Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Omar from Bowie, Maryland here.

Decided to keep a journal of some kind on a website so I can learn and keep track of my progress on this great adventure of reef aquariums.I know this hobby can be very rewarding if done properly so I made sure I had 100+ hours of research on the subject before diving in.After coming across may setups, some complicated and some rather simple, I decided bio cube 29 gallon in my bedroom would be a good choice for me.My father kept guppies when I was younger and I have always loved fish and the reefs.Being able to mimic this in my living room got me very excited and off I went to amazon.

Main Compartment

20 pounds dry rock

6 pounds live rock from shores of mexico

CaribSea Arag-Alive 20-Pound Special Grade Reef Sand, Bimini Pink

Temperature Control

EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 100W

Liquid Crystal Horizontal Aquarium Thermometer

HDE LCD Digital Fish Tank Aquarium Thermometer

Extra Lighting

2 of Coralife Energy Savers ACL15608 Biocube Led Light Bar, Blue

Cleaning Products

Biocube Algae Cleaning Magnet

KollerCraft Aquarius Aquarium Fish Net with Stainless Steel Handle, Medium

25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System

Water Maintenance and Circulation

Hydor Koralia Evolution 750/850 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 750-850 GPH

Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer for Aquarium Filter

Biological Filter

Pura (Magnavore) APU00414 3-Pack 300-Micron Media Bags for Aquarium Filter, 6 by 12-Inch

Seachem Matrix Carbon 100ml

Seachem Matrix Bio Media 1 Liter

2 of Eshopps AEO19070 Square Foam Aquarium Filter, Large

Seachem Purigen 100ml

Poly Filter Pad 4 X 8"

Test Kits

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Coralife Energy Savers ACLAF877 Deep Six Hydrometer

If you notice I went with a higher water flow and with a better filtration system then originally comes with this system in anticipation of adding future corals.When filling the tank I used nutri sea water and water from my lps (Tropicals in Glen Burnie)After finally setting up the tank with everything in it on 2/22/16 I was able to run the tank successfully but with temperatures as high as 83.3I then realized my water level was double the max line and lowered it to where it needed to be.This then dropped the temperature to 81.03 which is better but not optimal.I was able to achieve a constant salinity of 1.025 and a ph of 8.2.I am not worried about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at this time.My primary concern was dropping the temperature, so after researching about 2 hours I came across a solution that a fellow reefer had tried with the same tank to achieve a constant temperature of 78.

Tank Cooling Addition

Sanatop Aquarium Cooling System Fan Chiller + AC Adapter (6-Fan)

Zoo Med AquaSun Aquarium Controller Timer & Power Strip

I was almost dreading the fact of having to buy a chiller for this unit as I felt it was a little overkill.With this attached and the back door removed, the unit looks very classy and stays cooler.The unit is also on a hinge to move up and down with the tank door.So I am currently waiting for this unit.

On 2/22/16 I also added 20 pounds of dry rock.

On today, 2/26/16, took a sample of water to my lps and test came out ok.No nitrites or nitrates and a little bit of ammonia.Decided to buy 6 lb of live rock and add it to the tank.Guy at the lps recommended some blue legged hermit crabs.Bought 12 for 8$.SCORED BIG TIME.Paid 100 dollars for rock.Came with following inhabitants: Torch coral, pistol shrimp,and some unidentifiable.

The lps did not realize the critters were inside but did mention that anything attached to the rock was included.I feel really excited about the surprise torch and shrimp.The shrimp is shy and lives in a small cave at the top of the rock.The coral the size of a dime is small but seems to like the water flow.It also seems to be moving closer to the light.

Now I have pictures and also need help identifying some things in the tank.

What I believed at first to be a pistol shrimp... then realized it was a mantis..... KIA

Unidentifiable white star

Another Shot of white star and another brown star in top right

2/27/16

Mantis shrimp now gone.... Everything else is good. Just keeping my eyes peeled for other nastiness
Will add more random pics

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of Biocubes. I've had mine up for only a couple of months now and have it stocked full. If you are going to get serious about corals, you will want to look into upgrading those stock PCs. The supplemental LEDs that you added are good for viewing but unfortunately they are too weak to help coral growth at all.

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the most success with biocubes when I removed the lid completely and installed a Kessel above it. The lid traps a lot of heat unnecessary. But to each his own, good luck and it looks good!

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially did an LED mod and kept the hood in place...I've got 5 kids and not sure how I feel about an open top. Eventually I'll switch over to a Kessel or an AI Prime.

