OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201224_223029.jpg

Christmas came early!!! Didn't think I'd get it today! Skimmer won't get here till next week though.
And I actually thought I'd have to mod it to adjust the water flow (from what I read from someone else) but I guess they upgraded the pump and the pump has an adjustable spot built in!
20201224_223242.jpg

20201224_223357.jpg

20201224_223017.jpg

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have been good all year for Santa to visit early :) congrats! I got mine all plumbed in and seeded today, Going to let the glue fully set before running water through it. Looking forward to seeing updates on your results
20201224_205059.jpg
20201224_205044.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to respond to a pet peeve of mine...

BP don't ADD Carbon.

BP are insoluble bio-polymer. They're inert in bacteria-free environments.

BP are consumed by a narrow range of Bacteria that also consume N+P.

BP are self-regulating.

As N+P levels drop, Bacterial biomass also drops.

Traditional Carbon dosing creates a condition where an excess of C is added to an aquarium spurring a temporary burst in Bacterial growth with a die-off to follow as nutrients drop.

Since BP don't add C, Bacterial population stays more stable.

Not a big deal... Just wanted to get the info out.
I certainly recall at least one biopellet manufacturer's video specifically stating that their biopellets were a biodegradeable polymer that provides a source of carbon similar to carbon dosing but without the ongoing hassle of dosing vodka or such. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot exactly how bp works, as long as it does the job.

While on the subject of biopellets, what's your thoughts on biopellets without a skimmer? Do you believe that's a viable solution, or is a skimmer absolutely required?

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly recall at least one biopellet manufacturer's video specifically stating that their biopellets were a biodegradeable polymer that provides a source of carbon similar to carbon dosing but without the ongoing hassle of dosing vodka or such. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot exactly how bp works, as long as it does the job.

While on the subject of biopellets, what's your thoughts on biopellets without a skimmer? Do you believe that's a viable solution, or is a skimmer absolutely required?
I believe that a skimmer is 100% neccessary with a BP reactor from what I've both seen and read.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, skimmer needed.

BP's are really fascinating. They're inert. Except for in the presence of certain Bacteria. Biodegradable, yes... But soluble in water, no.

Think of them as a stationary food source for Bacteria instead of liquid C added to your tank.

They're a food source AND a substrate for Bacteria.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm very fortunate I think I can make this work. I just got my skimmer. Its hooked up, what a great product. Its pretty big for my tiny little sump lol and the reactor BARELY fits. The pump for the reactor doesn't fit. So I have to hunt down either some tubing or an elbow pipe to attach the pump as the pump has room in the middle of the sump, just not to the side. I WILL make it work. I'm not buying another sump.
20201228_190436.jpg
20201228_185708.jpg
20201228_191100.jpg

The blue is where the fittings need to go to hook the pump to the reactor. The red line is the outtake for the reactor almost in line with the intake to the skimmer. Its a freaking tight squeeze in there. I had to put my Heater under the reservoir for the bio balls. It's weird but it works.
Letting the skimmer run, did a big water change a few days ago. Will test nitrates

HigherStandards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm very fortunate I think I can make this work. I just got my skimmer. Its hooked up, what a great product. Its pretty big for my tiny little sump lol and the reactor BARELY fits. The pump for the reactor doesn't fit. So I have to hunt down either some tubing or an elbow pipe to attach the pump as the pump has room in the middle of the sump, just not to the side. I WILL make it work. I'm not buying another sump.
20201228_190436.jpg
20201228_185708.jpg
20201228_191100.jpg

The blue is where the fittings need to go to hook the pump to the reactor. The red line is the outtake for the reactor almost in line with the intake to the skimmer. Its a freaking tight squeeze in there. I had to put my Heater under the reservoir for the bio balls. It's weird but it works.
Letting the skimmer run, did a big water change a few days ago. Will test nitrates
Any way to flip the eflux pump and put the inlet near the skimmer adjustable part? If you turn the skimmer counter-clockwise to accept the inlet then you could slide the reactor down with the pump in the original place? That sump is tiny and I'm in the same boat also. Next upgrade for me is a sump for sure!

