Bio Spira in QT question

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: If I add bio spira in my QT with just PVC pipe, powerhead and a heater will the bacteria still work long term? Or do I need to add a rock in there? I do not have a HOB filter.
Also can I add it with fish already in the tank or should I let it mix for a day and then add fish?

As of now I am swapping fish every 3 days to a new tank so I am going through salt. I still have another 30 days to wait out brook.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just kicked up a thread showing biospira working great right from day one for a full reef tank using dry material. It works the same in your qt tank, but those run notoriously low on surface area and people use prime commonly to offset the risk.

If you want to maximize your setup, input a dry sponge filter bubbling system right when you dose bac. Dry imports won’t vector crypto or require fallow, sponge bubblers are massive surface area, and dosed bio spira will populate this safe high surface area system in one day and reef permanently thereafter without prime, until medications stress it.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just kicked up a thread showing biospira working great right from day one for a full reef tank using dry material. It works the same in your qt tank, but those run notoriously low on surface area and people use prime commonly to offset the risk.

If you want to maximize your setup, input a dry sponge filter bubbling system right when you dose bac. Dry imports won’t vector crypto or require fallow, sponge bubblers are massive surface area, and dosed bio spira will populate this safe high surface area system in one day and reef permanently thereafter without prime, until medications stress it.

yea I was just reading that thread which made me look into bio spira but since he had sand and rock it would be a little different. I do actually have some life rock which he used too in my garage. I can rinse it off and put it in the tank and take out pvc

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I was just reading that thread which made me look into bio spira but since he had sand and rock it would be a little different. I do actually have some life rock which he used too in my garage. I can rinse it off and put it in the tank and take out pvc

the rock could absorb and leach out copper and other meds you might end up using in the QT

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back