Biocube 32 Build

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of reefing for 15 years or so and decided to give it a go again now the kids are gone-ish. Always wanted to try a Nano size tank so I went with a BioCube 32g set up. Picked up some "live" LifeRock from the LFS and cycle has been done for several weeks. My plan is low livestock (2-3 fish) and mostly inverts and corals. Here's the aquascape I was able to create. Lots of holes and crevices and multiple ledge areas for corals with a nice upper section for higher light requirement corals.

IMG_8581.jpeg

OP
OP
firedad74

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a CuC 3 days ago. As soon as the hermits hit the sand they went after the cerith snails and killed 6 out of 9. They didn't take their shells though. Also, almost all the nassarius snails died overnight also. Unknown if the hermits got them or not. The rest of the snails are fine. Water parameters were within normal limits before adding them(Saturday) but today(Tuesday) I have a spike in ammonia and nitrite. Is it possible the dead snails could cause a large jump? Doing a 30% water change. Last water change was a 10% on Thursday.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 as well! I just added rock last weekend. Following along!
IMG_7641.jpeg

I’m going for a CUC of just snails and shrimp for this reason. Crabs can be murder hobos.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 32 as well! I just added rock last weekend. Following along!
IMG_7641.jpeg

I’m going for a CUC of just snails and shrimp for this reason. Crabs can be murder hobos.
Dwarf red and blue legged hermits are fine. I have many with no problems. I look forward to following your build!

OP
OP
firedad74

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had hermit go murderous like these guys did. I’m leaning more toward pinning the nassarius killings on them as well. All the shells are lying upside down in the sand.

Either way, 30% water change was done and I’ll recheck levels in the morning. Also added new filter floss. I’m thinking of adding a refugium in the back also.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had hermit go murderous like these guys did. I’m leaning more toward pinning the nassarius killings on them as well. All the shells are lying upside down in the sand.

Either way, 30% water change was done and I’ll recheck levels in the morning. Also added new filter floss. I’m thinking of adding a refugium in the back also.
I go back and forth between a refugium or protein skimmer for my back. I figure I have some time to think it over before I’ll need more nutrient export.

OP
OP
firedad74

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels were much closer to normal this morning with ammonia and nitrite almost back to 0 and Nitrates are up.

On a side note I have what I’m determining to be Nerite snail eggs* on my back wall.
*Not 100% certain so I also posted in the Critter ID forum

IMG_8646.jpeg IMG_8647.jpeg

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, Those are nerite eggs.

Welcome to the Biocube club! I did a fuge in the middle chamber with no skimmer. made a few other changes if you want to check out my build thread.

great tank to get back into the hobby

welcome back

OP
OP
firedad74

firedad74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, Those are nerite eggs.

Welcome to the Biocube club! I did a fuge in the middle chamber with no skimmer. made a few other changes if you want to check out my build thread.

great tank to get back into the hobby

welcome back
Your build is awesome! Way more involved than I can be at this point. I love the idea of all the automation. I've considered upgrading the lights but I'm likely going to stick mostly to softies and LPS's and think the stock light will be sufficient for now.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back into reefing; it's a nice scape you have going on there! Thanks for bringing us along- how is your progress so far? :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back