Biota Coral Beauty White Fuzzy Stuff?

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this coral beauty from biota on the 6th. I did not quarantine it, looking back probably a mistake. I noticed a small white spot near its gills shortly after adding it and thought maybe it had caught itself on a rock. But today it looks like this. Fish seems to be eating well, swimming. Sorry for the cloudy water I hard to move a lot of rocks to catch the lil guy. Any ideas what this is and how to treat?

536DCC7B-D7D2-4242-B40D-A75A48208584.jpeg
6B988703-27E8-4123-9778-8CE52F6A03F9.jpeg
9A2A69A8-433F-4547-AEAB-CB2AAF7B07D7.png
414B36F6-2B60-44B0-BBF4-A2DBC294327F.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to make out perfectly, but a bacterial infection is possible after having been injured. I would try treating in a qt with kanaplex.
Angels also can be susceptible to lymphocytosis but that wouldn’t really look like this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had bought it straight from Biota, I wouldn't have quarantined it either, but my understanding is that Biota recommends holding their fish in isolation for a few weeks to help with the long term acclimation process.

This doesn't look like Lymphocystis to me either. I agree, treating it with Kanaplex or Neoplex in a treatment tank is the best course of action.

Jay

OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had bought it straight from Biota, I wouldn't have quarantined it either, but my understanding is that Biota recommends holding their fish in isolation for a few weeks to help with the long term acclimation process.

This doesn't look like Lymphocystis to me either. I agree, treating it with Kanaplex or Neoplex in a treatment tank is the best course of action.

Jay
I did buy it straight from biota and originally had it in an acclimation box for about a day. It was eating well and there’s no aggressive fish in the tank so it seemed ok to let it out.

Thank you. I will try Kanaplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy it straight from biota and originally had it in an acclimation box for about a day. It was eating well and there’s no aggressive fish in the tank so it seemed ok to let it out.

Thank you. I will try Kanaplex.

Could it have freaked out inside the acclimation box? In some of those, the slots have kind of sharp edges, maybe it got injured?

Jay

OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have freaked out inside the acclimation box? In some of those, the slots have kind of sharp edges, maybe it got injured?

Jay
I initially covered the inside of the acclimation box with some netting held by zip ties because I was actually concerned it was so tiny it may be able to slip through the slats.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially covered the inside of the acclimation box with some netting held by zip ties because I was actually concerned it was so tiny it may be able to slip through the slats.
OK, zip ties can be sharp also.

What I’m leaning towards is that localized bacterial infections almost always get their start with some injury.

Jay

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TinyReef. Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this but I agree with the above assessment. It didn't look like much of Lymph to me and likely a scrape. These guys are pretty hardy so if you don't see it progress it should recover on its own. I would offer some grazing material like masstick so they recover a bit quicker.

If it begins to progress I would suggest some antibiotics mentioned above.

OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TinyReef. Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this but I agree with the above assessment. It didn't look like much of Lymph to me and likely a scrape. These guys are pretty hardy so if you don't see it progress it should recover on its own. I would offer some grazing material like masstick so they recover a bit quicker.

If it begins to progress I would suggest some antibiotics mentioned above.
Unfortunately when I moved it to QT it stopped eating, including masstick. Just started antibiotics today as it is not looking better. Any suggestions on getting it to eat?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately when I moved it to QT it stopped eating, including masstick. Just started antibiotics today as it is not looking better. Any suggestions on getting it to eat?
Felicia from Biota checking in today. I'm sorry to hear she's not eating. I agree with the others above, likely a small physical injury that got infected. Our fish typically go after small pellets, even when they're a little stressed out. Usually when our fish lose their appetite, it's due to extreme stress. Quarantine tanks can be rough on fish with their lack of maturity and stability. We have some tips for keeping a quarantine tank in good shape to reduce stress and hopefully getting her eating again: https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/blogs/news/the-secret-to-a-healthy-quarantine-aquarium

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On second dose of Kanaplex. Not seeing any improvement.
79E9E1FE-2D18-4974-9567-8B7301BD36F5.jpeg

Looks worse to me. Antibiotics are slow to take affect, and that is a huge issue with aggressive infections, but I don't see any other recourse at this point.

Jay

OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks worse to me. Antibiotics are slow to take affect, and that is a huge issue with aggressive infections, but I don't see any other recourse at this point.

Jay
Just thinking ahead here. If it doesn't look any better by Saturday do you think it would be better to switch to Neoplex or try a third dose of Kanaplex? It is at least eating brine shrimp now.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felicia from Biota checking in today. I'm sorry to hear she's not eating. I agree with the others above, likely a small physical injury that got infected. Our fish typically go after small pellets, even when they're a little stressed out. Usually when our fish lose their appetite, it's due to extreme stress. Quarantine tanks can be rough on fish with their lack of maturity and stability. We have some tips for keeping a quarantine tank in good shape to reduce stress and hopefully getting her eating again: https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/blogs/news/the-secret-to-a-healthy-quarantine-aquarium

I’ve found this advice solid for the biota angels I recently got. Keep the tank clean and do regular water changes every other day. I got them to eat small hikari pellets if I ground them a little with my fingers before putting in the tank. Now they are ferocious eaters.

Is the CB eating?

OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found this advice solid for the biota angels I recently got. Keep the tank clean and do regular water changes every other day. I got them to eat small hikari pellets if I ground them a little with my fingers before putting in the tank. Now they are ferocious eaters.

Is the CB eating?
I clean the tank after every feeding and did a large almost 100% water change this morning before re dosing Kanaplex. As of right now I think it may be eating some brine shrimp but I had no luck with small pellets thus far but will try again in the morning if it’s still alive.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TinyReef522

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it does look like the fish is showing signs of a systemic infection now.

Just checking - the ammonia in this tank is ok?

Jay
Yeah the I have an ammonia badge and salifert test both show 0. Is there anything else to do at this point? I do have methylene blue, would a dip in that help at all? I only ask because it’s something we actually use on patients intravenously as a last line of defense for some types of shock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back