OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pretty awesome equipment upgrades and unique ideas coming over the next week. Installing the kessil for the fuge tomorrow night. And have a unique skimmer concept using a stock coralife cube skimmer but changing it quute a bit... I tried the aquatic life 115 and was very disappointed. It lead me to doing allot of research which lead to an idea. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having a Tunze in the past on Biocube, and not being happy with how tough it was to keep it dialed in chamber 2 coupled with wanting to try out a different style of filtration, I bought and tried out the Aquaticlife 115 in chamber 1. I was very disappointed with the noise and the fit with reduced flow through chamber 1.

skimmer box.jpg

I decided to try a custom Coralife Biocube skimmer modified.

airstone.jpg

I used the stock skimmer and purchased these longer air stones. For the air pump, I replace the stock one with a Tetra 20 whisper.

skimmer assy.jpg

I found a stock vacuum with the same diameter tube as the stock skimmer had but much longer. I cut it down to 10" and put the skimmer tube on the vaccum hose to keep it useable :)

skimmer cup side.jpg

Here it is assembled

skiimmer test.jpg

Here it is being tested in the tank, the stock water height was too low. I found it ideal just under the top black part on the top section. So that required me to custom make a mounting bracket to keep it at that height. The stock suction cup on the top would hit the tank rim and won't work.

skimmer cup.jpg

I used the bracket from the Aquaticlife 115 and cut a slot the coralife holder slide into. It works awesome but was a ton of work. After one day in use it dialed right in and is already pulling out dark green gunk!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before doing this I also created some more room in chamber 3 by removing the sponge wall. This allowed my MJ1200 to sit on the suction mount properly and run very quiet. As well as have some room for a carbon bag, heater and ATO bracket all in chamber 3.

return chamber.jpg

I wanted to keep the option of having sponge filter but being able to change it cheaply and easily and/ or remove it all together depending on the need of the tank. I had an old InTank media rack that was broken so I crafted a custom sponge holder. It works awesome and completely silenced the waterfall noise in the back.

So here are my rear chambers:

Chamber 3: MJ1200 Return, Cobalt Neotherm 100w Heater, Neptune ATK with float valve removed
Chamber 2: Refuge w/ ceramic bioballs and rubble then custom sponge filter feeding
Chamber 1: custom skimmer, temp probe and a few more bioballs in bottom

rear chamber top.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rear cover you see above was custom made from an old stock lid. I love the way it looks really gives the tank a finished look.

Here is another shot with it closed:

top side tank shot.jpg

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next was upgrading the refugium light in the back to really boost my growth. I went with Kessil H80. Mounting it onto my existing alum light bar I installed to hold the Radion worked well.

kessil mount 2.jpg

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is on:

night tank shot.jpg

I do have allot of light kicking off the sides of the tank. I am now building a plastic shroud to block the spill of light. I will update when I get that done should be a few days but for now it really isn't too bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have new addition, Fisher Angel Fish. He is getting along well with the Maroon clown. So current stock list;

Maroon clown
Fisher Angel
1 Emerald Crab
1 Hermit Blue Leg
1 astrea snail
1 cerith snail

Everything is reading 0 and the tank and equipment are doing well. I have an upgrade ATO reservoir system on its way. I will update when installed. Needed more water to last longer as i slowly increase the light and flow. Getting ready for my first coral soon. I was thinking a Tyree Toadstool, the clown needs a hosting area and I love the toadstools.
Here they are

#reef2reef,#worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Kessil H80:

My goal is to create a low nutrient environment and dose elements to greatly reduce water change needs. The skimmer is working great. My numbers are staying at zero and the fuge is flourishing.

I installed a Kessil H80 10 days ago to replace the Magnafuge on the back of my Biocube. I wanted to increase my macro growth to help with this process.

I had allot of reflection off the back glass that didn't look good at night when the fuge was running.

So I decided to build a blocking system that was easy to access the light dials.

20180426_215609.jpg

20180426_215902.jpg

I used a $3 black Rubbermaid container and cut it out to fit around the light bracket. Velcro was used to attach it and keep it easily removed. It look awesome and works well.

I also am getting ready to start adding corals and ramp up my lighting. I decided to install the light diffuser on my Radion and love the way it looks.

20180426_215847.jpg

I also adjusted my moonlighting scheme at night to include less light and more UV. It looks great seeing it at night like this!

Here is a before and after night shot:

night tank shot.jpg

20180426_215815.jpg

The progress on my macro growth has been incredible. I estimate the growth has accelerated about 10 times the growth I had with the old refugium light. When I installed the light I purposely removed all of exactly a fist full of Chaeto. Last night i pulled it out and look at the growth over 10 days !

20180426_220755.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an updated ATO resovoir system being installed this weekend to give me more water and make room in the cabinet for dosing in the future. I also decided to install a PM1 and breakout box for PH monitoring and some automation features on the system. Stay tuned...

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a few changes. Needed larger ATO water storage as I ramp up the lights getting ready for corals ☺
Added new cabinet will be moving the reservoir over this weekend. Also change the rock work around to make some space for coral to grow out.
Finally have the layout all set equipment wise!

20180501_204531.jpg

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping a few sps frags happy for 2 weeks I add a few more from the Jason Fox live sale. I added thr coral box wifi dosing pump and container. I am dosing Aquaforest Component 123. So far so good. My alk is running low and I am slowly ramping up my dosing amounts each day. I ordered Hanna alk checker to help with this process and excited to get it tomorrow.
Finally, happy with the equipment and have a good grasp on keeping things under control thus far.
Did a final aquascape after seeing where the frags look happy and mounted them with epoxy.
Also upgraded my ATO reservoir to 7 gallons.
Here are a bunch of updated photos:

20180521_214608.jpg

20180521_214623.jpg

20180521_214346.jpg

20180521_214355.jpg

20180521_214414.jpg

20180521_214409.jpg

20180521_214433.jpg

20180521_214506.jpg

20180521_214522.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back