OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioPellets are certainly still relevant today.

But they're APPLICATION SPECIFIC.

BP work best in high load aquariums where it's very difficult to otherwise control the nutrients.

Countless numbers of service techs use BP to keep nutrients in check on aquariums in commercial settings such as public displays...

In fact several LARGE public aquariums use BP in their displays.
Neat! I do intend to keep a heavy bioload and not saying I feed a lot, i just like feeding a variety of things. My system *should* be easy to control but is hasn't been. My nitrates could be in the 400ppm range for all I know

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the OP is running a protein skimmer. I'd wait to see what my nitrates are after running the protein skimmer.
I would say that a refugium is definitely a long term solution and a lot less risky than biopellets.
A fugue won’t strip the water of nutrients the same way as biopellets can. A lot of folks have run in to trouble with carbon dosing in different forms.
What is the cause of such high nitrates? There must be something seriously wrong for things to get that out of hand.
I am not running a skimmer atm.
I have one on order.
I'm guessing the cause of the high nitrates is the combination of the bioballs in the sump and the heavy bioload the tank has been on without proper filtration. A week ago I got rid of a huge 8" hippo tang that would poop up the tank like crazy. Since these fish were not my choice, they came with the tank, I would have not put a hippo in a 90g tank.
I really didn't want to carbon dose. But it seems I may have to, water changes are not going to be enough for this tank.
A refugium isn't out of the question either! I can always sell the bio pellet reactor or keep it, it was only 80 bucks so its not like I broke the bank buying it. I won't feel bad if I don't need it. I just am not ready to set up a refugium right now. I need to read more about setting one up with the setup I have underneath the tank.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Tunze algae reactor, GFO 24/7, skimmer 24/7, ChemiPure bags in sump.....My tank is overstocked and overfed-but looks great-and part of my problem "may" be that much of my live rock is almost 30 years old. I'm about to add SeaChem Denitrate in a reactor.
I have chemi pure blue and purigen in my tank also. Hasn't helped with nitrates but it has made the water very clear and better looking!

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not running a skimmer atm.
I have one on order.
I'm guessing the cause of the high nitrates is the combination of the bioballs in the sump and the heavy bioload the tank has been on without proper filtration. A week ago I got rid of a huge 8" hippo tang that would poop up the tank like crazy. Since these fish were not my choice, they came with the tank, I would have not put a hippo in a 90g tank.
I really didn't want to carbon dose. But it seems I may have to, water changes are not going to be enough for this tank.
A refugium isn't out of the question either! I can always sell the bio pellet reactor or keep it, it was only 80 bucks so its not like I broke the bank buying it. I won't feel bad if I don't need it. I just am not ready to set up a refugium right now. I need to read more about setting one up with the setup I have underneath the tank.
I'm in a similar place. My nitrates were over 100 I went the sulfer reactor route, then I had to start dosing Alk. So I had to buy a Kamoer dosing pump. The cycle continues. I don't have a sump, I do want one, but I'm considering a hang on refugium to see if I can get my nitrates down. Cleaning my Reef Octupuse HOB skimmer more regularly has helped with the Nitrate load, but the sulfer reactor does most of the heavy lifting. My nitrates are between 1-5ppm now. I"m also using a GFO reactor to keep phospates in check. Penelties of a heavy bioload and 3 feedings a day. I'm hoping to upgrade my 75G to a something pre-drilled for a sump next year.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a refugium is definitely a long term solution and a lot less risky than biopellets.
A fugue won’t strip the water of nutrients the same way as biopellets can. A lot of folks have run in to trouble with carbon dosing in different forms.
What is the cause of such high nitrates? There must be something seriously wrong for things to get that out of hand.

Just to respond to a pet peeve of mine...

BP don't ADD Carbon.

BP are insoluble bio-polymer. They're inert in bacteria-free environments.

BP are consumed by a narrow range of Bacteria that also consume N+P.

BP are self-regulating.

As N+P levels drop, Bacterial biomass also drops.

Traditional Carbon dosing creates a condition where an excess of C is added to an aquarium spurring a temporary burst in Bacterial growth with a die-off to follow as nutrients drop.

Since BP don't add C, Bacterial population stays more stable.

Not a big deal... Just wanted to get the info out.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a sulfur reactor on my old tank and gfo for about 2 years, it's an amazing solution. Built myself a diy version with skimz sulfur pellets, once it ramp it up crushed my nitrates into the 10ppm area (was over 50ppm.) The thing in my opinion to be aware of is it will consume alkalinity too, I think the hydrogen sulfide concerns are overblown... Still required GFO for phosphate removal. From my understanding some of the largest aquariums in the world imploy sulfur denitrators because nothing else is as cost effective.

I too have been thinking about putting bio pellets on my new tank. Looking for a solution that isn't going to require a doser head and wanted something that will consume phosphates and nitrates not just massive amounts of nitrates (and alk.)
Its a delicate balance, thats why I asked people because I knew I'd get a bunch of different answers. I am weary of carbon dosing, I want to do it and I probably will just once. But ill wait till I get that skimmer in first.
I did order a bio pellet reactor. I definitely need feel more comfortable using that than the sulfer. I will probably start a new thread when I get it up and running for people to see how it effects my tank if they are curious. I'd like to be able to give my input on running an aquamaxx omega on a heavily nitrated tank with a large bio load.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar place. My nitrates were over 100 I went the sulfer reactor route, then I had to start dosing Alk. So I had to buy a Kamoer dosing pump. The cycle continues. I don't have a sump, I do want one, but I'm considering a hang on refugium to see if I can get my nitrates down. Cleaning my Reef Octupuse HOB skimmer more regularly has helped with the Nitrate load, but the sulfer reactor does most of the heavy lifting. My nitrates are between 1-5ppm now. I"m also using a GFO reactor to keep phospates in check. Penelties of a heavy bioload and 3 feedings a day. I'm hoping to upgrade my 75G to a something pre-drilled for a sump next year.
I am lacking space under the tank so I'm trying to use as little equipment as possible. The bio reactor and skimmer are both in sump equipments. Having a sump is definitely SO much easier. You'll be happy with the upgrade.
My nitrates could be 400ppms for all know... I know they are 250+ right now and its insane. I actually made a post that was "so you thought YOUR Nitrates were high?" LOL I got a lot of advise on there. Hence the bio pellet route

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to respond to a pet peeve of mine...

