Bio pellet reactors. Ive convinced myself to get one? Maybe. Need help

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reviewing a ton of info I got on my high nitrates thread (I'm talking like 250+ppms) I've been researching ALL DAY. sulfer reactors, bio pellet reactors, pros and cons of both. I want my money well spent. But I think I'm going to go bio pellet route... the sulfer sounds like a great solution, even more so than bio pellets though but it can come with other parameter issues.. I've seen a few threads for diy sulfer chambers. But I'm not sure. Uggg

I just ordered a protein skimmer.
I have found a few bio pellet reactors that work long term, including an aquamaxx omega 2 (the round one) and a few others are aquamaxx Biomaxx, reef octopus and acel aquatics.
I've been reading reviews and doing so much research my brain hurts and I still can't decide.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also mention i have no corals or inverts. Just a heavy bioload of fish (90g)

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also mention i have no corals or inverts. Just a heavy bioload of fish (90g)
I keep forgetting to add.... this is for a longterm solution. Short term im doing other things. Also I've heard about seeding the bio pellets?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what volume of Bio Pellets are appropriate for a medium stocked 125 mixed reef? I am looking at the JNS Alpha 1 and it comes with 250ml of pellets.
Thanks.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it difficult to understand why nobody has responded here. I guess biopellets have become "old school"???

I experimented for a while with biopellets, but my goal was skimmerless operation and those two do NOT go together. Biopellets did work for me, but you must have an excellent and preferably oversized skimmer to effectively remove the byproducts of biopellet reactors.

To the question above about volume of biopellets, I ran biopellets on FOWLR tanks with typical nitrates in the 60-80 range and I started with 250ml pellets per 100-gallon. Over a month or so I eventually ramped up to 500ml per 100-gal before I saw the system "max out" with no discernable benefits to adding more pellets.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it difficult to understand why nobody has responded here. I guess biopellets have become "old school"???

I experimented for a while with biopellets, but my goal was skimmerless operation and those two do NOT go together. Biopellets did work for me, but you must have an excellent and preferably oversized skimmer to effectively remove the byproducts of biopellet reactors.

To the question above about volume of biopellets, I ran biopellets on FOWLR tanks with typical nitrates in the 60-80 range and I started with 250ml pellets per 100-gallon. Over a month or so I eventually ramped up to 500ml per 100-gal before I saw the system "max out" with no discernable benefits to adding more pellets.
I have read some threads about some people saying they were "old school" and not needed or other ways...but I think its worth a dive into, esp since I have extremely high nitrates. Either way I needed a skimmer (I wanted to do carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar if I cant get the nitrates down with water changes at first) i picked the reef octopus classic 150sss. I think it'll do a good job.
I also did pick a reactor.
Went with the aquamaxx omega 1. I will modify it and put a valve inbetween the reactor and pump to control the tummble. But I thought that was the best design, esp long term.
I really hope it works for my system.
I've heard a lot of contradictory stuff about carbon dosing (sugar vs vodka vs whatever) and yeah it kinda makes me nervous.

Attachments

• 150s.jpg
    150s.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 50

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the reply. From what I have learned, what you said seems spot on

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read some threads about some people saying they were "old school" and not needed or other ways...but I think its worth a dive into, esp since I have extremely high nitrates. Either way I needed a skimmer (I wanted to do carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar if I cant get the nitrates down with water changes at first) i picked the reef octopus classic 150sss. I think it'll do a good job.
I also did pick a reactor.
Went with the aquamaxx omega 1. I will modify it and put a valve inbetween the reactor and pump to control the tummble. But I thought that was the best design, esp long term.
I really hope it works for my system.
I've heard a lot of contradictory stuff about carbon dosing (sugar vs vodka vs whatever) and yeah it kinda makes me nervous.
dosing and pellets should yield the same results!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets and carbon dosing in general works awesome. That is until they strip the tank of phosphates and stop removing nitrates. You really have to watch your phosphate levels with biopellets and in some cases, you might even have to dose a little phosphate daily to keep things rolling.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reviewing a ton of info I got on my high nitrates thread (I'm talking like 250+ppms) I've been researching ALL DAY. sulfer reactors, bio pellet reactors, pros and cons of both. I want my money well spent. But I think I'm going to go bio pellet route... the sulfer sounds like a great solution, even more so than bio pellets though but it can come with other parameter issues.. I've seen a few threads for diy sulfer chambers. But I'm not sure. Uggg

