Birds nest VS Birds nest

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a birds nest frag 6 months ago, it’s thriving, polyps fully extended and has tripled its growth. Good times. Then a month or so ago, I got a freebie birds nest with an order. Looked identical to my old frag, so I Placed it near the other birds nest in the tank. All was well and both frags thriving and loving life, until I noticed that the tips of the older one was bleaching a little around two tips. Over the next few days it was getting getting worse. I checked for pests at night, nothing. So today I noticed that the newer frag had grown really close to the older one, and the polyps were about 4 times as long in the area where the two frags meet, and it was stingy the hell out of the other, causing the damage. Is this normal to have the same species but from a different colony battle it out? Obviously I have to move the smaller one, but I’m wondering if this is normal behaviour for this particular species. I searched for answers but didn’t find much out.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you POSITIVE they are the same? Do you have photos?

It’ll save a thousand words
The only thing I’m certain about in this hobby is that I spend too much $.

See photos. The smaller frag on the right circled in red, is the culprit stinging the frag on the left. The two white tips are where the two meet closely.

0D742DF3-8B26-4CC1-BFF4-15C4E0488D1F.jpeg
4387B6BE-408A-43BA-B3B5-224B978760C3.jpeg
21FC9AE3-871E-45C4-8E28-A7514C84A1BB.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Stylophora. Even with coral of the same species, it isn’t always guaranteed they’ll get along. I’ve had stylos win it out over acropora before too. They are pretty tough sometimes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would cut off the dead piece (a little short of the line of tissue) - meaning cut a small amount of tissue off - and move the second frag somewhere else

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those look pretty alike and I agree that’s most likely stylo. Depending how long yours has been in vs the new piece, our corals in our tanks get used to the tank and protect themselves to their environment. Introducing the new one may have disturbed that.

These are all just things I’ve heard over time. I don’t have proof of it.

Still looks great tho!!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back