Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have a BioCube 32.

I upgraded my return pump to a DCP-2500. I’m running it at the lowest setting the controller will allow.

mom getting pretty solid flow around the tank, return is pointed up and straight out.

Do I need to add a powerhead? I feel like it is going to blast my fish and corals if I add more flow

thanks!
Shaggy

C90FF836-D253-46DE-ACEC-35B610BCB867.jpeg

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I added a hydor pump to my biocube when I started to notice the dead spots where the detritus would build up. Then as I added more coral and the tank started to fill out I removed the hydor and went with a mp10. I currently run the mp10 on 60%. Everything gets great flow and is doing fine.

OP
OP
Shaggymv

Shaggymv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a hydor pump to my biocube when I started to notice the dead spots where the detritus would build up. Then as I added more coral and the tank started to fill out I removed the hydor and went with a mp10. I currently run the mp10 on 60%. Everything gets great flow and is doing fine.
That’s in addition to the return pump or replacing the return pump?

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No that's also with my upgraded return pump. My return pump flow was great but I had a few dead spots. Once I would adjust to get flow to those spots I would gain another dead spot somewhere else. The wave pump helped provide flow to the areas that the return pump couldn't reach.

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was using a Hydor wave pump. I want to say it was a 420 gph or something like that. It was like $35

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With flow it isn't always only about the raw GPH turnover rate. Oftentimes when you only have the return pump, you tend to get only circular "race track" current thats bound to get dead spots based on your rock work. When you add a second powerhead, its less about adding more GPH but more than you are introducing a second counter-current that generally adds more randomness to your flow.

A small hydor should work.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back