Bio media in Sump

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little familiar with bio media, but not too familiar. What are they exactly designed for and when is it a good time to add if even necessary? I have a 90 gallon currently equipped with a sump, and protein skimmer, live rock, fish and inverts. I plan on adding some soft corals soon and gradually work up to hard corals. Just looking for a little education on this... thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially, biomedia acts as a dedicated place to house good bacteria. These materials are designed to be super porous ti be able to act as super nitrifying factories to handle large loads of ammonia and nitrate in such a small space. Some is designed to help promote denitrification too (such as seahem matrix). I prefer using a lot of biomedia as a way to save money and space that would otherwise go to typical dry/live rock. It isn't necessary if you have sufficient surface area in the display, but many dry rocks these days are not very porous and are extremely inefficient (in terms of size and porousity) for housing bacteria compared to biomedia.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially, biomedia acts as a dedicated place to house good bacteria. These materials are designed to be super porous ti be able to act as super nitrifying factories to handle large loads of ammonia and nitrate in such a small space. Some is designed to help promote denitrification too (such as seahem matrix). I prefer using a lot of biomedia as a way to save money and space that would otherwise go to typical dry/live rock. It isn't necessary if you have sufficient surface area in the display, but many dry rocks these days are not very porous and are extremely inefficient (in terms of size and porousity) for housing bacteria compared to biomedia.
What about things such as carbon?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially, biomedia acts as a dedicated place to house good bacteria. These materials are designed to be super porous ti be able to act as super nitrifying factories to handle large loads of ammonia and nitrate in such a small space. Some is designed to help promote denitrification too (such as seahem matrix). I prefer using a lot of biomedia as a way to save money and space that would otherwise go to typical dry/live rock. It isn't necessary if you have sufficied surface area in the display, but many dry rocks these days are not very porous and are extremely inefficient (in terms of size and porousity) for housing bacteria compared to biomedia.
+1

I use Matrix and marine pure spheres

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about things such as carbon?

Carbon is more of adsorber for various compounds and elements in a tank that are not desireable. It can house bacteria, but its not designed to do this and is not a good choice for that either.. Carbon helps to remove a variety of things, such as metals, organics, medicines, etc.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the different shapes/materials for? Does one do better than the next type of media?

Different shapes are for different needs and space requirements. Some people have sumps where they can put textbook size blocks down, others have hang on back filters where small pebble like biomedia is better. Some are better than others for certain uses (such as removing ammonia vs removing ammonia and nitrate). Some also hold much more. Typically the greater the surface area (including inner pore structure), the more room for bactera. Bioballs are one of the least space efficient biomedias, whereas matrix (and equivalents), marine pure, and brightwell xport have much more room.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different shapes are for different needs and space requirements. Some people have sumps where they can put textbook size blocks down, others have hang on back filters where small pebble like biomedia is better. Some are better than others for certain uses (such as removing ammonia vs removing ammonia and nitrate). Some also hold much more. Typically the greater the surface area (including inner pore structure), the more room for bactera. Bioballs are one of the least space efficient biomedias, whereas matrix (and equivalents), marine pure, and brightwell xport have much more room.
Would you recommend having these loose in your sump or in a bag?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 liters of eheim substrate pro glass balls.
They are in a bag. Had them for years and decided to through them in. Not sure I need them but it give more bio area and may help keep my nitrate at around 1ppm. I feed heavy and they are never more than 2ppm.
20200223_121526.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Does it make much of a difference as to what location in the sump you place it?

You typically want flow through it. some media tells you to place in low flow if you are trying to use it to grow anaerobic bacteria to remove nitrates (again all depends on brand).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve heard a lot of people recommend the chemi-pure. Has anyone tried this? Opinions?

Chemipure is not biomedia. However I am a fan of chemipure blue as a nice all n one filter media. It fetures a phosphate remover, ROX 0.8 carbon (the best kind), and some organic scavenging resin. Elite is similar but uses GFO for phosphates and a different carbon. Chemipure the regular kind has a resin and carbon but does not remove phosphates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back