Biocube hood removal..

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on the fence of removing my biocube hood to add a better light. My only concern is the noise from the back filtration area.. has anyone done this and successfully enclosed the back area off??

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What light do you have in there currently and what would you be switching to? I don't think the noise is too bad, but different people probably have different tolerance for that

OP
OP
Parent_usmc

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock lighting. Was thinking about adding a red sea 50 , would need to remove hood of course and probably do an ato

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on the fence of removing my biocube hood to add a better light. My only concern is the noise from the back filtration area.. has anyone done this and successfully enclosed the back area off??
I run aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer , intank media basket and sicce syncra 1.5 . All of them are pretty silent. You can turn of the skimmer if the minimal humming noise is of concern

OP
OP
Parent_usmc

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer , intank media basket and sicce syncra 1.5 . All of them are pretty silent. You can turn of the skimmer if the minimal humming noise is of concern
Do you have any pictures?

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to do the same thing to a RSM 130D my new light s/b arriving today and I have no idea how I'm going to pull hood off.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon BioCube. I took the hood off a long time ago. The sound from the back is negligible. Make sure you have an ato. Evaporation with increase exponentially. My house is 76 degrees and I go through 5 gallons every two weeks. When it was in my classroom it was 5 gallons a week.

57072DBC-FE2E-455D-8545-D42F88CD90D5.jpeg

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out an AI Prime or Kessil a160we. I prefer kessil. My BioCube has an a80 on it. Read about the Red Sea lights. I’ve read so-so things.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running Steves Turbo LEDs on mine, I bought my tank used and it came with it but they are pretty nice compared to the stock version. If lighting is the only change I'd take a look at it. Definitely get an ATO as well, that was one of my first purchases for my tank. Anything to maintain stability has been my goal. Looking forward to how your tank comes out though, as I'm always looking at ways to make my Biocube better.

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running Steves Turbo LEDs on mine, I bought my tank used and it came with it but they are pretty nice compared to the stock version. If lighting is the only change I'd take a look at it. Definitely get an ATO as well, that was one of my first purchases for my tank. Anything to maintain stability has been my goal. Looking forward to how your tank comes out though, as I'm always looking at ways to make my Biocube better.
I just ordered the Red Sea REEFLED 50. Do you think this is a good fit? A good friend suggested to me.

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to just wait, going to upgrade tank in fall to a red sea 250 . Lol!
I was thinking about doing that as well!!! The question is I’ve had my biocube for about 3 months now and I want to know if it’s the right move or not...

OP
OP
Parent_usmc

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on 7 months, I absolutely love the cube but I've already ' outgrown it. I want more coral and bigger fish

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on 7 months, I absolutely love the cube but I've already ' outgrown it. I want more coral and bigger fish
I think I'm in the same boat as you with this, I just dont know if I want to deal with 10 gallon water changes constantly vs the 3-5 gallon I do with my biocube. Also, managing the tank is fairly simple in regards to removing things I dont want. I have a feeling the larger it gets the harder that gets.

OP
OP
Parent_usmc

Parent_usmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd already would have bought the tank however the wife lost her job last month so its on hold

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back