Biocube rimless risky?

Garrett3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating making my 16g Biocube rimless.. looks great obviously but have heard horror stories of people doing it and coming home to water all over the floor. Can anyone shed some light/experience on this? Opinions?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the rims off a tank is risky, it could cause some issues with the caulking. Usually the rims are installed for a reason. Rimless tanks usually have thicker glass to help with the stress of the water pressure.

How thick is the glass on the 16 gallon? How good are you with caulking repair? What are the dimensions of the tank (i.e. shorter is less risky thank taller IMO)?

Also, small tanks like that are fairly inexpensive, have you considered replacing your rimmed with an off-the-shelf rimless?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling the rims off a tank is risky, it could cause some issues with the caulking. Usually the rims are installed for a reason. Rimless tanks usually have thicker glass to help with the stress of the water pressure.

How thick is the glass on the 16 gallon? How good are you with caulking repair? What are the dimensions of the tank (i.e. shorter is less risky thank taller IMO)?

Also, small tanks like that are fairly inexpensive, have you considered replacing your rimmed with an off-the-shelf rimless?

Biocubes are acrylic.

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are glass and I wouldn’t remove the top. I know the glass on my 29 is thin. I wouldn’t chance it. They do look cool without the rim but one wrong bump...

OP
OP
Garrett3

Garrett3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is glass and seems pretty thick. I’ve seen people doing it but I got my answer, if it affects the integrity I will hold off ☹️

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back