Omar Torres

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Have a lot to update since I was last on here.

3/13

So after a long chat with a fellow reefer and a lot of research on some sites and forums, I came to the conclusion that hermits were not the right inhabitants for my tank. In most nano systems, I have read of them being destructive, territorial, and down right a pain. On 3/6 I took all my hermits back to the LFS looking to trade and get some snails. They had no snails but recommended another peppermint shrimp for the current one. I agreed and got a smaller shrimp, as well as a small pencil urchin. I also talked to the gentleman that continues to help me with my tank.... and he suggested since my tank parameters showed 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 0 nitrites to add some fish. Went with a pair of clowns. I am quite content with them. At this point the inhabitants in my tank were as follows:

2 Ocellaris clown fish
Pencil Urchin
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Peppermint shrimp
3 mussels that came with live rock
2 Hidden cup coral
2 Caribbean rose Coral

CLOWNS (No names as I have no clue the sex or if they have paired yet. They came from a tank with about 30 other fish with them)

Hidden Cup Coral (Direct feeding 2x a week and seems to be growing more heads rapidly!)

Caribbean rose Coral

Other small Caribbean rose coral

All coral at this point came on live rock!

At this time I also realized that my 950 power head was too strong and I down graded to a 565 Hydor nano which seems to be working great!! I was thinking about adding another power head rated around 300 to add another current across the front of the tank. There seams to be mixed reviews about this. As a nano reefer (for right now) I was thinking some exotic zoanthids, some hammers, some mushrooms, leathers, and any other bright corals I can jam in here with steves LED. I will be able to support high light with the leds and heavy feeding since i have a hydor nano slim skim and an intank media basket. Any recommendations on this guys?

At this point I decided to order some snails from live aquaria. My order was as follows:

SW - Cerith Snail (Mexico) 10
SW - Super Tongan Nassarius Snail - Large 6
SW - Fighting Conch (Tonga) 1

The box came in 3/8 and was the wrong order.... They sent me a seahorse, a torch coral, and a brain coral. Gave the seahorse away to a fellow forum member to save his life as I had no tank for him. As for the corals Live aquaria shipped some more snails and let me keep the corals. They have now been added to my tank.

3/11 Got the snails in and everyone except the cerith snails are moving. 2 eventually moved but I am leaving them in the tank 7 days to see if they finally come out to eat.

Now I have pictures and Questions

Mussels

Coral Concerns

I am now trying to seek best placement for my torch and brain coral since live aquaria sent them to me on accident and I was not planning on having any bigger corals yet. I am scared the torch will sting the clams, the tube coral, and brain coral near it. I am thinking about replacing the torch in either spot 1 or 2. What you guys think? The current in that corner seems a little rough... will it acclimate?

Live sand question?

I heard pink and purple spots of sand is normal. No one in the tank seems to mind it.

Clown Concern

One of my clowns seems to be pooping long white strings. He also stays in the back of the tank near the surface. Has anyone experienced this? I heard it may be parasites. Also only of my clowns has small scratches near the face. They seem healed. Is that natural?

OP
OP
Omar Torres

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: installed my hydor Ato system. Will post pics tomorrow. Skimmer is finally stabilized due to stable water levels. Hopefully this will get rid of the micro bubbles. Also glad that I do not have to top off and constantly change parameters. Will do a water check tomorrow. Did a 30% water change yesterday and dosed my water with http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...dRjX8-n12y2rZy9rGE-qnL7qDFx8x4hQ4QaAgfV8P8HAQ to help with the parasites in the fish. No one seems to be bothered by it. Picked up some tiny zoanthids. Pink and orange. Green and blue. They look awesome.

Brian wea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 dwarf blue leg hermits, a blue knuckle hermit, another hermit that's black with yellow stripes, an emerald crab, a fire shrimp, a pistol shrimp, a palm palm crab, and another crab that is a filter feeder the fans the filter fingers.. I only have 2 snails in my tank.. ime the peppermint shrimp I had did way more damage than my hermits.. the hermits are way cooler to look at than snails.. just my opinion.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%

Back