Bio media question.

RyanRhinoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
I currently have a internal filter on my reef tank that has spunges and bio balls in it. I am looking to upgrade my filter to and external canister filter (no sump no space under aquarium for one ) what would I do in regards to the new filter and the bio filtration as it will be added to a 2 year old tank. This is the only tank I have, I hope I have made my self clear.

OP
OP
R

RyanRhinoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is for cosmetics mate. It's also for more space as it does take up a big chunk of my tank would rather not have big black box on anymore.

OP
OP
R

RyanRhinoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why are you switching? Cosmetics? or does the internal filter not function well (it has worked for 2 years right?)
It is for cosmetics mate. It's also for more space as it does take up a big chunk of my tank would rather not have big black box on anymore

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you'll read that recent post on the effect of any form of extra filtration in a reef display tank you'll come away totally shocked at the claims. For sure
B

Knowing how surface area works in reefing allows you to make calculated safe moves, every time

OP
OP
R

RyanRhinoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you'll read that recent post on the effect of any form of extra filtration in a reef display tank you'll come away totally shocked at the claims. For sure
B

Knowing how surface area works in reefing allows you to make calculated safe moves, every time
Sorry I don't quite understand what you mean. Would you be able to explain please, thank you

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the general breakdown:

only freshwater systems risk being integrally linked to a canister or its biomedia. marine fish production facilities, aquaculture facilities carrying thousands of fish might also be integrally linked to their filters.

but not home reef tanks, ever.

Integrally linked meaning if you pull the filter off, in certain high bioload freshwater setups it might lead to lack of a biofilter. freshwater tanks inside are polished slick rocks and leaves typically, but a reef tank is high surface area craggy live rock and 99% of the time, sand. this is all extra attachment surface area inside anyones reef tank

and it functions exactly like extra media inside a biofilter.

so, because reef tanks always have excess surface area compared to the bioloads/# of fish we run, NO reef tank is required at any time to run a canister filter, or any media beyond simple rocks alone. even sand is optional.

this extra surface area is not integrally-linked in a reef tank, we're allowed to remove these filters permanently, or for cleaning at any time, and the reef tank will NEVER run low on filtration surface area due to the rocks alone.

so the final summary is, within a display reef tank, it does not matter what you do with those filters or even if they're hooked up, youll never be short on biofiltration in a reef tank.

it means even having the filter at all isn't helping, nor hurting, its simply something extra you'll attach. exactly like hooking up a trailer to a car that doesn't have anything to pull.

harmless to still do if you want to. you can detach the main trailer at any time and still have the full benefits of the car.

it means if you carry over bioballs to the new setup that's fine.

if you don't, still fine nothing changes. still plenty of systemic filtration available between rocks and sand.

if you move over your other media it is neutral just like the bioballs, these filters simply are not needed in reefing they're just trailers people hook up out of repetition.

You are freer to get the tank look you want, knowing you don't need any big filtration box nowadays. that's how we reefed back in the 90s

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back