Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the scape plan? Since it's been in the garage a Month, I assume you've thought about it..

The dimensions of the tank lend themselves so well to viewing top down. I know the stand is already built, so the height is set, but can you view it top down? Are you incorporating that viewing angle, into the overall design?
No plans yet. I haven't fully decided where I am going to get my rock from. This will also guide the direction I go. I'm a hands on creator. when working on things creative, I often have something set in my mind that changes organically as the process begins. Without having the rocks I will be using yet, I am not putting much thought to it. Once I procure my building pieces I will build something that speaks to me. I anticipate it will be a low profile so I have lots of horizontal space and use tall growing soft coral to vary the demential height. one thing I really dislike about my current cube scape, is the wasted mounting space with all the rocks stacked one top of the other. I have also considered a hybrid approach with some stacked and some marco NSA scape pieces.

Jason invited me over to join when the next time they build, so I can maybe play around with my own creation.

I'm pretty sure I am able to view it top down without needing something to stand on.

Last edited:

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BlueLineCoral has a bunch of Dry Pukani Rock really well priced.
I looked on site to see if theyd ship :( no luck... I could use a nice cave, and some MOAR rock always.

Edit* saw they have 3d printed. That your work @Projects with Sam ? Might honestly call and see if theyd ship. Driving 7 hours these days for rock might have me around $6 a lb all said and done :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I looked on site to see if theyd ship :( no luck... I could use a nice cave, and some MOAR rock always.

Edit* saw they have 3d printed. That your work @Projects with Sam ? Might honestly call and see if theyd ship. Driving 7 hours these days for rock might have me around $6 a lb all said and done :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
not my work! I think it was a wakeup call for him that there were some low hanging fruit he missed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plans yet. I haven't fully decided where I am going to get my rock from. This will also guide the direction I go. I'm a hands on creator. when working on things creative, I often have something set in my mind that changes organically as the process begins. Without having the rocks I will be using yet, I am not putting much thought to it. Once I procure my building pieces I will build something that speaks to me. I anticipate it will be a low profile so I have lots of horizontal space and use tall growing soft coral to vary the demential height. one thing I really dislike about my current cube scape, is the wasted mounting space with all the rocks stacked one top of the other. I have also considered a hybrid approach with some stacked and some marco NSA scape pieces.

Jason invited me over to join when the next time they build, so I can maybe play around with my own creation.

I'm pretty sure I am able to view it top down without needing something to stand on.
TLDR Sam Still Sucks.

I struggled with the Look of what I wanted for a long time. What I actually ended up doing is super rough sketching the top down footprint and a rough idea from the front and the end which were primary viewing angles.

Once I had refined it in paper once, I took to paint sticks on the glass. Figuring out and dimensions that look best from how far I would be viewing it from.

At the end of that you get to use the rock and let it become what it is, while having worked things out in real size.

For me, bigger complex projects can be broken down into smaller simpler sub parts. Understanding what general form I wanted that met the inhabitant needs now and later, was a big relief. At that point we could move to the rock and let that part come to life.

Before we got the rock into the same room as the tank, Jason and I transferred a lot of details onto the glass for building the escape.

It was the best one that I think is possible in this tank. Unfortunately it had to be torn apart to get all the fish out, but that first one was killer!! I'm still using the same footprint and dimensions that I originally sketched out.

TLDR Doing a little bit of planning beforehand. Will make the aquascape build easier and better for your current and future needs.

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I struggled with the Look of what I wanted for a long time. What I actually ended up doing is super rough sketching the top down footprint and a rough idea from the front and the end which were primary viewing angles.

Once I had refined it in paper once, I took to paint sticks on the glass. Figuring out and dimensions that look best from how far I would be viewing it from.

At the end of that you get to use the rock and let it become what it is, while having worked things out in real size.

For me, bigger complex projects can be broken down into smaller simpler sub parts. Understanding what general form I wanted that met the inhabitant needs now and later, was a big relief. At that point we could move to the rock and let that part come to life.

Before we got the rock into the same room as the tank, Jason and I transferred a lot of details onto the glass for building the escape.

It was the best one that I think is possible in this tank. Unfortunately it had to be torn apart to get all the fish out, but that first one was killer!! I'm still using the same footprint and dimensions that I originally sketched out.

TLDR Doing a little bit of planning beforehand. Will make the aquascape build easier and better for your current and future needs.
How come your TLDR recap was so long. Can you redo it in six words or less?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First draw paper, paper, glass happier

And its defense. It was one run on sentence.
I don't like having to read all the way to the bottom to get to the TLDR section.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't like having to read all the way to the bottom to get to the TLDR section.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
TLDR Sam Still Sucks.

personal GIF

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR Sam Still Sucks.

I'll probably just wing it and then stare at for awhile before I start adding livestock. It will probably be broken in smaller projects since I already have some rock I plan on using but it wont be enough to complete the whole tank.... now if only I had a list to move to the next phase.... :thinking-face: :thinking-face:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight during a overdue routine maintenance of the evo.. I discovered that the return pump has only been trickling out due to clogged mesh filter in the return pump. Because I never plugged the small hole in the 2nd chamber… this allowed this to go unnoticed for I’m not sure how long. I used to have the return above the water level to create more surface agitation but several weeks ago i changed it to sit below the the water level, to point more into the tank, to create more flow in an area. Previously I would have noticed this decrease in flow, but since I changed it, it was undetected. So it has not been pulling
Much water through the filtration. Posting for other that might be running the same set up.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight during a overdue routine maintenance of the evo.. I discovered that the return pump has only been trickling out due to clogged mesh filter in the return pump. Because I never plugged the small hole in the 2nd chamber… this allowed this to go unnoticed for I’m not sure how long. I used to have the return above the water level to create more surface agitation but several weeks ago i changed it to sit below the the water level, to point more into the tank, to create more flow in an area. Previously I would have noticed this decrease in flow, but since I changed it, it was undetected. So it has not been pulling
Much water through the filtration. Posting for other that might be running the same set up.
I'll check mine tomorrow, I haven't done anything to it since setting it up....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back