Biophilia's 10 gallon mixed reef

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to making a build thread for my main tank (an IM Nuvo 10 set up as a mixed reef). The tank is about 1 1/2 years old now so better late than never!

Living in a small apartment with my fiance and two dogs doesn't leave a lot of room for a proper reef tank -- so my main goal with this system has been to keep a little bit of everything in a tiny footprint. In practice, this has meant continually tip-toeing the line between a healthy and dynamic coral community and all-out nematocyst-fueled chemical warfare.

Here's where my little 12" cube stands today:

fts_1-16-19.jpg

Inhabitants:
  • ORA Snowflake clown
  • Pajama cardinal
  • Royal gramma
  • Porcelain crab
  • 2x sexy shrimp
  • Lots of hermits, trochus snails, astraea snails, and micro-herbivores doin' their part to keep the algae at bay

Equipment:
  • Two AI Primes (one HD, one non-HD) staggered, angled inward, and running at half power to eliminate hot spots and the shading issues that come with point-source lighting
  • Jebao DP-4 doser (fully saturated kalkwasser, vinegar, and sodium silica dosed via one head, B-Ionic two part diluted and dosed via heads two and three. Hourly dosing to deal with the ~3DKH/day alk draw of the system without swings)
  • Inkbird temp controller connected to a heater and a desk fan
  • IM Desktop Ghost skimmer
  • IM media caddy w/ filter floss, ChemiPure Blue nano carbon, and Siporax
  • Smart ATO micro
  • Aqamai KPS wavemaker
  • stock return pump connected to a UPS battery backup

Maintenance:
  • 2 gallon weekly water changes (Red Sea blue bucket w/ Mg boosted up to 1400 ppm)
  • lanthanum chloride drip as needed for PO4
  • swap the filter floss every few days and bag of carbon twice per month
  • test alk every two or three days (Salifert)
  • test Mg, Ca, NO3, PO4 when I finally become too racked with guilt for being lazy about it (once every couple months... maybe...)
  • I'm constantly fragging things and shuffling stuff around to keep aggressive corals from overtaking others. I inject the perimeter of the ricordia garden with vinegar in a hypodermic needle to keep it contained. The Stylophora and Seriatopora grow fast and need lots of clipping to avoid shading the corals underneath as well.
Feeding:
I feed a lot. Two or three times per day. Usually pellets in the morning and frozen mysis, frozen cyclops, roti-feast, oyster-feast, phyto-feast, 24-48 hour artemia, and Reef Roids in the evening. I broadcast feed in general, but also target feed mysis to the tubastraea and dendrophyllia)

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks beautiful!

Very nice indeed and great write up

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Finally buckled down and chopped up about 1/3 of the Stylophora colony because it was taking up so much real estate and beginning to kill some of the corals below it due to shading. Would have liked to frag more, but wanted to give the corals below it a chance to acclimate to the light a little more slowly.

I've been adding some more stony corals up top since then and so far so good!

fts_2-12-19.jpg

Scwahl44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that is an awesome tank, I hope that I can have something small like that in my room one day, yours is awesome and definitely something I would strive for

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately I moved about 7months ago and decided to break down and sell the tank since it had become pretty cramped in there anyway. Hoping to do a slightly larger nano soon (20-40 gallon range), though it'll likely be an NPS-only tank.

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to making a build thread for my main tank (an IM Nuvo 10 set up as a mixed reef). The tank is about 1 1/2 years old now so better late than never!

Living in a small apartment with my fiance and two dogs doesn't leave a lot of room for a proper reef tank -- so my main goal with this system has been to keep a little bit of everything in a tiny footprint. In practice, this has meant continually tip-toeing the line between a healthy and dynamic coral community and all-out nematocyst-fueled chemical warfare.

Here's where my little 12" cube stands today:

fts_1-16-19.jpg

Inhabitants:
  • ORA Snowflake clown
  • Pajama cardinal
  • Royal gramma
  • Porcelain crab
  • 2x sexy shrimp
  • Lots of hermits, trochus snails, astraea snails, and micro-herbivores doin' their part to keep the algae at bay

Equipment:
  • Two AI Primes (one HD, one non-HD) staggered, angled inward, and running at half power to eliminate hot spots and the shading issues that come with point-source lighting
  • Jebao DP-4 doser (fully saturated kalkwasser, vinegar, and sodium silica dosed via one head, B-Ionic two part diluted and dosed via heads two and three. Hourly dosing to deal with the ~3DKH/day alk draw of the system without swings)
  • Inkbird temp controller connected to a heater and a desk fan
  • IM Desktop Ghost skimmer
  • IM media caddy w/ filter floss, ChemiPure Blue nano carbon, and Siporax
  • Smart ATO micro
  • Aqamai KPS wavemaker
  • stock return pump connected to a UPS battery backup

Maintenance:
  • 2 gallon weekly water changes (Red Sea blue bucket w/ Mg boosted up to 1400 ppm)
  • lanthanum chloride drip as needed for PO4
  • swap the filter floss every few days and bag of carbon twice per month
  • test alk every two or three days (Salifert)
  • test Mg, Ca, NO3, PO4 when I finally become too racked with guilt for being lazy about it (once every couple months... maybe...)
  • I'm constantly fragging things and shuffling stuff around to keep aggressive corals from overtaking others. I inject the perimeter of the ricordia garden with vinegar in a hypodermic needle to keep it contained. The Stylophora and Seriatopora grow fast and need lots of clipping to avoid shading the corals underneath as well.
Feeding:
I feed a lot. Two or three times per day. Usually pellets in the morning and frozen mysis, frozen cyclops, roti-feast, oyster-feast, phyto-feast, 24-48 hour artemia, and Reef Roids in the evening. I broadcast feed in general, but also target feed mysis to the tubastraea and dendrophyllia)
What a Rockin’ Build!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I moved about 7months ago and decided to break down and sell the tank since it had become pretty cramped in there anyway. Hoping to do a slightly larger nano soon (20-40 gallon range), though it'll likely be an NPS-only tank.

Good luck on a future build. Your nano was one of my favorites!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back