Biota Yellow Tang Growth

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it strange my little Biota yellow tang hasn’t really grown at all in two years? Added it 1/7/22. The tank is a 60 cube and I planned on moving him to my larger tank after he grew some, but never has lol! I thought fish grow as large as their surroundings was a myth?

Not complaining at all, I think he’s cute being that small, maybe he’s a dwarf? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they could truly breed a reliably 'dwarf' but healthy yellow tang, I think it would be extremely popular as it would presumably be compatible with smaller aquariums.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's the photo but a 2 year old yt looks underfed, a bit malnourished.

With that said. You also have to consider these are captive bred and there's a huge possibility that it didn't get something critical during the early stages of life that healthy natural bred yt get in the wild.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it strange my little Biota yellow tang hasn’t really grown at all in two years? Added it 1/7/22. The tank is a 60 cube and I planned on moving him to my larger tank after he grew some, but never has lol! I thought fish grow as large as their surroundings was a myth?

Not complaining at all, I think he’s cute being that small, maybe he’s a dwarf? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg
Thats crazy. Mine has grown a lot in the few months Ive had him!

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's the photo but a 2 year old yt looks underfed, a bit malnourished.

With that said. You also have to consider these are captive bred and there's a huge possibility that it didn't get something critical during the early stages of life that healthy natural bred yt get in the wild.
Idk gets fed at least once a day with a mix of frozen and algae clip every day or every other. Has to be some captive bred genetic thing

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish in your tank that I see (cardinal, clown, gramma) are good with once daily feeding (plus algae). But I would make sure the YT gets nori at least once a day and fed at least 2 more times. Your tank looks really awesome, but I don’t see lots of algae for the YT to graze on.

I am in a similar situation and added an eheim auto feeder to add pellets throughout the day (in addition to my hand feedings).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back