Biggest Single Ricordea & Ricordea Love

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Ricordea mushroom don’t get enough love. They’ve stayed relatively immune to the “ultra rainbow super duper” naming trend , an after thought even, to most coral farmers and distributors. They always have been my favorite. Started all for reef a month or two ago just the liquid stuff and all coral from SPS to soft n squishy are very fluffy including these mushrooms

As far as the ricordea I’ve had one that’s stayed a single mushroom for over 8 months. All the other I’ve had have split 10-15 times and I can’t give them away fast enough. This guy has to be 7-8” across, the far left. It looks like it’s splitting but trust me it won’t , has done this a few times.

IMG_2947.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they do not! I wish I still had pictures of my massive blue oxide ricordea yuma. The thing nearly spanned the width of a 25-gallon lagoon... The largest single ricordea I have at present is probably 4-5" across (they tend to split off or the dang fish frag them on me).

Maxcito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree! And I love mine. Best bang for your buck imo. Just I’m just guessing but if given too much light they don’t spilt, just my hypothesis thought. Two a year ago, and now the same just bigger.

IMG_3852.jpeg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ric’s were hot years ago, back before the name game. The nice ones were 20+ a mouth back then. A guy I knew had someone break into his house. The only thing missing was his Ricordea.
They looked pretty nice in my tank j/k

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree! And I love mine. Best bang for your buck imo. Just I’m just guessing but if given too much light they don’t spilt, just my hypothesis thought. Two a year ago, and now the same just bigger.
I wish I knew the trick to getting them to split or develop bounce (they seem to do this without fail in any lighting, placement or flow). Almost all of my rhodactis have morphed into these monster bounce creations (even some of the ricordea have some small bounce developing).

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a matter of space perhaps. If they can spread easily, they split, if not they grow huge and overtake other slower growing ones.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back