Biocube 32 - Next Fish?

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Our Biocube 32 has been up and running for about 18 months now, and everything is going reasonably well. I credit most of our success to regular weekly 5 gallon water changes keeping the parameters steady. The tank has about 20+ lbs of live rock and a fairly deep sand bed.

For fish we currently have:
- One Royal Gramma - This guy is a beautiful fish, easily 3 inches. The big guy rules the tank and regularly attacks his reflection in the glass, particularly when the glass is clean. I'm guessing he is a male...
- Pair of Ocellaris clownfish - These guys are tanked raised and very chill. They put up with some harassment from the Gramma, but it does not seem to have any real impact on their behavior. They are both growing and seem content.

Coral:
We have a wide range of LPS and soft corals growing nicely. The fish and other inhabitants leave the coral pretty much alone.

Casualty:
We lost our Jawfish, who was awesome, about six months ago. He had been in the tank for about 2 months. I attribute his death to the aggressive behavior of the Gramma both during feeding time and while attacking his reflection in the glass. It was just too much stress for our little jawfish. We would love to get another jawfish at some point, but we are going to wait for the Gramma to pass, which could be years away...

We would like to add another fish to the tank, but we need to add something that will put up with the Gramma. I have been researching the six-line wrasse. I like his size, activity level, and somewhat feisty reputation. Any thoughts?

If not a six-line, do you have any other suggestions? Ideally, we would like to something that is active, colorful and not too difficult to keep.

Please let me know if you need any more details. We are new to the hobby, but the whole family is hooked. :)

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
tanked4u

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman goby/ tiger pistol pair.

A goby would be great, but I was worried about the Gramma aggression. Do you think a goby would put up with it? Would the tiger pistol help keep the Gramma at bay?

Thanks!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A goby would be great, but I was worried about the Gramma aggression. Do you think a goby would put up with it? Would the tiger pistol help keep the Gramma at bay?

Thanks!
Honestly, I think the goby pair would be less likely to cause a territorial issue.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchmen are not the sweet little fish you expect. They can hold their own.

Yup, my DWG would snap at any fish that tried to get in it's face. @ the OP, the 6 line wrasse would be a terrible choice as they often turn into pescacidal maniacs as they mature. Pink Streaked would be a good choice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back