Bio pellet as anchor?

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did this with red ogo, caulerpa, dragons breath, and dragons tongue.
50E7ADCA-D68A-45CE-88E4-DC10214F970C.jpeg
FA71AAD6-8366-4608-9F6A-1125EB97EBAB.jpeg
BCF3BF61-3BE5-46C0-B1FD-7C894A25BBEA.jpeg
DF7F4A6B-DA9D-4E13-9BB0-2ECE1F012891.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tumbling is only really necessary for non-rooting macros like Chaetomorpha, I can’t imagine you’d want to rumble plants with roots. You should be good to go

OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tumbling is only really necessary for non-rooting macros like Chaetomorpha, I can’t imagine you’d want to rumble plants with roots. You should be good to go
I also have chaeto anchored. As well as ogo. You say “necessary”?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I commercially grew seaweed, I tumbled it. The major advantage to tumble was to maximize all surfaces with exposure to light and to keep seaweed surfaces free of epiphytes.

Epiphytes

Hydroids on an eelgrass flower shoot.

Ascidians and coiled worms are epiphytes on this eelgrass blade.

Eelgrass heavily fouled with algal epiphytes
10px_spacer.gif
As with any surface in the marine environment, seagrass leaves provide a place for planktonic organisms to settle. When they settle on seagrass leaves, they are called epiphytes (sessile organisms that grow on plants). Epiphytes of seagrasses include algae (micro and macro), bacteria, fungi, sponges, bryozoans, tunicates, protozoa, hydroids, crustaceans and mollusks. Of all of these, algae are the most abundant and diverse group to colonize seagrass leaves. Algal epiphytes significantly contribute to the primary productivity of the ecosystem (20-60%), and form the base of many food webs within seagrass communities​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I commercially grew seaweed, I tumbled it. The major advantage to tumble was to maximize all surfaces with exposure to light and to keep seaweed surfaces free of epiphutes.

Epiphytes

Hydroids on an eelgrass flower shoot.

Ascidians and coiled worms are epiphytes on this eelgrass blade.

Eelgrass heavily fouled with algal epiphytes
10px_spacer.gif
As with any surface in the marine environment, seagrass leaves provide a place for planktonic organisms to settle. When they settle on seagrass leaves, they are called epiphytes (sessile organisms that grow on plants). Epiphytes of seagrasses include algae (micro and macro), bacteria, fungi, sponges, bryozoans, tunicates, protozoa, hydroids, crustaceans and mollusks. Of all of these, algae are the most abundant and diverse group to colonize seagrass leaves. Algal epiphytes significantly contribute to the primary productivity of the ecosystem (20-60%), and form the base of many food webs within seagrass communities​
Thank you for this knowledge. So epiphytes are one of the nuisances of the macro algae realm basically. And you tumble your grasses to combat these amongst other reasons. I did notice something similar to your pictures and manually removed it with my fingers but if a full out bloom was to happen i would be doomed lol. I chose not to tumble for the aesthetics of the tank. With keen observation and constant care can I avoid tumbling?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this knowledge. So epiphytes are one of the nuisances of the macro algae realm basically. And you tumble your grasses to combat these amongst other reasons. I did notice something similar to your pictures and manually removed it with my fingers but if a full out bloom was to happen i would be doomed lol. I chose not to tumble for the aesthetics of the tank. With keen observation and constant care can I avoid tumbling?
I use macro in most of my display tanks. I recently found an attractive red macro that stands up to hippo tang.

Note: The last picture is first light on 25 year mature reef: neither hippo or Sailfin tang graze on this seaweed.

Most of the Caulerpa species have holdfast for anchors.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trillaman954

Trillaman954

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use macro in most of my display tanks. I recently found an attractive red macro that stands up to hippo tang.

Note: The last picture is first light on 25 year mature reef: neither hippo or Sailfin tang graze on this seaweed.

Woah that spinosum is great. Looks like thorns. Now I must find and add to my tank!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that spinosum is great. Looks like thorns. Now I must find and add to my tank!

I got some in a red macro grab bag from AquaticEcoSystems this past summer. I have placed this gorgeous macro in systems with 10,000 color-rendition and some in outside tanks that fluctuate between 60-75 degrees.

I just received Matted File Fish who likes the red seaweed matrix.

Eucheuma Spinosum
galleryeuchema.jpg
A beautiful and unique species of red macro algae that has a striking appearance in the aquarium. This species can be difficult to keep in the aquarium and is best kept as a smaller size. Eucheumarequires a very stable environment with good water circulation and moderate to high lighting. It's collected in fairly shallow water attached to hard bottom in the tidal zone. This species features stiff, rubbery, spiny branches that extend into irregular branchlets. The coloration varies between yellow, orange and red. We ship a portion that is approx 6-8" tall.
Use the drop down

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have chaeto anchored. As well as ogo. You say “necessary”?
Chaeto will suffer when you attempt to root it. I see little need for Charto in display, when you already have fast growing feather Caulerpa which displays nicely.

Note that some fronds are disintegrating on Caulerpa Paspoidies, For ascetics, I should prune it. Instead, I allow mollies to graze it.

image.jpg

Last edited:

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sweet!

Any other varieties that will survive Tangs?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!

Any other varieties that will survive Tangs?
Gracilaria Hayi is lightly calcified with only an occasional taste.

A beautiful species of Gracilaria featuring rigid, flame shaped branches that form a tight symmetrical bush. It is lightly calcified so the addition of calcium is recommended. In shallow water it is often found in very large clumps covered in colonial tunicates or encrusted with epiphytic bryozoans. The coloration varies between deep crimson red to bright orange depending on the amount of light provided. It features a small holdfast that can be attached to rocks or left as a free floating specimen if desired. Overall it is undemanding and will grow well under a variety of conditions even in low flow environments. Due to its lightly calcified branches it is not known to be very palatable to fish or invertebrates.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back