setup.

The only thing that has mostly worked so far is disabling email notifications. Still need to fix that though, as I want email notifications... Still drops sometimes but is much better.

Maybe try turning off emails and see if that helps though? (I would be curious as well)

Tony

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firmware 7086 was apparently more sensitive when it comes to trying to reconnect if the signal dropped/channel switched. They've updated that for 7087.

I'm in the middle of the same going through the ticket process. I have even set up a separate network for it as my main one is a google Mesh network that can be problematic for the P4. The "new network" is a bare bones 2.4ghz set channel setup.

The only thing that has mostly worked so far is disabling email notifications. Still need to fix that though, as I want email notifications... Still drops sometimes but is much better.

Maybe try turning off emails and see if that helps though? (I would be curious as well)

Tony
So 7086 isn't the newest anymore. How I gotta get 7087?!

I don't use email notification. Never did
By theway, I never updated a web interface. Don't even know how or what it is.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 7086 isn't the newest anymore. How I gotta get 7087?!

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just ran the web tool and updated it. Well see if it worked but says 87 now

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please tell me where to find the download? I found, Wifi-Module-ESP-Update 8191, but I'm guessing this isn't the right one.

My present Module Firmware is 7078 so I'm guessing that is pretty old. Could that be the cause of my connection problems?:
a) GHL Connect constantly freezes on my iphone 11 and I have to reboot the phone at least once a day.
b) GHL CC frequently looses connection (and I have to restart the program at least once a day).
c) Once in a while the clock on the P4 (and Touch) freezes. This is bad because I find that my ATO hasn't run all day and my halide stays on until I find the problem.

I'm hoping this upgrade might help???

Thank you.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here

Its a zip file - unpack and you will find it

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse. I get to a page that reads "Serial Port Settings" and have a choice of COM1 or COM4. With COM1, I click REFRESH PORT, then IDENTIFY CONNECTED GHL DEVICE, but nothing happens. If I try it with COM4, I get a message that says "Port already open in another application". If I close GHL CC, then I can proceed with COM4 but still nothing happens.
Should GHLCC be opened or closed?
What do I have to do?

Thanks for helping!
Jim

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the wifi updating tool - GCC should be closed. It is its own program. It will ask for another port (if I remember right UBVM or something like that. Open your device manager and look for that port below com and LPT ports, when it had update - the wifi settings can disappear. Now you need GCC and USB and com port again.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the wifi updating tool - GCC should be closed. It is its own program. It will ask for another port (if I remember right UBVM or something like that. Open your device manager and look for that port below com and LPT ports, when it had update - the wifi settings can disappear. Now you need GCC and USB and com port again.

Sincerely Lasse
I was able to load the Firmware 7087 but now I can't connect via GHL Connect from my iPhone or from my tablet. Is there something I need to do there because of the firmware upgrade? Thank you.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to download the new firmware to GHL CC. Do I need to also load it on iphone and tablet? (I'm asking because I now can't get those devices to connect).
Thanks.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the communication page in Control Center, I noticed the SSID and Wifi Key boxes are blank. I forget what goes there. :confused:

And in the Wifi Status box on the bottom, nothing is checked (and it is greyed out so I can't check them.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the SSID's are: P4 Home and P4 Cloud

Wifi Key for Client Mode I think should be the same # under settings for P4 Home on Iphone (same one as before Firmware upgrade, I think?).

Was the Wifi Key for Access Point Mode suppose to be blank?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If some company was paying me by the hour to do this stuff....they would be broke and out of business by now!!

I quit.

Good night.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the communication page in Control Center, I noticed the SSID and Wifi Key boxes are blank. I forget what goes there. :confused:
The SSID is the name of your WiFi network and the Key is the password to your WiFi network.

Some updates clear out the communications settings and they need to be re-entered.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the Wifi Key for Access Point Mode suppose to be blank?
This is the WiFi hotspot. Did you have that setup? If so, you will need to re-enter that information as well.

If you didn't have it setup, I recommend doing so. It gives you another way to get into the P4 if for whatever reason you can't get in via your home WiFi.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1608195665635.png

Chose Client (Yellow)
SSID = Your home networks name (red)
WIFI key = Your home networks password (black)
If you do not know the IP adress - start with DHCP
Webserver is the internal webserver in your P4. Most people does not use that but user is normal admin and you can put in an own password here - Default is Starfish

The manual for first time set up (because the old figures had been blanked - it is like a first set up) you can find here

Sincerely Lasse

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please tell me where to find the download? I found, Wifi-Module-ESP-Update 8191, but I'm guessing this isn't the right one.

My present Module Firmware is 7078 so I'm guessing that is pretty old. Could that be the cause of my connection problems?:
a) GHL Connect constantly freezes on my iphone 11 and I have to reboot the phone at least once a day.
b) GHL CC frequently looses connection (and I have to restart the program at least once a day).
c) Once in a while the clock on the P4 (and Touch) freezes. This is bad because I find that my ATO hasn't run all day and my halide stays on until I find the problem.

I'm hoping this upgrade might help???

Thank you.
Upgrading the wifi could help with b).

The iPhone one is strange. I get the GHL app crashing but weird you have to actually restart your phone.

Could you explain the third one a bit? That sounds like a bigger issue than just your clock (but maybe start by changing your Time - Automatic Setting ?)

Tony

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back