Biota Aiptasia Eating Filefish

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a minor (so far) outbreak of Aptasia. I've tried manual removal with Aptasia-X, super glue, and epoxy. It's hit or miss as I'm sure most of you know.

I purchased a Biota Aiptasia Eating Filefish from Live Aquaria hoping it might help; even if it just maintains the population at the current low-level. It was smaller than a quarter when we got it; pretty cute too.

We've had it for about two weeks now and I've not noticed it anywhere near the Aptasia. Part of me is wondering if it's because it's so small; a couple of these Aptasia when sticking out of the rocks/spread out are bigger than the Filefish.

It is definitely eating. When I go up to the tank it joins the other tank mates chasing after the food. I was surprised how quickly it could swim given it's crazy looking fin configuration.

So far, knock on wood, I've not see it going after any corals or snails.

Any suggestions/experience on how to get it to start eating the "right" stuff? :)

I've read a number of other threads here on R2R, and I know like most things with fish it's dependent upon the fish itself.

Thanks in advance!

U

User1

View Badges
So here is my experience. They sell two different ones so hopefully you got the Acreichthys tomentosus-Matted filefish. I'm sure you probably did but the other one is the radial. Anyway I ordered my biota from Pacific East Aquaculture and as you described I'd say it wasn't bigger than a quarter either. In fact I'd say a nickel was pushing it. Anyway I placed it in my display tank which is a 210 gallon and it was too fast for it and down the over flow it went and into the sump. E ticket ride at Disneyland for those of you who remember.

Anyway 3 pumps working against it I removed it and tried again. Same thing. Maybe it likes Disneyland rides, I don't know. Tried one more time but this time putting nets over the plumbing and this time it was stuck on the net and would have died had I not removed it. This wasn't working so I grabbed a older 5 gallon tall tank I had, did a quick water changed, used the old water from the display, threw in a rock, substrate, and Kenya tree frag and called it its new home. Good enough.

It stayed in here for about a month. During this time it pretty much age everything. The test now was to take a piece of rubble from my overflow box that has aiptasia on it and place it in the tank it is in. Sure enough I'd say within a couple days it was gone. It picked at it over time so I know it was doing what it was supposed to do - or what is natural. The key I found is when they are small they only eat the spores or smaller new buds of them and will not go after the larger ones.

Later on I moved it to the display and it was fine this go around. No rides. Most of my Aiptasia is in the plumbing, sump, overflow box, and a few larger pieces around the display. It worked those over and kept them in check. It didn't remove them 100% probably because it can't. I have Pukani rock and it is very porous so the Aiptasia can really take a foot hold so far that it can't get it. But it manages the base.

That is the good. Here is the bad:

1. Picked at Xenia
2. Removed all of my Duncan corals' wavy arms - left it a stub
3. Eats Zoas
4. Ate my Frogspawn frag (this was the straw that broke the camels back)

1 through 3 above was more or less an acceptable by product of the fish. I figured if it kept the Aiptasia in check with just this I could live with it. I introduced a new frogspawn frag and it was smaller than what I expected. Anyway about 10 minutes after adding it the silly fish went right after it, grabbed it, and ripped off a sizeable chunk from it. I thought maybe shipping was too much for it but nope, it was the fish. I had placed my gopro on it to watch the new frag since I wasn't sure. Going back through and there it was.

So tl; dr - they work. Will start with the smaller ones first and spores / new sprouts. Be careful around lps and zoas.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I placed it in my display tank which is a 210 gallon and it was too fast for it and down the over flow it went and into the sump. E ticket ride at Disneyland for those of you who remember.

I was very worried about the flow being too much. I have two Jebao Gyres, one on each end of a 5ft tank. I turned them down to the lowest setting and I'm slowly moving them back up.

The test now was to take a piece of rubble from my overflow box that has aiptasia on it and place it in the tank it is in. Sure enough I'd say within a couple days it was gone. It picked at it over time so I know it was doing what it was supposed to do - or what is natural. The key I found is when they are small they only eat the spores or smaller new buds of them and will not go after the larger ones.

Yeah, like I figured... size might be an issue; for the filefish and the aptasia.

Tonight my son and I went through the tank with a flash light; we found about 10 aptasia so we hit them with Aptasia-X. Then I went through again and found another 10+. There are 3-4 that I can see that I can't get to without pulling a lot of rock.

That is the good. Here is the bad:

1. Picked at Xenia
2. Removed all of my Duncan corals' wavy arms - left it a stub
3. Eats Zoas
4. Ate my Frogspawn frag (this was the straw that broke the camels back)

I don't have Xenia, but I do have other GSP/Cloves/etc.

When you listed Dunans it made me wonder. I have a teal duncan that was doing great, even starting a second baby head. The last week or so though it's all closed up. I thought it was the change in location or flow; maybe it is, but I'm wary of the filefish now.

Will have to keep my eye on it, and my 10+ head duncan.

So tl; dr - they work. Will start with the smaller ones first and spores / new sprouts. Be careful around lps and zoas.

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe I'll break out the GoPro and set it up to see if I can catch something.

U

User1

View Badges
I was very worried about the flow being too much. I have two Jebao Gyres, one on each end of a 5ft tank. I turned them down to the lowest setting and I'm slowly moving them back up.

Yeah, like I figured... size might be an issue; for the filefish and the aptasia.

Tonight my son and I went through the tank with a flash light; we found about 10 aptasia so we hit them with Aptasia-X. Then I went through again and found another 10+. There are 3-4 that I can see that I can't get to without pulling a lot of rock.

I don't have Xenia, but I do have other GSP/Cloves/etc.

When you listed Dunans it made me wonder. I have a teal duncan that was doing great, even starting a second baby head. The last week or so though it's all closed up. I thought it was the change in location or flow; maybe it is, but I'm wary of the filefish now.

Will have to keep my eye on it, and my 10+ head duncan.

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe I'll break out the GoPro and set it up to see if I can catch something.

You are welcome. Sorry for the wall of text. It was a really neat fish to watch and grow. I only recently returned it to the LFS due to it almost killing the new frogspawn frag. The Duncan was still growing but minus the tentacle / arms. It will be interesting to see if it recovers. The frogspawn already is which is good.

I do think the size of the aiptasia plays a roll. That along with location and its foot hold it is attached to. My children bought me a copperband butterfly fish for my birthday and sometimes they eat aiptasia. So for now I hope it will manage. I do not like peppermint shrimp as they are opportunistic feeds and previous ones I've owned didn't mind stealing from from LPS corals I'd feed.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back