Question on Biocube16 Filtration Media

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my Biocube 16 in Jan 2021, I used all the compartments with bioballs, carbon, etc. But after a disastrous power outage last year, since I had to move thigs about, I decided to remove the chambers and bioballs. Instead, I have been putting carbon and purigen sometimes as well as a poly filter in the chambers. I had read a long time ago, that bio balls should not be needed in a nano reef. What is the current thinking around filtration media in a reef tank?

My setup is fairly simple - do not have protein skimmers or carbon scrubbers. I am just using the tank as is, with an upgraded Steve's Leds light setup. And an air stone. Someone told me I might need more flow but there is not a ton of room in biocubes - I'm using the powerhead that comes with it and the air stone for added oxygen. I often put the airstone in the filter area - not sure if it matters if it is in the main tank or the filter. This is a pic of my nano biocube 16. I have posted other struggles but right now, the readings are pretty consistent. Salinity 35, pH 7.9-8.1, Alk, 9, MG 1450, CA 440, phosphates .1 or less, Nitrates 5-10 (I have to dose to keep this higher than 0).

Inhabitants are mostly soft coral, invertebrates, and one clownfish. Going to add a Blenny or someone else soon. Thanks for the advice. I would love to know what others are doing with similar tank setups. Feel free to share pics too :cool:

IMG_4462.jpeg

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I started my Biocube 16 in Jan 2021, I used all the compartments with bioballs, carbon, etc. But after a disastrous power outage last year, since I had to move thigs about, I decided to remove the chambers and bioballs. Instead, I have been putting carbon and purigen sometimes as well as a poly filter in the chambers. I had read a long time ago, that bio balls should not be needed in a nano reef. What is the current thinking around filtration media in a reef tank?

My setup is fairly simple - do not have protein skimmers or carbon scrubbers. I am just using the tank as is, with an upgraded Steve's Leds light setup. And an air stone. Someone told me I might need more flow but there is not a ton of room in biocubes - I'm using the powerhead that comes with it and the air stone for added oxygen. I often put the airstone in the filter area - not sure if it matters if it is in the main tank or the filter. This is a pic of my nano biocube 16. I have posted other struggles but right now, the readings are pretty consistent. Salinity 35, pH 7.9-8.1, Alk, 9, MG 1450, CA 440, phosphates .1 or less, Nitrates 5-10 (I have to dose to keep this higher than 0).

Inhabitants are mostly soft coral, invertebrates, and one clownfish. Going to add a Blenny or someone else soon. Thanks for the advice. I would love to know what others are doing with similar tank setups. Feel free to share pics too :cool:

IMG_4462.jpeg

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Biocube rock! Our first saltwater tank was a Biocube.
AIO chambers are great for customizing according to what the tank may need.
Maybe it’s filter floss or carbon, maybe pieces of rubble rock or a place for dead coral skeletons to create a cryptic zone. Some folks fill them up and some leave them pretty bare. It’s also a great place for tube worms to filter water or that rogue crab that needs a home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back