Biocube Taken Over By Algae!!

freddiefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 gal Biocube has been taken over by algae! Any tips on what I can do to get rid of it! I have some phospate remover in the basket, but it doesnt appear to be helping much. Have you had this problem? How did you solve it!?

Algae2.jpeg
Algae1.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 gal Biocube has been taken over by algae! Any tips on what I can do to get rid of it! I have some phospate remover in the basket, but it doesnt appear to be helping much. Have you had this problem? How did you solve it!?

Algae2.jpeg
Algae1.jpeg
manually get in there and start pulling that out before it smothers things. Can also pull out rock, scrub with toothbrush, rinse and replace. I used Vibrant for green hair algae (post #1 in below):

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say without a close-up shot, but that looks like it might be bryopsis to me. Does the algae kind of "root" in the rocks, and are the individual strands somewhat feathery in appearance?

What is your clean-up crew for the Biocube?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae2.jpeg
Algae1.jpeg
eek - I also had bryopsis that I cleared up with weeks of Reef Flux which is an antifungal medication that works on bryopsis algae. My shrimp and everything were fine with Reef Flux, though not my yellow tang - yellow tang got an unplanned vacation into QT while main tank went thru treatment

OP
OP
F

freddiefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say without a close-up shot, but that looks like it might be bryopsis to me. Does the algae kind of "root" in the rocks, and are the individual strands somewhat feathery in appearance?

What is your clean-up crew for the Biocube?
Astera snails and hermit crabs.

OP
OP
F

freddiefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manually get in there and start pulling that out before it smothers things. Can also pull out rock, scrub with toothbrush, rinse and replace. I used Vibrant for green hair algae (post #1 in below):

OP
OP
F

freddiefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eek - I also had bryopsis that I cleared up with weeks of Reef Flux which is an antifungal medication that works on bryopsis algae. My shrimp and everything were fine with Reef Flux, though not my yellow tang - yellow tang got an unplanned vacation into QT while main tank went thru treatment
I will look into Reef Flux.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails for hair algae huh.
I had a biocube that my clowns breed in and I didn’t do much maintenance on it, it was cover in green hair, turf algae, and bryopsis And I mean COVERED! I trimmed as much as I could added the 10 turbo snails and they wiped it all out in about 4 weeks. It is algae free now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back