BillyC IM Nuvo30

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out I couldn't stay away from the hobby for too long. I took a two year break after parting out my 120g mixed reef and, although the break was refreshing, I'm very excited to be back. I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now and waiting for my equipment shipments to arrive.

My goal is to keep this setup as automated as possible so I can just sit back and enjoy it. Also with the tank being in our main living area, I'm trying to make equipment as "clean" as possible. As far as corals, I have always been a fan of the "nightclub LSD look" with super bright corals popping under LEDs, so finding the right pieces will be fun.

Equipment
Tank: AIO Innovative Marine Nuvo Micro30
Controller: Neptune Apex
Return: Sicce Syncra 1.0
Light: Ecotech Radion XR30w
Flow: Jebao WP-10 (controlled on Apex)
Skimmer: Tunze 9004
Sand: Carib-Sea Fiji Pink
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3152
Heater: Eheim Jager Trutemp
Reactor: IM Minimax Desktop Reactor (carbon)

Biofiltration
- 20lb live rock (unknown kind)
- 20lb Carib-Sea Fiji Pink (live)
- Dosing Seachem Stability during the cycle

Aquascape: I wanted to have a minimalist-ish look that's pleasing to the eye. My wife insisted on a "cave" for the fish to swim through. After an hour of playing, this is what I ended up with. I'm pretty happy.

Aaaaaaand water is going in! At the time of this pic, I had not yet received my return pump so please don't mind the ugly heater in the display. I was too anxious to get the cycle going.

Tank has been cycling now for about two weeks. I will post more information later. Please comment!

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it has some good potential. watch doing for filtration in the back?

I'll have the skimmer in the back, the reactor running carbon, and a filter sock. I know the tank looks like crap but it'll be sexy ;)

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Billy, welcome back!

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to do mainly sps, chalices, and scolies again?

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Billy, welcome back!

Thank you my friend. Good to see you're still around here.

Are you going to do mainly sps, chalices, and scolies again?

Not so sure about sps but we'll see. To start I'm going to be doing mushrooms, scolys (and other bright LPS), chalices, and a few choice zoas. Top 3 on my list right now are jawbreaker shrooms, space invader pectinia, and rasta zoas. :)

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce syncra 1.0 return pump had arrived and I was able to get water in the tank. I made a huuuuge rookie mistake for the first few days of the cycle. I used saltwater (purchased) that I assumed would be an appropriate salinity. When I got a refractometer a few days later, I realized my salinity was 1.012, so my mistake for not checking and it probably killed off a lot of beneficial bacteria. Surprisingly though, the micro tube worms in the LR were out and about seeming happy.

Don't mind the awkward wire from the apex and cable hanging from the light. Those will be organized too.
CCB7878B-893E-4FB8-AFF9-F5FCA045DAFF_zpsoqsjcwvd.jpg
[/URL]

I took the next day to set up the controller and organize some wires using a mounting board. I'm using a Netgear wireless adapter so I can control my tank from anywhere in the world and get alerts if things are going wrong.
5682F276-1B29-4D6F-8685-2192495D0BBD_zpsryay1p6z.jpg
[/URL]

I setup my Tunze ATO which goes through the wall into the pantry where I have a 15g tub of RO water. The tank is evaporating about a quart a day which means I can just leave my tank alone for a pretty long time.
B39C2CBF-1198-4759-9330-7301AC8A16C4_zpsscx8peuz.jpg
[/URL]

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawbreaker mushroom. I knew this was a must-have for my tank, and a perfect "tester" because of how hardy mushrooms are. I'm working on taking pictures of my other additions but haven't had a chance to pull out the nice camera.
D298A489-3EED-4C9F-A6BB-F7264149502C_zpsjxavtxvu.jpg

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last week or so my tank has been consuming approximately 0.8 dkh of alkalinity each day. I have only had a couple tiny stony corals so I'm blaming the thick purple coraline algae on the love rock for sucking up the alkalinity. I've never used Kalkwasser but I've always heard amazing things about it so I filled my ATO reservoir with 10g of 1/2 potency limewater (1tsp/gal). I'll have to keep an eye on my pH and parameters to adjust kalk concentration as needed.

Do any of you Kalkwasser gurus have any advice for a kalk newbie?

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser is going well these last few days. It's definitely keeping my ph between 8.2-8.3, even at night.

Lucky for me my LFS carried the other 2 of my "top 3 first corals" on the list. My favorite zoas of all time, Rastas. They're a classic, super bright, and you can't beat the color combo IMO. this frag started off as 3p and now I'm up to 7p in 2 weeks so things are going well.
835D116B-1921-48FF-A5CD-B63069B731AF_zpsjvgxcukc.jpg

Space invader pectinia. This is a terrible pic but can't believe how this thing glows.
DB50A124-711E-49DA-8727-06D5C293FAB2_zpsocscbfzm.jpg

Also added a Valentini Puffer. This guy has more personality than my dog. They are not considered reef safe because they are known to eat snails, hermits, clams, and sometimes coral. After lots of research, I took a chance and he's by far my favorite fish I've ever owned. He munched on a single nassarius snail but hasn't touched any other CUC (although it's still no guarantee forever). He started off eating but fairly skinny at the fish store. Now he's a pig with a potbelly starting. I'll post a video of him soon enough.
8F7B06EC-908E-4B77-BEDD-70F69ACBD71A_zpso1yymdkk.jpg

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding a lot of cool coral that I don't have time to properly photograph. Here's the new centerpiece of the tank, courtesy of Reef Legends in SLC, UT; a pink rainbow wellso. I see pinks, reds, teals, blues, purples, etc.
Pink%20Wellso_zpseuw7xyq9.jpg

And just for fun, a progression pic. Rastas have doubled in polyp count and have grown large heads. Definitely one of the pieces I'm more excited about colonizing.
Rasta_zpsvnlgoe76.jpg

I have a pretty cool coral coming in tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll open up enough for some pics! Thanks to all those who comment and follow this thread.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Billy. Going with any Sticks this time around?

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank and I love the puffer!:)

Thanks! He has been tasting some acro frags this last week. So far it's not a problem but if it gets worse he may have to go. :/

Looking good Billy. Going with any Sticks this time around?

Yes! Originally I wasn't going to but turns out I can't keep away. I currently have red dragon, strawberry shortcake, yellow porites, and miyagi tort. Nothing super crazy so far.

Wanted to share my most recent shipment...

IMG_1246_zps6uvvpjlf.jpg

IMG_1247_zpswawfrycm.jpg

And acclimating...

IMG_1248_zps7zzpbddh.jpg

And settling nicely in the tank!...

IMG_1263_zps8nhmabrk.jpg

IMG_1261_zpstkzpebr4.jpg

IMG_1256_zpsnvnrclr3.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back