Biocube 32

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted this in another section but later realized this might be the more appropriate section.

So I’m new to saltwater tanks and I just purchased a Biocube 32. I’m wondering what filtration y’all would recommend. From what I understand the in tank media basket is the best option. What protein skimmer would you run with it and what should I run in the media basket?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scurvy has this same setup. It's a gorgeous tank. Knows his stuff. He is very helpful.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Ice Cap K2-50 skimmer in my 32 with the In-Tank rack. It’s a snug fit for sure but have good results with it.

For media in the rack I run similar to most I think with filter floss on top and a small bag of Phosguard under the floss. In the middle chamber I have 5.5oz bag of chemi pure blue and in the bottom a couple of bags of Seachem Pond Matrix.

Lloyd Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 Biocube. I am running the media rack from In-Tank as well as a fluval fx-4. Added Biocube protein skimmer also. Running chemi-pure blue elite and bioballs with cheato in bottom of media rack. Also a bag of sea chem purigen

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lloyd Williams from what I have read the biocube skimmer seems to be a hit or miss with most people. Have you had success with yours? @Scurvy did you have to do any mods to get the ice cap skimmer to fit in the biocube? I’m not opposed to mods just don’t know how in depth I want to get modding my tank right now.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 on Intank basket. I combined mine with the Aquticlife 115 in second chamber (held on with acrylic coated magnet from OctoAquatics) and use Marine Pure balls and some Purigen in basket. Also, upgraded stock return pump to Sicce 1.5 and significantly more flow. Just bought some random flow generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics for another tank and really like the effect they have; would recommend for Biocube as well.

Think you'll really like the tank.

Lloyd Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lloyd Williams from what I have read the biocube skimmer seems to be a hit or miss with most people. Have you had success with yours? @Scurvy did you have to do any mods to get the ice cap skimmer to fit in the biocube? I’m not opposed to mods just don’t know how in depth I want to get modding my tank right now.

The skimmer is relatively new but so far so good. The bubbles are just coming over the lip in the cup. Not seeing much junk as of yet. Thinking the fx-4 is just working that good but will be keeping an eye out

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the same mods that “In tank” uses for the Tunze 9001 only i had to cut out a little bit more of the same plastic lip. Wasnt dificult at all.

gln826

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze 9001 skimmer in the middle chamber, have a Jab Wavemaker and use a Penn Plax Elite Cascade 1000 canister filter. That's all. The key is weekly five gallon water changes. The stock lighting doesn't support SPS, but for softies, anemones and leathers, its fine.

Last edited:

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 29 biocube and I’m running a Aquamaxx was-1 in the middle chamber. I was running a Hydor slimskin but I could never get it to run consistently. It’s a 3 sided unit with the 4th side sliding in and that made it kinda flimsy for me and I had to zip tie it to keep it from popping out.

The aquamaxx unit has been awesome. It’s built really well and feels solid and most important it skins really well. I don’t use a rack, I just use a filter sock with a bag of carbon and phosguard in it also in the middle chamber. At the top of the sock where water flows in I use a piece of filter floss to catch larger junk. I change the floss and sock twice a week.

Oh I forgot to mention I removed the top lid. So I don’t know how well this skimmer would fit with the top.

Last edited:

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Biocube 32 up and running about a week ago. I use Bio Spira, to kick start it, and it kick started it alright, ammonia is a 0.25 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, and Nitrates at 40 ppm as of this morning. Now to wait for ammonia to drop to 0 and do a water change, then put my snails in there from the bucket they are currently in. My Biocube came with the Coralife basket, no bioballs (would not have used them anyway, did not like them in freshwater aquariums either). I plan on running filter floss, phosguard, and purigen, then some chaeto as I have some dry rock rubble in the bottom of chamber 2. I am using the Coralife Skimmer, and it has been giving me full cups of water in the morning and afternoon, the bubbles just make it to the top of the column for the skimmer, and I think I need to turn it down a bit more or replace that skimmer. I do plan on running a reactor with carbon and GFO in it to free up the entire 2nd chamber for chaeto.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back