BP don't ADD Carbon.

BP are insoluble bio-polymer. They're inert in bacteria-free environments.

BP are consumed by a narrow range of Bacteria that also consume N+P.

BP are self-regulating.

As N+P levels drop, Bacterial biomass also drops.

Traditional Carbon dosing creates a condition where an excess of C is added to an aquarium spurring a temporary burst in Bacterial growth with a die-off to follow as nutrients drop.

Since BP don't add C, Bacterial population stays more stable.

Not a big deal... Just wanted to get the info out.
Thanks for the clarification. Spot on.
Hence why I'm kinda iffy about carbon dosing. Bp seem more natural and stable in a way?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have read this too, I plan on keeping a close on on parameters. I can always stop using the reactor if I get it under control. It's a delicate balance
I’ve personally been through it. I think what really helps is starting with a ridiculously small amount of pellets in your reactor, waiting a month and seeing if you actually need to add more. Whatever is recommended by the manufacturer, add 1/4 of that. Not kidding.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you my personal experience. I ran biopellets for years but when starting my new tank a year and a half ago I started hearing all about fuges as a primary nutrient export solution so I added a nice fuge with a good kessil grow light. I had the worst experience ever with Cyano and Dinos. Tank was new but all rock and live stock were moved from my last system. after about 6 months of battling I added a new pellet reactor and all of the issues went away.

I have never had a low nutrient problem with BioPellets. In fact I still have what most would call high nutrients. 5ppm Nitrate 1ppm phosphate. The pellet reactor is way cleaner and lower maintenance than the fuge it collects far less detritus and waste and there is not light bleed over causing algae in other sump chambers and equipment. The only down side is that I now go through about $150 of BioPellets per year. I was hoping the fuge could fix that but it didn't work for me.

I would not worry about a pellet reactor as long as you have a good skimmer. I use a Lifegard Turbo reactor and love it. they are reasonably priced with very good build quality. Pellets absolutely can fix your nutrient issue.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification. Spot on.
Hence why I'm kinda iffy about carbon dosing. Bp seem more natural and stable in a way?

BP are proven. They've been around for ten years now. Start off with a fraction of the required amount and slowly increase.

BP problems arise with low nutrient reef aquariums and the possibility of driving nutrients TOO low for corals.

Note: My comments specifically apply to EcoBak because that's where my familiarity is. My company and I developed it, authored the patent application, etc.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you my personal experience. I ran biopellets for years but when starting my new tank a year and a half ago I started hearing all about fuges as a primary nutrient export solution so I added a nice fuge with a good kessil grow light. I had the worst experience ever with Cyano and Dinos. Tank was new but all rock and live stock were moved from my last system. after about 6 months of battling I added a new pellet reactor and all of the issues went away.

I have never had a low nutrient problem with BioPellets. In fact I still have what most would call high nutrients. 5ppm Nitrate 1ppm phosphate. The pellet reactor is way cleaner and lower maintenance than the fuge it collects far less detritus and waste and there is not light bleed over causing algae in other sump chambers and equipment. The only down side is that I now go through about $150 of BioPellets per year. I was hoping the fuge could fix that but it didn't work for me.

I would not worry about a pellet reactor as long as you have a good skimmer. I use a Lifegard Turbo reactor and love it. they are reasonably priced with very good build quality. Pellets absolutely can fix your nutrient issue.
This is such a reassuring read, thanks for your input! I actually did end up buying a reator, an aquamaxx omega 1 to be exact and am going to mod it and add connector to the pump to adjust the water flow. I ordered a reed octopus classic 150sss skimmer as well.
Thats what I also thought about the refugium as well. Im not against one but to me it doesn't seem to fix a lot of issues that people have. Maybe if they have small issues, I honestly don't think its worth it for me too add one right now. I cant wait to set up my reactor and let people know how its working. My nitrates are extremely high right now

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep increasing the pellet amount. I find in cases like yours you might need to add more pellets than you think. Go slow but even if you hit the normally recommended 100ml per 25 gallons you might need to increase it even more. I wouldn't add pellets more often than every other week.

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited reading this rightnow! Thanks for all the good advice provided to the OP its helped us both thats for sure. I'm going to be getting my BP reactor online tomorrow now! Good luck @SakuraSky with your nitrates. Let's hope we all have better results

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited reading this rightnow! Thanks for all the good advice provided to the OP its helped us both thats for sure. I'm going to be getting my BP reactor online tomorrow now! Good luck @SakuraSky with your nitrates. Let's hope we all have better results
I'm really happy this is helping others. Lots of great info. Which one are you going with? Mine should be here next week!

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy this is helping others. Lots of great info. Which one are you going with? Mine should be here next week!
I totally agree! I went with the Reef octopus br70 and BRS bio pellets. I also ordered an aquamaxx reactor for GFO before I learned about N/P hybrid pellets.. but I guess its ok since ill be able to control how much both export nutrients induviduly .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back