Brian wea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160227_192315.jpg
I've had a cube going for almost 3 months now. Your set up is definitely on track. One of the most important things I added to my cube was an ato systems because the water volume is so low evaporation had my salinity up and down to much through out the day. Reef Tanks are about stability. And Imo the skimmer u have didn't work for me. I did try it as I use the red Sea not po4x to help with nitrates and phosphate. I am using the aquamaxx hob, a more pricy option but there are cheaper units that will do fine in replace of that little skimmer. One last thing I did because I wanted good growth and some bubble tip anemones was took the hood off and I am using a kessil 360we tuna blue here's a pic my friend and good luck, happy reefing

michaust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome I also just started a bio cube and live in Waldorf MD

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure and run some granular activated carbon (GAC). You don't need a reactor for it, just throw a bag in a back chamber or use a pouch of chemipure, c. elite, or c. blue.

OP
OP
Omar Torres

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all the info. Firstly.... this skimmer sucks and I am thinking about taking it out all together. I got it for 20 and realized right away it was garbage. @joshkirkland83 salinity at 35ppt brother after calibrating my atc refractometer. ;D thanks brotha!! @pdt7361 I would love to upgrade the light but I like how the hood looks. I was thinking about upgrading the light but cutting a circular hole in it to allow for the hang on leds.... I have cats and I would hate for pets to kill other pets. What did you use to upgrade? @Brian wea can you give me a link to the skimmer and how you set it up. please and thank you brotha!!!

Waldorf you say? What fish store you go to?

3/3/16 Update

reFractometer arrived .35ppt salinity

Carbonate hardness test arrived.

Waiting on calcium, phosphate, and magnesium test.

3/1/16 Last test showed ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0

Got some more live rock

Brain Coral
Tube Coral
3 clams

All IDed Hitchhikers.

Only 4 pounds for a total of 30 lb of rock in tank.

Live Aquaria Order

KIA 2 electric hermit crabs.

2 zebra hermit crabs

2 red leg hermit crabs

2 bumble bee snails

Peppermint cleaner shrimp

2 emerald crabs.

2/29/16
Live rock bought from lps house of tropics. Thought I was buying alot of rock. ended up with 3 big clams and some corals. Was able to save one brain coral and both tube coral. two pieces of brain coral I assume already died on rock since I don't see them feeding at night. One of the tube coral was being eaten by a random snail. Removed snail and coral began to eat immediately and came out of hiding. Feeding all coral a mix of brine shrimp and coral frenzy. Corals seem happy and actively are out. These are low light corals from what i have read and should be ok? Should I wait to confirm other corals are dead? How should i get rid of the coral if one is attached to a clam? How should I remove the other one next to the live brain coral?
3/1/16
Sigh.... So you may have noticed the 2 electric hermit crabs are dead. One died in transit... Claws ripped off or fell off??? Bag mate seemed irritated. I think he is to blame. Acclimate and transfer everyone else. Reminding you guys i have 11 blue leg hermit crabs and believe everyone would get along. Everyone claims their spot.

3/2/16
get home from work a couple of hours ago. Second blue hermit crab shell is still in place where i last saw him. Move the shell. Nothing inside? I'm thinking he abandoned his shell after the stress? Anyways find his body scattered in from of one of the emerald crab dens. Did my emerald crab kill him? I didn't know these guys were enemies? Did the hermit try to kill someone else and in turn get killed?

Oh well so is life.

Going to call live aquaria and let them know that the crab is dead. Hoping he died due to the ride and that the others just ate the remains.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omar, I had thought about cutting a hole like you are describing and mounting an AI Prime to it, but most hang on LEDs need to be higher up - like 8 inches from water surface to provide a sufficient spread. In order to keep my hood intact, I did a custom LED configuration using 5 TrueLumen Pro LED strips plus 2 of the existing Coralife LED fixtures that were in the hood.
20160129_132525.jpg

OP
OP
Omar Torres

Omar Torres

Noob Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdt7361 paul, thanks for the info. Ive seen all the tutorials on this and think if i'm going to spend 200 bucks lol why can't it be already assembled. I wish you could buy a hood with this already installed. Not that I can't do it, I don't want to interrupt the light cycle, crack the hood, take the time lol but will probably end up buying Stevens led kit. which seems to be more plug and play then any other set up ive seen. The version 4 is 300$ and claims it's mostly assembled with a 5 step install. @michaust we are going to have to meet up one day so you can show me what they got!!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back