Biocube 32 light schedule

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Everyone! Pax tecum!

I have a few questions regarding the lighting schedule. I'm currently having some algae issues, so along with some other measures I'm looking to reduce my lighting. My white lights are on for about 9 hours a day now, with blues and hour before and after. If possible, I'd like more blues than whites. I have some zoas, RBTa's, and some torches. What would y'all recommend? Thanks!

Salve Regina!

Tucker

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Everyone! Pax tecum!

I have a few questions regarding the lighting schedule. I'm currently having some algae issues, so along with some other measures I'm looking to reduce my lighting. My white lights are on for about 9 hours a day now, with blues and hour before and after. If possible, I'd like more blues than whites. I have some zoas, RBTa's, and some torches. What would y'all recommend? Thanks!

Salve Regina!

Tucker
Looks like you have a brand new tank from your previous posts. If using dry rock there will be an ugly phase that can't be avoided. Best bet is to not over feed, remove any excess algae by hand during water changes, and bolster your clean up crew. My ugly phase didn't even really get rolling until around 4 to 6 months in, and lasted almost a year.

OP
OP
TuckerMCW

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a brand new tank from your previous posts. If using dry rock there will be an ugly phase that can't be avoided. Best bet is to not over feed, remove any excess algae by hand during water changes, and bolster your clean up crew. My ugly phase didn't even really get rolling until around 4 to 6 months in, and lasted almost a year.
The 32 has been up for about 7 months nw, so we're right in the middle of the ugly phase... hoping it ends soon!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32 has been up for about 7 months nw, so we're right in the middle of the ugly phase... hoping it ends soon!
Coraline starting to grow? If not seed some. Find a snail or crab that has it and scratch it off into a powerhead

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our BC 32 is nearing the 1 yr anniversary, very enjoyable tank for small size !

I've dabbled w the light schedule, and finally settled on this program
Ch 1 9am- 5pm
Ch 2 8am- 6pm
Ch 3 5pm - 1030 pm

I recently added a cheato refuge in back chamber 2 alongside the intank media basket and run a cheato grow light from 11pm to 8 am to help w nutrients..I don't run a skimmer.
Mild adjustment to lights can help w your algea, especially after the ugly stage passes

OP
OP
TuckerMCW

TuckerMCW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our BC 32 is nearing the 1 yr anniversary, very enjoyable tank for small size !

I've dabbled w the light schedule, and finally settled on this program
Ch 1 9am- 5pm
Ch 2 8am- 6pm
Ch 3 5pm - 1030 pm

I recently added a cheato refuge in back chamber 2 alongside the intank media basket and run a cheato grow light from 11pm to 8 am to help w nutrients..I don't run a skimmer.
Mild adjustment to lights can help w your algea, especially after the ugly stage passes
Nice! Have you had success growing the cheato in such a small space? And how do you fit the grow light back there?

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is actually an Acke light sold thru Amazon. It attaches to outside of the tank w super sticky velcro. I just eyeballed about where the chamber was and stuck it on.! I have both baskets side by side

I bought a softball size wad of cheato, dropped into the intank fuge basket and it grows fast. Usually remove a baseball size chunk every 2 weeks to keep fresh.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.5%
Back