Biocube setup of back chambers, HELP

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 32 gallon biocube. It has been running for about a month. it has been working through its first cycle. I used to have a 200 gallon and 120 gallon tank years ago. I had refugium for both underneath in the stand. A lot has changed and this is a much smaller tank. I need help with how to set up my chambers in the back. (see pictures for what I have now).

Current:
Chamber 1 Pump, heater, media reactor. Chamber 2 stock shelf - bottom bioballs - middle fabric filter, top nothing as of yet. Chamber 3 open at the moment
IMG_3880.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg

Any recommendations on what to put in the chambers and how to set up or DIY them.

IMG_3879.JPG

Last edited:

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 32 gallon biocube. It has been running for about a month. it has been working through its first cycle. I used to have a 200 gallon and 120 gallon tank years ago. I had refugium for both underneath in the stand. I am concerned that over time I will have issues with such a small tank and not having a refugium to help cycle out the Nitrates and other unwanteds.

Is it a thing to have a separate "refugium tank" that I can use to cycle water change water to and take the cycled water out of the "refugium"?

IMG_3879.JPG
People turn the big middle chamber into a refugium. I had the original oceanic 29 and I never wanted the hassle of another tank connected to it. Check this out

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked running chaeto in the 1st chamber with a similar light above.
It acted as a mechanical filter as well because it would grow so thick it would trap big pieces of detritus :)

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lol

OP
OP
wince718

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People turn the big middle chamber into a refugium. I had the original oceanic 29 and I never wanted the hassle of another tank connected to it. Check this out
Any thoughts on the 9w or 18? I guess I am really open to how to setup. Right now I have the pump, heater, and media reactor in the left chamber ( not sure if that's chamber 1 or 3 haha). In the middle, I would think to run the chaeto refugium. Should I use that whole chamber for that, if not thoughts? I know some use algae scrubbers for ease, I see some DIY videos but not sure. Also, what would I use for the right chamber? Lastly, do I need any filter media, or a spot for Chemi pure blue.... sorry really a newbie, a lot has changed.

There is so much info out there, I love to research but sometimes I get too much info and it gets the best of me!!!

OP
OP
wince718

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 6w
It acted as a mechanical filter as well because it would grow so thick it would trap big pieces of detritus :)

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lo

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lol
I would suspect the lower wattage light will be just fine as it will be pressed against the glass
Thanks, any pics for visual reference

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back