Biocube setup of back chambers, HELP

  • Thread starter Thread starter wince718
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

wince718

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
3
Location
Moline
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 32 gallon biocube. It has been running for about a month. it has been working through its first cycle. I used to have a 200 gallon and 120 gallon tank years ago. I had refugium for both underneath in the stand. A lot has changed and this is a much smaller tank. I need help with how to set up my chambers in the back. (see pictures for what I have now).

Current:
Chamber 1 Pump, heater, media reactor. Chamber 2 stock shelf - bottom bioballs - middle fabric filter, top nothing as of yet. Chamber 3 open at the moment
IMG_3880.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg
.

Any recommendations on what to put in the chambers and how to set up or DIY them.

IMG_3879.JPG
 
Last edited:
I am starting a 32 gallon biocube. It has been running for about a month. it has been working through its first cycle. I used to have a 200 gallon and 120 gallon tank years ago. I had refugium for both underneath in the stand. I am concerned that over time I will have issues with such a small tank and not having a refugium to help cycle out the Nitrates and other unwanteds.

Is it a thing to have a separate "refugium tank" that I can use to cycle water change water to and take the cycled water out of the "refugium"?

IMG_3879.JPG
People turn the big middle chamber into a refugium. I had the original oceanic 29 and I never wanted the hassle of another tank connected to it. Check this out
Amazon product ASIN B07WTQ8CHD
 
I liked running chaeto in the 1st chamber with a similar light above.
It acted as a mechanical filter as well because it would grow so thick it would trap big pieces of detritus :)

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lol
 
People turn the big middle chamber into a refugium. I had the original oceanic 29 and I never wanted the hassle of another tank connected to it. Check this out
Any thoughts on the 9w or 18? I guess I am really open to how to setup. Right now I have the pump, heater, and media reactor in the left chamber ( not sure if that's chamber 1 or 3 haha). In the middle, I would think to run the chaeto refugium. Should I use that whole chamber for that, if not thoughts? I know some use algae scrubbers for ease, I see some DIY videos but not sure. Also, what would I use for the right chamber? Lastly, do I need any filter media, or a spot for Chemi pure blue.... sorry really a newbie, a lot has changed.

There is so much info out there, I love to research but sometimes I get too much info and it gets the best of me!!!
 
I only would run chemipure if needed....
A sponge was always nice but i had the water overflowing onto the chaeto first.
 
I used a 6w
I liked running chaeto in the 1st chamber with a similar light above.
It acted as a mechanical filter as well because it would grow so thick it would trap big pieces of detritus :)

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lo
I liked running chaeto in the 1st chamber with a similar light above.
It acted as a mechanical filter as well because it would grow so thick it would trap big pieces of detritus :)

Grew chaeto better than any other tanks i had with a fuge in the sump lol
.
I would suspect the lower wattage light will be just fine as it will be pressed against the glass
Thanks, any pics for visual reference
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new