I just ordered a protein skimmer.
I have found a few bio pellet reactors that work long term, including an aquamaxx omega 2 (the round one) and a few others are aquamaxx Biomaxx, reef octopus and acel aquatics.
I've been reading reviews and doing so much research my brain hurts and I still can't decide.

Can you give some of the particulars of your setup? Sulfur reactors are great but they work slow and take a while to ramp up. Also its really hard to get a line on a good source of the sulfur pellets. A good skimmer will help immediately. A roller mat will also help immediately. If you don't dose medication in the main tank a cryptic sponge area would also help but can totally understand if you want the flexibility of medicating in your display.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are trying to reduce nitrates, why not run a refugium or chaeto reactor?
I've thought about it. Honestly I was thiiiiis close to buying some chaeto. But I personally think its not a longterm solution and I dont even know if it will do well. I've read about the chaeto reactors, not really impressed with it tbh and have heard they don't work that well esp compared to a refugium.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing and pellets should yield the same results!
But the thing is longterm I don't want to be dosing the tank, I just want it to do its thing. Dosing for me is a quick instant solution while I wait for the pellets to work

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a sulfur reactor on my old tank and gfo for about 2 years, it's an amazing solution. Built myself a diy version with skimz sulfur pellets, once it ramp it up crushed my nitrates into the 10ppm area (was over 50ppm.) The thing in my opinion to be aware of is it will consume alkalinity too, I think the hydrogen sulfide concerns are overblown... Still required GFO for phosphate removal. From my understanding some of the largest aquariums in the world imploy sulfur denitrators because nothing else is as cost effective.

I too have been thinking about putting bio pellets on my new tank. Looking for a solution that isn't going to require a doser head and wanted something that will consume phosphates and nitrates not just massive amounts of nitrates (and alk.)

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a refugium is definitely a long term solution and a lot less risky than biopellets.
A fugue won’t strip the water of nutrients the same way as biopellets can. A lot of folks have run in to trouble with carbon dosing in different forms.
What is the cause of such high nitrates? There must be something seriously wrong for things to get that out of hand.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a refugium is definitely a long term solution and a lot less risky than biopellets.
A fugue won’t strip the water of nutrients the same way as biopellets can. A lot of folks have run in to trouble with carbon dosing in different forms.
What is the cause of such high nitrates? There must be something seriously wrong for things to get that out of hand.
I don't think the OP is running a protein skimmer. I'd wait to see what my nitrates are after running the protein skimmer.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are trying to reduce nitrates, why not run a refugium or chaeto reactor?
I run a Tunze algae reactor, GFO 24/7, skimmer 24/7, ChemiPure bags in sump.....My tank is overstocked and overfed-but looks great-and part of my problem "may" be that much of my live rock is almost 30 years old. I'm about to add SeaChem Denitrate in a reactor.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioPellets are certainly still relevant today.

But they're APPLICATION SPECIFIC.

BP work best in high load aquariums where it's very difficult to otherwise control the nutrients.

Countless numbers of service techs use BP to keep nutrients in check on aquariums in commercial settings such as public displays...

In fact several LARGE public aquariums use BP in their displays.

Pro-tips

Start slowly with a small amount of BP

Run Protein Skimmer

Monitor N+P

Last edited:
OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets and carbon dosing in general works awesome. That is until they strip the tank of phosphates and stop removing nitrates. You really have to watch your phosphate levels with biopellets and in some cases, you might even have to dose a little phosphate daily to keep things rolling.
Yes I have read this too, I plan on keeping a close on on parameters. I can always stop using the reactor if I get it under control. It's a delicate balance

Back