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to flip the eflux pump and put the inlet near the skimmer adjustable part? If you turn the skimmer counter-clockwise to accept the inlet then you could slide the reactor down with the pump in the original place? That sump is tiny and I'm in the same boat also. Next upgrade for me is a sump for sure!
I could flip the eflux, but unfortunately no other combo will work with the skimmer and reactor. Its so tiny, ill have to make it work for now :(

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am late to the party, but if not said already, make sure and keep your aeration up. The growing bacteria will consume some oxygen, which is another reason to have an oversized skimmer. Keep the surface agitation up.

Once it gets going, your skimmer should stink like a dead skunk that has been on the highway for a week at 100 degrees. If it does not, then you might need to up the dose. You will likely need to empty and clean the cup every day or two. It should skim dry with ease and not overflow. The drier parts should get sticky.

Do NOT up the dosage quickly or your bacteria will multiply too quickly, use all of the oxygen and suffocate your fish. It has happened, so be careful.

Organic Carbon is like high tide and it lifts all ships... good and bad bacteria alike can use it to multiply better. Fish with bacterial infections seem to do worse as well as some other stories that have been posted. These are mostly outliers and dosing organic carbon is relatively safe in the right application, but something to keep in mind.

It takes a while for the bacteria to start to multiply, live and then die. You mostly skim the dead ones, so be patient and wait for the process to work.

Biopellets do release carbon, just like any other kind of organic carbon dosing.... but different, not ethanol, vinegar or sugar, but a different kind. Without more carbon, it doesn't work.

I just used sugar in my FOWLR - cheap, pure and easy.

Your skimmer should look something like this if you are doing this right.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 8.57.59 PM.png

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I have run bio pellets in a reef fanatics reactor on my tank for the past 5 years with good results the downside is they do need regular maintenance and my biggest problem is finding a good pellet and have tried loads. What do you suggest and one that will last and not clump and block the pipework with gunge .

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my skimmer.
Unrelated to your biopellets but if you have never had a skimmer before for gas exchange I would watch your DKH over the next few days. If the skimmer helps push the PH up your corals will consume alkalinity more then they were at a lower PH and may require increased dosing.

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch your parameters, Biopellets are very effective. I used one on my mixed reef for the fist few months. It did a great job of keeping the nitrates low. After the 3rd month reduced the flow slowly until I stopped using it. So I had good experience with it. (reef Octopus). For a mixed reef long-term, I am not a fan. But may work ell for your fish only. Funny I was in my fish room and just looked at it deciding if I want to keep it or not.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your biopellets but if you have never had a skimmer before for gas exchange I would watch your DKH over the next few days. If the skimmer helps push the PH up your corals will consume alkalinity more then they were at a lower PH and may require increased dosing.
I dont have corals, its a fish only tank

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch your parameters, Biopellets are very effective. I used one on my mixed reef for the fist few months. It did a great job of keeping the nitrates low. After the 3rd month reduced the flow slowly until I stopped using it. So I had good experience with it. (reef Octopus). For a mixed reef long-term, I am not a fan. But may work ell for your fish only. Funny I was in my fish room and just looked at it deciding if I want to keep it or not.
I figured I will not be using the biobpellets for a long time, will definitely stop when I reach a desired level

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you are interested in a Reef Octopus BR-110. I dont see me needing it anymore.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am late to the party, but if not said already, make sure and keep your aeration up. The growing bacteria will consume some oxygen, which is another reason to have an oversized skimmer. Keep the surface agitation up.

Once it gets going, your skimmer should stink like a dead skunk that has been on the highway for a week at 100 degrees. If it does not, then you might need to up the dose. You will likely need to empty and clean the cup every day or two. It should skim dry with ease and not overflow. The drier parts should get sticky.

Do NOT up the dosage quickly or your bacteria will multiply too quickly, use all of the oxygen and suffocate your fish. It has happened, so be careful.

Organic Carbon is like high tide and it lifts all ships... good and bad bacteria alike can use it to multiply better. Fish with bacterial infections seem to do worse as well as some other stories that have been posted. These are mostly outliers and dosing organic carbon is relatively safe in the right application, but something to keep in mind.

It takes a while for the bacteria to start to multiply, live and then die. You mostly skim the dead ones, so be patient and wait for the process to work.

Biopellets do release carbon, just like any other kind of organic carbon dosing.... but different, not ethanol, vinegar or sugar, but a different kind. Without more carbon, it doesn't work.

