Biocube Tips/Advice

Garrett3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Fairly new to saltwater and am seeking general advice/tips from anyone. This includes the algae blooms I’m getting 2 months in, modifications, etc. My first main question is regarding light.. although I have the LED fixture that comes stock I am aware it is not the best by any means. I’m currently stuck between the AI prime HD or the Kessil 160. If anyone has any suggestions on maintenance or other suggested upgrades I am all ears and greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
(Have already removed chamber 1 false floor for heater, and installed a jebao sw2)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I just started a 32 biocube although mostly using old rocks from my main tank.

Algae blooms are very common for new tanks and can take months to resolve. Even though I’m using well established rocks I got diatoms on sand and glass. Generally takes between a few weeks to a few months to get all that stuff sorted out. There are a few more annoying types of algae that may cause issues.

What does the algae you have look like?

As for lights, really depends what you intend to keep in the tank. If soft corals and lps, then likely the stock light is sufficient. If you want to go the sps route (and you should likely wait a few months before adding sps), then you should upgrade. I was debating between a kessil and ai prime and decided to go with ai prime mostly because I got a good deal from a local store and wanted to somewhat keep on the lower budget with this tank.

You may consider a skimmer like Tunze Comline, note that for almost any skimmer you’ll have to make some adjustments to the back to fit it. I’ve decided to go with water changes for nutrient export for now but likely gonna get a skimmer soon. Also, In Tank makes much better media baskets for the biocube which also allow to have enough room for a skimmer.

Most people seem to run chemipure blue, phosguard and filter floss. I had some extra from an old QT tank so put it in, but otherwise plan to just run BRS Rox carbon. The best advice I can give in this hobby is to be very patient and make sure to allow ample time for almost anything and never make sudden changes unless it’s an emergency to save your livestock.

OP
OP
Garrett3

Garrett3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I just started a 32 biocube although mostly using old rocks from my main tank.

Algae blooms are very common for new tanks and can take months to resolve. Even though I’m using well established rocks I got diatoms on sand and glass. Generally takes between a few weeks to a few months to get all that stuff sorted out. There are a few more annoying types of algae that may cause issues.

What does the algae you have look like?

As for lights, really depends what you intend to keep in the tank. If soft corals and lps, then likely the stock light is sufficient. If you want to go the sps route (and you should likely wait a few months before adding sps), then you should upgrade. I was debating between a kessil and ai prime and decided to go with ai prime mostly because I got a good deal from a local store and wanted to somewhat keep on the lower budget with this tank.

You may consider a skimmer like Tunze Comline, note that for almost any skimmer you’ll have to make some adjustments to the back to fit it. I’ve decided to go with water changes for nutrient export for now but likely gonna get a skimmer soon. Also, In Tank makes much better media baskets for the biocube which also allow to have enough room for a skimmer.

Most people seem to run chemipure blue, phosguard and filter floss. I had some extra from an old QT tank so put it in, but otherwise plan to just run BRS Rox carbon. The best advice I can give in this hobby is to be very patient and make sure to allow ample time for almost anything and never make sudden changes unless it’s an emergency to save your livestock.
Awesome thank you for your response. I went through the brown diatom bloom and now have cyano I believe? Purple string/hairlike algae that also mats on the sand, and this lettuce looking green algae that grows in random small spots. I also don’t plan on adding SPS for quite some time but I do want quicker coral growth as well as color enhancement. I have also been investigating skimmers but for a 16 gallon I believe regular water changes shall suffice for now. For media, I’m intrigued by the chemipure blue or elite (not sure what the difference is) but wonder if it makes that big of a difference for another pricey thing to change. I currently run filter floss in the media basket.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a search for cyano on the forum you’ll get a pretty good sense, or post a pic. But sounds like it is based o)the color. Cyano generally thrives when there’s a nitrate and phosphate imbalance. If you have a test kit you can check, but in a new tank those “rules”may not apply.

Lettuce looking algae could be ulva lactuca, or another from the ulvaceae family. It grows very fast and can be annoying but it’s harmless, I recently added it to my algae reactor and it’s been doing a better job than cheato for sucking up nutrients.

Agree on the skimmer a smallish water change should be more than enough as long as you do regularly.

Chemipure blue is basically a mix of carbon and some resin. They make a lot of claims but carbon is there to clarify water and remove some toxins, not necessary for success but can help keep water clear. Not sure what the resin does or what kind it is...

I think running carbon alone is prob enough and for a tank that size a little will go a long way, it will help eliminate the greenish hue some tanks get...chemipure elite mixes up ferric oxide which will remove phosphates and silicates (may help reduce diatoms).

Usually keeping it simple is the best way to go as long as things are looking good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back