Biocube rimless risky?

Garrett3

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2018
Messages
29
Reaction score
17
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating making my 16g Biocube rimless.. looks great obviously but have heard horror stories of people doing it and coming home to water all over the floor. Can anyone shed some light/experience on this? Opinions?
 
Pulling the rims off a tank is risky, it could cause some issues with the caulking. Usually the rims are installed for a reason. Rimless tanks usually have thicker glass to help with the stress of the water pressure.

How thick is the glass on the 16 gallon? How good are you with caulking repair? What are the dimensions of the tank (i.e. shorter is less risky thank taller IMO)?

Also, small tanks like that are fairly inexpensive, have you considered replacing your rimmed with an off-the-shelf rimless?
 
Pulling the rims off a tank is risky, it could cause some issues with the caulking. Usually the rims are installed for a reason. Rimless tanks usually have thicker glass to help with the stress of the water pressure.

How thick is the glass on the 16 gallon? How good are you with caulking repair? What are the dimensions of the tank (i.e. shorter is less risky thank taller IMO)?

Also, small tanks like that are fairly inexpensive, have you considered replacing your rimmed with an off-the-shelf rimless?

Biocubes are acrylic.
 
They are glass and I wouldn’t remove the top. I know the glass on my 29 is thin. I wouldn’t chance it. They do look cool without the rim but one wrong bump...
 
They are glass and I wouldn’t remove the top. I know the glass on my 29 is thin. I wouldn’t chance it. They do look cool without the rim but one wrong bump...
Huh, I was told they are acrylic... that's odd.
 
Yes it is glass and seems pretty thick. I’ve seen people doing it but I got my answer, if it affects the integrity I will hold off ☹️
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new