Bio-Pellet Questions

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so recently I purchased a dual reactor from BRS for GFO and carbon. Well after running that for a few months I realized my Nitrates was way up in the 60s. So as you would expect I'm going to flip my gfo/carbon dual reactor into a biopellet version. However in order to get enough biopellet quantities I'm going to have to make both reactors into a two seperate pellet reactors. Since I have a 150g system I'd need roughly 3cups of pellets and each holds roughly 1.5 cups. So I'm going to have to add a 2nd pump for the 2nd reactor my question comes on the return piping. Could I use a T fitting and bring the two reactor outlets into one to save on the amount of piping back into the sump or would this result in clogging from slime?

Let me know if you guys think that would work or if I should go a different route. Both reactors will have the same pumps and head pressure. I'm trying to do this as cost efficient as possible and I have a limited amount of space to work with.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love biopellets and I don't think this will be an issue but I would personally use 1 large pump with a T or Y fitting rather than 2 small pumps. It just makes more sense to me. You will also want to use the coarsest screen you can find in the reactor.

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love biopellets and I don't think this will be an issue but I would personally use 1 large pump with a T or Y fitting rather than 2 small pumps. It just makes more sense to me. You will also want to use the coarsest screen you can find in the reactor.

Where should that screen go? I'm using the plastic cylinder insert that came with the reactor minus the sponge caps. I'm assuming at the top or bottom? Also I noticed the very bottom pellets are not moving alot is that a problem? Should I remove some of the media?

Thanks

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that 3 cups is way too much. I have a 180, a 75, a 40 gallon fuge and a 150 gallon sump with ~100 gallons of water. I run around 350 gallons total volume. I have probably barely over a cup of pellets in my reactor and my N and P are almost not detectable. I would seriously consider starting out MUCH smaller than 3 cups and see where things are in like a month. And from there judge if you need to add another chamber, more pellets, etc... If you have the output of your pellet reactor plumbed directly into your skimmer input, these things are VERY efficient at removing nutrients.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where should that screen go? I'm using the plastic cylinder insert that came with the reactor minus the sponge caps. I'm assuming at the top or bottom? Also I noticed the very bottom pellets are not moving alot is that a problem? Should I remove some of the media?

Thanks
I believe BRS offers 2 canisters. 1 for pellets and 1 for carbon and GFO the pellet specific one will work better. I could be wrong though.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150g system. Id use a 4" dia reactor. Maybe 12"tall. U could prob make 1.out of a 2L pop bottle. Lol
D

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what volume of Bio Pellets are appropriate for a medium stocked 125 mixed reef? I am looking at the JNS Alpha 1 and it comes with 250ml of pellets.
Thanks.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what volume of Bio Pellets are appropriate for a medium stocked 125 mixed reef? I am looking at the JNS Alpha 1 and it comes with 250ml of pellets.
Thanks.
I generally find that 100ml per 25 gallons is a good starting point. I use more than this but I find that this amount is safe and you can always add more if needed.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I will start with the 250 ml that comes w the JNS Alpha 1. Think it should be able to hold the adequate amount-400 ml-once ramped up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back