Birdsnest Pest ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter randoma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

randoma

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2018
Messages
39
Reaction score
17
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been having a problem with something eating my birdsnest...

Sorry the pictures aren't that good. Anyone know what they are? So far they're only eating birdsnest(!) Although I found some recession on a monti, I didn't find any creatures on it. But I lost a fairly large colony of birdsnest and this one is super infested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDvVQgvcaCKchM7i9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PBg6FQ2uckvT4j1g9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1tKsTr9Cq7NS1hXm6

Whatever they are, they're super sticky - I can't blow them off although they come off with tweezers.
 
Do they move? Kind of look like pineapple sponges but idk if the would grow on living corals.

Pretty sure they're not sponges - they do move. So far I'm only finding them on birdsnest, stylophora and some on a seratosa. None on any LPS or Acro/Monti, although the monti that's right next to the birdsnest has had some recession over the last couple days.
 
I agree with others. Looks like sponge growing on the dead parts of the coral. I also see some vermetid snails on it as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new