Biocube 29 DIY Stand Build

rhub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am making my first attempt at building a tank stand for a biocube 29. I created a model in sketchup and am interested in what your thoughts are or any advice on improvements if I overlooked something. Please see images attached. I decided on 5/8 inch white melamine for all the pieces and would only need some edge banding since the sides are already white. The Cylinder is a 12" diameter X 12" tall inch tall ato ro bucket for reference. The entire stands dimensions are 43.63"H X 20" W X 21" D. Plan to use 1" screws to attach everything with pocket holes. I attached a waterbox stand reference which gave me the idea for the build.

I did make separate plans with 2x4's Which I know would work fine but wanted to see if I could make something that looked a little sleeker as the 2x4 stands are usually pretty bulky. Obviously I'd rather be safe than sorry so if this build doesn't seem like it would work than Im fine with the 2x4's.

Thank you all in advance!

stand 1.jpg
front.jpg
side 2.jpg
rear.jpg
waterbox reference.jpg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi the plans look good I’m a project superintendent by trade. The plans look good I think it’ll look really sleek if I were you I would reinforce the inside corners with 2x4s and Maybe cross bracing on the inside. Might be overkill but it’s better safe than sorry I have my nieces and nephews come and look at my tank and God knows how many times I see them lean on the stand or try and climb it.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the height. I have a 29 biocube set up and running since 2014. Black stand came that came with it has top corners where that tank sits shredded from occasional water drips, melamine covered particle wood. I am looking to remake the stand soon. One thing I would like is to match is the bowed glass with the stand.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the bottom of the Stand with a new piece of Plywood. Top put a larger piece of Plywood over the existing Stand top, for a place to set stuff down on. Entire Stand Painted with Rust Oleum Topsides Paint. Top leftover Gloss Black Rust Oleum, Outside Over-coated with Krylon Satin Black.

image.jpg image.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the bottom of the Stand with a new piece of Plywood. Top put a larger piece of Plywood over the existing Stand top, for a place to set stuff down on. Entire Stand Painted with Rust Oleum Topsides Paint. Top leftover Gloss Black Rust Oleum, Outside Over-coated with Krylon Satin Black.

image.jpg image.jpg
Dang, I wish I would have seen this 2 years ago! Great idea.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are Pictures of the Stand, during rework. Stand is upside down. I soaked thinned Shellac into the Plywood, let it dry for a week, sanded and top coated with Spars, usually it’s a clear coat on the part next to the floor. Poly Wood was used for new feet.

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpeg
    IMG_3439.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 19

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back