Bioballs?

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am purchasing my Biocube 29 next week. My question is...should I remove the bioballs? I have heard from some people that they increase the nitrate levels. They do they serve any good purpose? Let me know what you think.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be good. The problem (from my understanding) is that if they are exposed to air for a length of time, like a power outage, they will dry out. Then all of the bacteria will die off and cause a cycle. I have no experience with them because I was told to avoid then when I got my first tank.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with that said I just bought a marine pure block for a tank I'm setting up. They are at BRS. Take a look at their site. Bulkreefsupply.com. Look for marine pure and watch the video. I would forgo the plastic balls and look into that route if you wanted.

OP
OP
lickyricky

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with that said I just bought a marine pure block for a tank I'm setting up. They are at BRS. Take a look at their site. Bulkreefsupply.com. Look for marine pure and watch the video. I would forgo the plastic balls and look into that route if you wanted.

Two questions come to mind. How many of those ceramic balls would I need? Do you think I would be okay with the plastic balls if my reef was on a back up power supply?? is the only issue you know of a power outage?
I am really anxious to get my tank up and running and would hate to have to start over for any reason

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have heard that it is best to have them spin, and if they stop then the same thing will happen. I can't see how this is true. Yes you could use the plastic ones. Again I have almost a need to tell you not to, but I think that is just from me being told that countless times.

They increase the amount of surface area that microorganisms can live on I know there are people that have and currently use them with no I'll affect. I haven't spoken with any. Maybe someone will be able to step in that has real experience with them.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video he tells that the ceramic balls have x amount more surface area. So in my thought just get as many as you can put in there and completely covered with water.

If you order them this weekend they would be at your place next week. I don't think that they have any thing that would cause a cycle so they should be able to be added to a tank at any time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back