I just used sugar in my FOWLR - cheap, pure and easy.

Your skimmer should look something like this if you are doing this right.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 8.57.59 PM.png
Thats why I bought the 150 octopus instead of the 110. Was also considering putting a wooden aerator in the sump

I did considering dosing with sugar (and I still might) but I've heard that sugar will COAT your tank with bacteria and really depleat the oxygen in your tank. I've heard many contradictory things about natural carbon dosing and honestly it makes me nervous. I've watched a lot of videos about it too and I'm still iffy about it. But my nitrates are so high I might not have a choice. But I don't want to use that doing method as a long term solution, I want to dose once and then have the bio pellets take over with the upkeep of bacteria.

When I worked at the fish store, I had to change the skimmer cup which was about 2ft wide and 2ft tall and omg it took a LOT not to gag. It was something I've gotten used to over the years.

I plan to use very very little pellets and add a very small amount. I've done my research that I feel comfortable knowing how it works, what not to do and so forth. I feel this is a good decision for my tank setup right now. I mean, we arent talking like 60 nitrates here either (and I can totally see why people would run into trouble dosing or doing bp with a low amount of nitrates)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You very likely will have different bacteria grow from whatever you dose vs whatever the biopellets are. Hard to kick start and then switch.

Sugar is fine. Vinegar is fine. Vodka is fine. Biopellets are fine. A mix is fine. I hate the smell of vinegar and cheap vodka was still not cheap had too many impurities for me (although it is still probably fine)... so I went with sugar since it was cheap, pure and easy. Each has their downsides and positives. Some bio pellet reactors can get full of gunk, clog and not work right without constant cleaning, but the manufacturer and BRS videos don't tell you about this.

People used to get all bent out of shape over the particular kind of dosing, but it was all stupid... like a sticker Calvin whizzing on a Ford, Chevy or Ram truck while on another brand. Dumb. Some types have a very small chance of fueling some cyano over others, but at your levels the cyano is long since poisoned anyway... we are talking small here and not worth arguing about unless you do indeed have a Calvin ticking sticker and are a huge fanboy.

If your N is that high, then you will not likely be able to do this super slow. You will need to be somewhat aggressive while being safe and ramping SLOWLY. Most biopellet systems were made to kinda maintain and not really lower, but some can lower with larger amounts.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You very likely will have different bacteria grow from whatever you dose vs whatever the biopellets are. Hard to kick start and then switch.

Sugar is fine. Vinegar is fine. Vodka is fine. Biopellets are fine. A mix is fine. I hate the smell of vinegar and cheap vodka was still not cheap had too many impurities for me (although it is still probably fine)... so I went with sugar since it was cheap, pure and easy. Each has their downsides and positives. Some bio pellet reactors can get full of gunk, clog and not work right without constant cleaning, but the manufacturer and BRS videos don't tell you about this.

People used to get all bent out of shape over the particular kind of dosing, but it was all stupid... like a sticker Calvin whizzing on a Ford, Chevy or Ram truck while on another brand. Dumb. Some types have a very small chance of fueling some cyano over others, but at your levels the cyano is long since poisoned anyway... we are talking small here and not worth arguing about unless you do indeed have a Calvin ticking sticker and are a huge fanboy.

If your N is that high, then you will not likely be able to do this super slow. You will need to be somewhat aggressive while being safe and ramping SLOWLY. Most biopellet systems were made to kinda maintain and not really lower, but some can lower with larger amounts.
My nitrates are 250ppm+ so mostly likely around the 300-350ppm range. Initially the plan was to dose sugar to quickly get them down as I realize the bp will not do this quickly. But I know once I get them down (even by 100 ppms or so)they will creep back up again and I plan to have a heavy bioload. The BP are for maintaining this system long term (or however long i need until) but since they are so high I think the BP will work well. The reactor i have is a pretty great design and I dont see it really clogging at all

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it. Honestly I was thiiiiis close to buying some chaeto. But I personally think its not a longterm solution and I dont even know if it will do well. I've read about the chaeto reactors, not really impressed with it tbh and have heard they don't work that well esp compared to a refugium.

Chaeto is a fantastic long term solution. You just need the proper light and to make sure you are replenishing trace elements that it uses.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back