Biocube leveling

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my last biocube cracked. I think it was because the tank wasn’t level. I set the new one up and the stand was level before I put the tank on. It’s on hardwood. I leveled the stand using plastic shims. The tank is now 1/8” out of level diagonally. Should I be worried about it cracking again?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yes i would try to get as true level as possible:)

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,yes i would try to get as true level as possible:)
I’m not even sure if it’s out of level to be honest. The water level is the same all the way across the tank. I’m using a 3’ level to measure a tank that is much shorter than 3ft. Do you think it’s possible that it’s just the level im using? I’ve dropped this dag on this numerous times.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you measure from the rim of the tank down to the waterline? I think if it is the same measurement all the way around then you are level! Could certainly be a bad level you are using.. but if that's the case then how did you level the stand before putting the tank on it?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a few ideas into you other post. One thing you can also do is to measure from the bottom glass to the water line. Like the inside of the tank bottom to the water line. Again, biocubes have an issue with the top plastic trim not being all the way down and even with the glass. Mass production and random silicone thickness in between the trim and glass is usually the reason.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you measure from the rim of the tank down to the waterline? I think if it is the same measurement all the way around then you are level! Could certainly be a bad level you are using.. but if that's the case then how did you level the stand before putting the tank on it?
I don’t think my level is off after checking it I think it’s something to do with the plastic rim on the biocube and the fact that I’m using a level that’s three times as long as needed. The water level looks the same all the way around to me but I plan to measure tomorrow. I will say before the leveling operations this stand had a HUGE wobble that I have 0 idea how I missed with my first tank and it lasted 6 months. If that thing can hold on that long with it being as off level as it was before I believe I’m ok this time.

Kaaaarrrll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my level is off after checking it I think it’s something to do with the plastic rim on the biocube and the fact that I’m using a level that’s three times as long as needed. The water level looks the same all the way around to me but I plan to measure tomorrow. I will say before the leveling operations this stand had a HUGE wobble that I have 0 idea how I missed with my first tank and it lasted 6 months. If that thing can hold on that long with it being as off level as it was before I believe I’m ok this time.

When leveling my tank I found that i couldn't sit a level on the rim because all the panels varied in height slightly which put the level off. I would get a smaller level and sit it directly inside and on the bottom glass to work out if your tank is truly level.

Rip2131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my last biocube cracked. I think it was because the tank wasn’t level. I set the new one up and the stand was level before I put the tank on. It’s on hardwood. I leveled the stand using plastic shims. The tank is now 1/8” out of level diagonally. Should I be worried about it cracking again?
Mine was off a hair, and I never had any issues. I'm not a pro though!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back